By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 43, 2021 - (18th Oct - 24th Oct)

ShadowLink93 said:

Actually the 8th fiscal year for both DS and 3DS are almost the same 2.35m to 2.55m.

Is the by any chance a table like this for most of the major platforms if not all of them?

Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:

Actually the 8th fiscal year for both DS and 3DS are almost the same 2.35m to 2.55m.

You are not only right, but actually DS was even selling more than 3DS launch aligned

DS quarters 29 to 32: 3,5
3DS quarters 29 to 32: 2,85

I will correct my post, so others won't need to correct it again 

Wyrdness said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Is the by any chance a table like this for most of the major platforms if not all of them?

These are the only platforms (along with Wii u) that have all quarterly official shipments released publicly by the hardware maker. PS1 & PS2 have yearly sales data but not quarterly and PS3 only has yearly up until it's fifth year before sony stopped for some reason. Fortunately Sony is now fully transparent with hardware sales for PS4 & Ps5. Microsoft never reveal sales data not even yearly or lifetime and Nintendo started to release all console sales to the public starting with the DS, before that they only shared annual or lifetime sales for their consoles.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 01 November 2021

Wyrdness said:
ShadowLink93 said:

Game sales wiki have some official data for other consoles, just type in the console you want info on, heres PS2 yearly sales data https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/PlayStation_2.

IcaroRibeiro said:
xPhenom08x said:

The funny part about this market confusion and late peak nonsense is the Switch sold more in its first year than WiiU did lifetime. The Switch also sold like 3 million its first year in Japan, ask Playstation how hard that is for home consoles. The market was never confused, that is just you. 3ds userbase was clearly already supporting Switch, it doesn't sell like it does in its first year with just Nintendo home console purchasers. It's first year is better than the PS4s first year. Will probably be too high for PS5s as well. This is the type of conclusion you come to when you are only interested in an agenda. Real market analysis would look at its performance and never entertain the idea of 3ds owners not buying a clearly portable platform from Nintendo(Switch) from the very beginning. 

What is the correlation between Switch outselling Wii U with anything I've said in my post? What's the correlation with Sony, PS4 sales or PS5 sales in Japan whatsoever? I'm curious, what "agenda" do I have exactly? You seem more aware of it that I do

Of course 3DS userbase was supporting Switch, but it wasn't a quick replacement. Switch is not BC to 3DS, unlike 3DS from DS or DS from GBA. It was not a hardware that made the hardware that came before irrelevant, that was still reasons to get a 3DS in early Switch life and late adopters of 3DS of course had many reasons to wait until the truth about what IPs were coming to Switch or not. 

Heck, I didn't even said that I don't think Switch is the replacement from 3DS, merely stated we should not expect the drops from Switch after Switch 2 launch being the same of 3DS, rather to expect DS-level YoY drops. 

In your post I quoted you said the market was confused about whether the Switch was a direct successor. You also said the 3ds userbase didn't jump behind Switch massively until later which helped cause the late peak. So my question is who was buying Switch in 2017 if 3ds users were not? Switch had one of the best first years in history yet 3ds users were confused according to you? It must have been those 13 million WiiU owners even though Switch first year was 15 million? Something isn't adding up! Maybe the market wasn't confused and it was all you being confused. Japan was brought up to help further prove it wasn't WiiU owners pushing Switch because home consoles no longer sell well in Japan according to many here. So that 3.3 million first year for Switch was obviously 3ds owners. My point is, it is clearly 3ds owners that are buying Switch from the beginning because it is its direct successor lol. It was a traditional transition from 3ds to Switch just like DS to 3DS as proved by your failure at saying Ds died quicker.

Around the Network
Farsala said:

Before the Switch, it is really quite easy. Handheld to handheld is direct successor, home console to home console is direct successor.

Only questions we might have are which consoles are the 3DS and PS Vita's successors? For 3DS it is clearly the Switch. But I argue it is more indirectly compared with the Wii U.

I have no agenda here, I just like to talk about sales. Most of the time, I like to use past consoles as reference. The reason I use the DS over the 3DS is because people are expecting >30m, something the DS could do while the 3DS couldn't by a long shot.

When I quoted Tbone51, I didn't necessarily disagree with him. I wanted to add some more food for thought. It appears to have sparked an entirely different conversation though, which is fine.

Im not going to continue to debate this direct or indirect mess, you simply have no evidence to suggest the 3DS is an "indirect" successor. It declined normally after Switch hit the market just like DS did when 3DS hit the market. It kept getting games after its successor just like every Sony home console or Nintendo handheld console. It kept its library exclusive just like PS3 did compared to PS4. It lost its support to Switch just like every other platform with a successor on the market. Maybe what happened to WiiU had nothing to do with direct or indirect and more to do with WiiU flopping and Nintendo not wanting to waste the games they released on it. The market never treated 3DS any different, it declined normally and the userbase moved to Switch from the start. Nintendo gave 3DS a normal send off while killing the WiiU immediately because it was already dead lol. Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu released in just the Switch's second year, Nintendo never intended for the Switch to not be the 3DS's successor. The Switch's successor will have no more of an affect on Switch than Switch had on 3DS.

I confess this latest argument over direct/indirect successors just baffles me and seems pointless. The Switch ultimately succeeded both its home console and handheld predecessors as a hybrid unification of the two formerly separate product lines. What does it matter if Wii U was already dead while 3DS carried on for a while as systems that aren't flops tend to do?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 November 2021

curl-6 said:

I confess this latest argument over direct/indirect successors just baffles me and seems pointless. The Switch ultimately succeeded both its home console and handheld predecessors as a hybrid unification of the two formerly separate product lines. What does it matter if Wii U was already dead while 3DS carried on for a while as systems that aren't flops tend to do?

Yeah, I wonder myself how the discussion even sparked. Nintendo themself said that split development was a burden on them and so they looked into unifying the library. Sure, Nintendo first marketed it more as a successor to the WiiU, but I think that is down to the 3DS still selling and selling software, they didn't wanted it to stop prematurely, while WiiU was pretty dead. As consumer research they released showed, some use the Switch nearly only as home console, some nearly only as handheld and some as both. So Switch clearly succeeds as a true hybrid. And therefore is a successor to both lines of consoles.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Not sure why anyone would take issue with my statement.

It is not a dig at the Switch at all, as I acknowledged that the Switch was the successor to both the Wii U and 3DS. I just expect the Switch 2 to be a hybrid console as well, and not a standalone handheld or home console. A prediction that could be very wrong.

For example if I learned that the PS6 or XB5 are hybrid consoles, I would definitely think the sales would be different.