By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 13.4 Million Units as of September 30, PS4 Ships 116.6 Million

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 Ships 13.4 Million Units as of September 30, PS4 Ships 116.6 Million 

Sony Interactive Entertainment in its financial results announced it has shipped 13.4 million PlayStation 5 consoles as of September 30, 2021.

For reference, the PlayStation 4 had shipped 13.8 million units as of September 30, 2014. This puts the PS5 behind shipped PS4 units by 400,000.

With 13.4 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of September 2021 that means 3.3 million units were shipped from July to September. Demand for the console is still well above what Sony is able to supply.

Sony shipped 0.2 million PlayStation 4 consoles for the quarter, which is down from 1.5 million for the same quarter a year ago. Lifetime PlayStation 4 shipments are currently at 116.6 million units.

There were a total of 76.4 million games sold on the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 for the quarter. This is down 5.4 million from 81.8 million during the same period a year earlier. Digital sales accounted for 62 percent of software sales.

There were 7.6 million first-party games sold across the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4. This is down 5.2 million from 12.8 million first-party games sold a year ago. 

The number of PlayStation Plus subscribers is now at 47.2 million, which is up 1.3 million from 45.9 million from the same quarter a year ago. There are 104 million monthly active users.

Sony's Game & Network Services Segment for the quarter ending September 30, 2021, reported revenue increased 27 percent year-over-year to 645.5 billion yen ($5.68 billion), while operating income dropped 22 percent to 82.7 billion yen ($0.73 billion).

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Safe to say we are slightly overtracked with PS4 with our numbers just 40,000 behind shipment figures. A shame with its low shipment figures of just 200K. 

As for PS5 numbers, we currently have a gap of about 920K between shipped vs sold. We are fairly close, but on the lower end of what would make sense with it selling out pretty fast. I will give it a small adjustment up, which means we will have its figures above 13 million for week of October 16. As a reminder it takes a few weeks to ship consoles worldwide.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

It will be a close battle between the PS4 and PS5 aligned this year, I don't know which one will win. The demand for PS5 is higher, although the PS4 wasn't widely available either. Anyway the holidays will be an interesting time. Lately the PS5 seems to be slightly more in stock, at least above 200k or 225k even each week.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

That's some really good tracking by you guys then in all honesty.

Yes it is good despite the Jim Ryan Blunders

Around the Network

They're really having trouble making enough consoles.

My Xbox Series S is my baby.

PS4 really seems to be nearing the end of the road.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Looks like the PS4 will never outsell the Game Boy.

curl-6 said:

PS4 really seems to be nearing the end of the road.

Yeah they've just left it to die. Amazon UK doesn't even have PS4 in stock, and with no price cuts paying £260 for a 500gb PS4 is insane.

My Xbox Series S is my baby.

Playstation 4 is Dying so fast, when a console is selling just 200K in a Quarter the end is near. Shame, it would have been great to have a third system pass 120m.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 28 October 2021