By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 13.4 Million Units as of September 30, PS4 Ships 116.6 Million

Wow the PS5 has been out for almost a year already.

Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:

Playstation 4 is Dying so fast, when a console is selling just 200K in a Quarter the end is near. Shame, it would have been great to have a third system pass 120m.

Just like the iPhone 12 tanks in sales numbers after 13 comes out.

Sony have realised that tail end hardware sales are not as important as getting your userbase onto the next generation quickly. Which is why the PS4 supply has pretty much been stopped by Sony and there have been no price cuts. They don't want people buying PS4s. They want PS4 customers to look at PS5.

This is quite different to the past where Sony would try to get as much from the tail end of the life cycle. BC is prob a big factor here as well.

PS4 could have easily sold 130M with price cuts and supply.Ultimately, focusing on PS5 is the better choice: quicker transition, more money and more marketshare taken from competitors.

After Four Quarters the PS5 is now Behind NSW launch aligned but will overtake it next quarter due to their holiday quarters being out of sync.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 28 October 2021

Seems like PS5 really was constrained this quarter, it is the first time behind PS4 in total shipments right?
And as expected without pricecut PS4 is dying.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Seems like PS5 really was constrained this quarter, it is the first time behind PS4 in total shipments right?

This quarter was pretty much a write off in competing with PS4 due to the Destiny bundle effect in September 2014. PS5 will likely make it up after the next 2 quarters though.

Around the Network
Qwark said:

It will be a close battle between the PS4 and PS5 aligned this year, I don't know which one will win. The demand for PS5 is higher, although the PS4 wasn't widely available either. Anyway the holidays will be an interesting time. Lately the PS5 seems to be slightly more in stock, at least above 200k or 225k even each week.

Official shipments for the calendar year after three quarters are 9.3m for PS4 in 2014 versus 8.9m for PS5 in 2021. A 400K lead for PS4 which then shipped 6.4m in holiday of 2014, so Ps5 needs 6.8m to tie. With the supply constraints i can't see Sony shipping almost 7 million consoles in three months, PS4 will win in it's first full year versus PS5 but only because of supply issues.

DonFerrari said:

It was 300K behind PS4 last quarter, 10.1m to 10.4m.

They said in August they had secured enough semiconducters to ship 22.6m by March 2022 so next quarter should see a large shipment and overtake the PS4 again.

ShadowLink93 said:
Qwark said:

It will be a close battle between the PS4 and PS5 aligned this year, I don't know which one will win. The demand for PS5 is higher, although the PS4 wasn't widely available either. Anyway the holidays will be an interesting time. Lately the PS5 seems to be slightly more in stock, at least above 200k or 225k even each week.

Official shipments for the calendar year after three quarters are 9.3m for PS4 in 2014 versus 8.9m for PS5 in 2021. A 400K lead for PS4 which then shipped 6.4m in holiday of 2014, so Ps5 needs 6.8m to tie. With the supply constraints i can't see Sony shipping almost 7 million consoles in three months, PS4 will win in it's first full year versus PS5 but only because of supply issues.

Well we know Sony confirmed back in August they have secured enough chips to meet their fiscal year target of 14.8M ending in March 2022. Along with the 7.8M they shipped before that will give them 22.6M PS5 vs. 22.3M PS4 for the same time period. So whether the calendar year falls short or not is up in the air still. They still have 9.2M consoles to ship over the next 2 quarters.

Meanwhile, the company reported record profits in its interim results.