By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 13.4 Million Units as of September 30, PS4 Ships 116.6 Million

With those software numbers, the number of PS4 games sold is around 1650 million units.
The PS4 has an attach ratio of about 14.1 games per console.

Is that the highest ratio for any console/handheld??

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:

With those software numbers, the number of PS4 games sold is around 1650 million units.
The PS4 has an attach ratio of about 14.1 games per console.

Is that the highest ratio for any console/handheld??

Not sure, but certainly is the highest SW sold ever on a console or handheld platform

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PS4 vs Gameboy is coming right down to the wire. Will be very close either way.

Rafie said:
curl-6 said:

PS4 really seems to be nearing the end of the road.

The pandemic pretty much killed it. After stock went out, no more PS4s were getting manufactured. Of course priority shifted to the new consoles. Hence the stalled hardware. Shame really. I thought for sure it would have gotten to at least 125m.

I wouldn't say the pandemic killed it. It over 6 years old already when covid started in earnest, so it was already slowing down; as others have already said, once it was replaced Sony would rather people buy a PS5 than a PS4 so they opted not to take extraordinary measure to prolong the latter's life and just let it ride out what momentum it had left.

curl-6 said:

Rafie said:

The pandemic pretty much killed it. After stock went out, no more PS4s were getting manufactured. Of course priority shifted to the new consoles. Hence the stalled hardware. Shame really. I thought for sure it would have gotten to at least 125m.

I wouldn't say the pandemic killed it. It over 6 years old already when covid started in earnest, so it was already slowing down; as others have already said, once it was replaced Sony would rather people buy a PS5 than a PS4 so they opted not to take extraordinary measure to prolong the latter's life and just let it ride out what momentum it had left.

I would say that if they had done a pricecut the pandemic would have boosted the sales of PS4 even on the verge of death.

So yes the decision to let PS4 and X1 die was from their manufacturers, not fault of pandemic. The shortages of PS5 and Series can be partially faulted to pandemic thought.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

I would say that if they had done a pricecut the pandemic would have boosted the sales of PS4 even on the verge of death.

So yes the decision to let PS4 and X1 die was from their manufacturers, not fault of pandemic. The shortages of PS5 and Series can be partially faulted to pandemic thought.

Sony must've been making a lot of money on each PS4 sold at $300 by 2020, so they chose profits over sales numbers in the short term, then once PS5 was out the new system became their priority.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Sony must've been making a lot of money on each PS4 sold at $300 by 2020, so they chose profits over sales numbers in the short term, then once PS5 was out the new system became their priority.

That would be my guess as well, they decided that whatever extra number they could sell with the system at 150 or 200 wouldn`t generate extra royalties from SW enough to justify it.

Sadly right now it wouldn't make sense anymore to make a PS4 SoC that allow to cut its price to cheap entry level system. Pandemic chip shortages and logistic problems really killed any plan to extend its life, unless economic recovery boost again chipmaking R&D and resources to levels allowing to make such SoC at a cost low enough to make the operation low-risk (older gen consoles, requiring much less computing power, are far easier to remake using emulation and cheap customisations of generic low-cost SoC, allowing Ninty, the most important company to make such replicas right now, to profit also on relatively low sales volumes, but probably PS4 power is still out of reach for the cheapest options).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

BraLoD said:
Radek said:

I still think keeping PS4 Slim 500gb as the only model and priced at $199 would have been worth it for Sony.

After all Sony in 2020 was all about "We believe in generations", but since then we got Horizon FB, GT7, and GOW Ragnarok confirmed for PS4.

As someone pointed to me here, they may not be able to do more PS4s as what they get they use to make PS5s.

But Sony refusing to give it a price cut all this time was just plain stupid considering the games they were developing would still all land on PS4.

If they're not going to produce many more PS4s they probably want to make sure they at least make a big profit margin on each one they do sell, hence keeping it at $300.

Well there's the super slim possibility, that the lack of PS4's is due to a new super slim model coming out. How it wouldn't have leaked by now seems impossible, but regardless this is pretty unlikely based on the shortage scenario. Any capacity SNY may have had lined up with TSMC for PS4 7nm APU's would likely be better diverted to PS5 APU's instead.

SNY has no choice but to take the long game into account, and because of that, even if they felt they could profit more off of PS4's right now, they had to make sure not to potentially let XB Series consoles get too much momentum. A weak start to a gen just causes bigger headaches that drags on, and SNY definitely remembers what it was like when they gave XB 360 a year head start. Since the XB Series consoles are proving stronger for MS than both XB1 and XB360, SNY has to keep PS5 at the forefront, even if that means sacrificing future PS4 sales.

Radek said:
EricHiggin said:

Well there's the super slim possibility, that the lack of PS4's is due to a new super slim model coming out. How it wouldn't have leaked by now seems impossible, but regardless this is pretty unlikely based on the shortage scenario. Any capacity SNY may have had lined up with TSMC for PS4 7nm APU's would likely be better diverted to PS5 APU's instead.

SNY has no choice but to take the long game into account, and because of that, even if they felt they could profit more off of PS4's right now, they had to make sure not to potentially let XB Series consoles get too much momentum. A weak start to a gen just causes bigger headaches that drags on, and SNY definitely remembers what it was like when they gave XB 360 a year head start. Since the XB Series consoles are proving stronger for MS than both XB1 and XB360, SNY has to keep PS5 at the forefront, even if that means sacrificing future PS4 sales.

Yeah as you said it's pretty much impossible, also PS4 Slim is already so thin, small and light then I can't imagine how small 7nm Super Slim would have been.

Maybe something like this? The bottom one would be like PS2 Slim thin.