By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 43, 2021 - (18th Oct - 24th Oct)

Switch is clearly the successor to both the N64 and Sega Genesis. All other answers in this thread are wrong and their posters in denial.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

Switch is clearly the successor to both the N64 and Sega Genesis. All other answers in this thread are wrong and their posters in denial.

Yeah, and Labo is the successor to the Virtual Boy.

Farsala said:

Whether it be direct or indirect, the Switch is still the successor to both the 3DS and the Wii U.

However, support for the Wii U dropped long before the 3DS and moved to the Switch, so that is why I want to differentiate them.

Something like Super Mario Odyssey was in the works for at least 3 years, if not more. Meanwhile in 2017 3DS got Fire Emblem, Metroid, Pokemon, Yoshi etc.

So again, then 3DS is the indirect successor to DS because it still got exclusive games after 3DS see Pokemon.

xPhenom08x said:
Farsala said:

Whether it be direct or indirect, the Switch is still the successor to both the 3DS and the Wii U.

However, support for the Wii U dropped long before the 3DS and moved to the Switch, so that is why I want to differentiate them.

Something like Super Mario Odyssey was in the works for at least 3 years, if not more. Meanwhile in 2017 3DS got Fire Emblem, Metroid, Pokemon, Yoshi etc.

So again, then 3DS is the indirect successor to DS because it still got exclusive games after 3DS see Pokemon.

All of which were playable on the 3DS.

Zippy6 said:
Farsala said:

I agree with you, the switch is a successor to both and the only Nintendo console going forward but it was more of a direct replacement to WiiU.

The pricepoint was WiiU level, not 3ds. The 3DS kept getting its own exclusive games while WiiU got a crossgen game with the Switch and then was completely and immediately replaced by the Switch, with the majority of its games ending up on Switch.

The 3DS kept its identity and place. The WiiU was completely and totally wiped out by the Switch.

Most platforms keep their identity, I noticed he has continued to dodge the question of why this doesn't apply to other platforms. According to this logic then 3DS is indirectly the DS successor. It didn't keep its place because the Switch has clearly replaced it, Switch received a mainline pokemon game in 2018. No other home console has ever received a mainline pokemon game, yet the Switch does? 

The pricing comes from Nintendo home line heritage but the launch strategy comes from the handheld line. We have seen Nintendo launch two handhelds outside of the holiday season (GBA & 3DS). The pricing is because Nintendo likes making money lol. 

As multiple people have already stated, the WiiU flopped so Nintendo moved its games to Switch because of all the wasted potential in its games. How someone is trying to spin that into WiiU direct successor is hilarious, but it is also pointless. If you admit it succeeds both then why does direct and indirectly even matter? 3DS never trotted along because the Switch definitely toke its support and collapsed from there. Fire Emblem & Luigi went to Switch just two years latter. Pokemon was there after just one year. 

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
xPhenom08x said:

All of which were playable on the 3DS.

Ps3 to PS4 was indirect then?

IcaroRibeiro said:

I agree partially with Farsala point. Switch was desgined to be the sucessor of both Wii U and 3DS in theory, and Switch Lite would be the plan B if the hybrid tanked. 3DS still got exclusives and their games were not ported to Switch, overall Nintendo was satisfied to give 3DS a end of life and showed commitment with 3DS userbase, something they don't do often. However plans and reality often clash, I don't think the market saw Switch as direct sucessor of 3DS at first

One of the most underestimated reasons for Switch late peak is 3DS. 3DS userbase didn't massively come to Switch until the system was a bit more mature. Remember Switch hybrid model was a entirely new concept and one couldn't be sure by 2017 it was really the hardware that was going to get t all Nintendo IPs (including the ones mostly know for hanhelds like Pokemon and Animal Crossing), as such market showed some skepticism towards Switch. Remember the price trag of 300 USD was so far unheard from handheld gamers.

The next gen will probably see a sharp drop, as Switch 2 or whatever it will be called will not have the same skepticism or confusion. If it will be even worse if the system is fully backwards compatible as it will for all purposes make the original Switch outdated. I guess Nintendo will want it to make a fast transition deploying the same strategy Sony is doing now with PS5 and PS4. As such I'm expecting DS-levels of decline YoY (60% decline when the system launches, 65% decline the year later, 70% decline in the third year followed by death)

The question is how long is Nintendo waiting to launch Switch sucessor. Christmas 2023 seems to early, yet if they are going to use Sony model it makes sense to keep giving strong software releases in the end of life of the console as they will be be upgraded and sold as launch titles of Switch 2. Anyway, I'm betting Christmas 2024 or early 2025

The funny part about this market confusion and late peak nonsense is the Switch sold more in its first year than WiiU did lifetime. The Switch also sold like 3 million its first year in Japan, ask Playstation how hard that is for home consoles. The market was never confused, that is just you. 3ds userbase was clearly already supporting Switch, it doesn't sell like it does in its first year with just Nintendo home console purchasers. It's first year is better than the PS4s first year. Will probably be too high for PS5s as well. This is the type of conclusion you come to when you are only interested in an agenda. Real market analysis would look at its performance and never entertain the idea of 3ds owners not buying a clearly portable platform from Nintendo(Switch) from the very beginning. 

Last edited by xPhenom08x - on 01 November 2021

xPhenom08x said:

If you admit it succeeds both then why does direct and indirectly even matter?

It doesn't matter that much, you're the one getting upset about it and viewing it as some sort of attack.

xPhenom08x said:

This is just another thinly disguised way of making the Switch whatever we want to fit our agenda. It's a home console or WiiU successor when discussing it's eventual downfall or sales trajectory. It's a handheld or 3DS successor when discussing why it's outselling Playstation.

3DS still had a place in the market after the Switch had launched as a much cheaper device with a completely different library of games. Switch was a complete replacement of the WiiU. It succeeds both but it is a more direct replacement of the WiiU which it made irrelevant. That's the only point I'm making.

Zippy6 said:
xPhenom08x said:

It doesn't matter that much, you're the one getting upset about it and viewing it as some sort of attack.

xPhenom08x said:

This is just another thinly disguised way of making the Switch whatever we want to fit our agenda. It's a home console or WiiU successor when discussing it's eventual downfall or sales trajectory. It's a handheld or 3DS successor when discussing why it's outselling Playstation.

3DS still had a place in the market after the Switch had launched as a much cheaper device with a completely different library of games. Switch was a complete replacement of the WiiU. It succeeds both but it is a more direct replacement of the WiiU which it made irrelevant. That's the only point I'm making.

I am not upset at all, this is hilarious. I have only pointed out exactly what this really is. When discussing the Switch's eventual downfall or collapse that's when it's a home console or WiiU/Wii successor. Look at his post, he conveniently brings up direct/indirect when talking about the Switchs trajectory. If it follows 3DS which had a gradual declines then Switch does over 30 million easily. Something he disagrees with so in order to explain his stance or stick to his agenda, the Switch is now just an indirect successor. When explaing why the Switch is kicking playstations ass in Japan, he will call it 3DS's successor. It all depends on the agenda for the day!

What predecessor doesn't have what 3DS had? It was a cheaper option with it'd own library of games. You used 3Ds backward compatibility to wiggly out of DS to 3DS, so now do the same with PS3 to PS4.

Zippy6 said:
xPhenom08x said:

xPhenom08x said:

All Nintendo portables had a place after their successors arrived much like the 3DS the problem with your mode of logic is that it's looking at one thing and ignoring others every portable they had got support after their successor arrived before being phased out while every home platform outside of the SNES was stopped when their successor arrived because home platforms required more resources so what you're seeing now is no different to how things were before it's no indication of it being more of a successor to one than any other as it has followed the same path all the prior platforms in both markets have gone in succeeding their predecessor.