By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Nearly Outsells Switch - Global Hardware Sep 26 to Oct 2

Alistair said:
Chrkeller said:

Lol, people don't want a Switch? It will be a top 5 all time greatest selling console ever.... maybe top 3.

They want a Nintendo home console, but they don't have a choice. It won't even beat the Xbox 360 in North America. Not really interested in what they buy in Japan.

The PlayStation, PS3, and PS4 didn't beat the XBox 360 in North America either.  Are you sure that's the metric you want to use to ridicule the Switch?

Around the Network
Alistair said:
Chrkeller said:

Lol, people don't want a Switch? It will be a top 5 all time greatest selling console ever.... maybe top 3.

They want a Nintendo home console, but they don't have a choice. It won't even beat the Xbox 360 in North America. Not really interested in what they buy in Japan.

No, but it will beat the ps4 in NA and likely be top 5 all time in NA.

If you don't like the switch, fair enough... but the thing is a monster.  Just accept it.

Not too mention:

A) the switch is a home console, I rarely take it out of the dock

B) the switch will outsell, in NA, all Nintendo home consoles....  with the exception of the Wii it already has passed Nintendo home consoles.  

Zippy6 said:
Alistair said:

Not really interested in what they buy in Japan.

Yet you have just been posting in the Japanese sales thread... Hmmmm!

"ps5-nearly-outsells-switch-global-hardware" is the thread... it's all the Switch boosters that are in the wrong place

Alistair said:
Zippy6 said:

Yet you have just been posting in the Japanese sales thread... Hmmmm!

"ps5-nearly-outsells-switch-global-hardware" is the thread... it's all the Switch boosters that are in the wrong place

Famitsu sales: Week 41, 2021 - (4th Oct - 10th Oct) (vgchartz.com)

*cough cough*

Chrkeller said:
Alistair said:

If you don't like the switch, fair enough... but the thing is a monster.  Just accept it.

It's fine, it is it's own market, for children, and portables, it has no competition. It is also based on brand loyalty, while most people just enjoy games instead of brands. 80 percent of gaming is on home consoles and PCs but you wouldn't know it from all the obsessive Switch loyalty around here... I'm mainly irritated that the great Nintendo has fallen so low. 10 years with Gamecube graphics. 10 years of PS3 level graphics (Wii U plus Switch). 20 years later, kind of tired of waiting for Nintendo to just release something decent. Series S level even.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 47

This weekly mini-series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch. 

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 13,873,334
  2. PS5: 12,441,653
  3. XSX|S: 7,611,536

Through the first 47 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 1.43 million units and is 6.26 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 4.83 million units.

The Switch has sold 13.87 million in 47 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 12.44 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 7.61 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 47 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 40.8 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 36.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.4 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. Switch: 5,068,113
  2. PS5: 4,568,313
  3. XSX|S: 3,583,818

Through the first 47 weeks available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.50 million units and is 1.48 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.98 million units.

The Switch has sold 5.07 million in 47 weeks in the US, while the PS5 sold 4.57 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 3.58 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 47 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 38.3 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 34.6 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 27.1 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (46 weeks):

1. PS5: 4,614,726
  2. Switch: 3,511,574
  3. XSX|S: 2,305,816

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 46 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.10 million units and is 2.31 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.21 million units.

The PS5 has sold 4.61 million in 46 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 3.51 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 2.31 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 46 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 44.2 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 33.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.1 percent.

The Switch didn't reach current PS5 sales until week 69.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 3,561,548
  2. PS5: 1,088,913
  3. XSX|S: 101,042

Through the first 47 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 2.47 million units and is 3.46 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.99 million units.

The Switch has sold 3.56 million units in 47 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 1.09 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.10 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 47 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 75.0 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 22.9 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 2.1 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Alistair said:
Chrkeller said:

It's fine, it is it's own market, for children, and portables, it has no competition. It is also based on brand loyalty, while most people just enjoy games instead of brands. 80 percent of gaming is on home consoles and PCs but you wouldn't know it from all the obsessive Switch loyalty around here... I'm mainly irritated that the great Nintendo has fallen so low. 10 years with Gamecube graphics. 10 years of PS3 level graphics (Wii U plus Switch). 20 years later, kind of tired of waiting for Nintendo to just release something decent. Series S level even.

Back up your claim with some kind of proof.

Alistair said:
Chrkeller said:

It's fine, it is it's own market, for children, and portables, it has no competition. 

Odd, given I'm 40 and play 100% docked, same with my brother.  Not too mention is has some of the highest rated games of the generation.

You appear to hate the switch and are angry because the masses don't agree.

Alistair said:
Chrkeller said:

So much angst against Nintendo...

Chrkeller said:
Alistair said:

It's fine, it is it's own market, for children, and portables, it has no competition. 

Odd, given I'm 40 and play 100% docked, same with my brother.  Not too mention is has some of the highest rated games of the generation.

You appear to hate the switch and are angry because the masses don't agree.

I don't hate it. I'm not ridiculing it. I think it is bad and it is a sad fall from grace for Nintendo, as they exited the home console market. And I think most gamers agree. And I'm glad to see the supply of the Xbox and PS are improving and now they are outselling the Switch 2 to 1, as home consoles should. And the Switch is sitting on the shelves at my Bestbuy, as it should. And the Switch is ridiculously more expensive than the PS and Xbox overall if you include an actual controller. Facts. Stop boosting an overpriced underperforming product, and recognize that a majority of gamers are not interested in it. 

Nobody likes it when marketing and a lack of common sense push a bad product at a high price. Feels like corporate abuse, get on the consumer's side instead.