By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Nearly Outsells Switch - Global Hardware Sep 26 to Oct 2

Alistair said:

Funny the media miss this: People prefer home consoles, and they are outselling mobile 2 to 1 right now. Everyone wants Nintendo to make a home console, but they don't.

And yet Switch is going to outsell every Nintendo home console.

Alistair said:

10 years of PS3 level graphics (Wii U plus Switch).

Switch has significantly better graphical abilities than the PS3. Not a generational leap over it due to its hybrid nature, but still a clear step up.

Alistair said:

Nobody likes it when marketing and a lack of common sense push a bad product at a high price. Feels like corporate abuse, get on the consumer's side instead.

I am a consumer, I'm very much on my own side, and Nintendo is certainly not "abusing" me by selling me one of the best systems I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

Around the Network
xPhenom08x said:

Who exactly is underestimating Playstation? Seems more like some victim syndrome going on in here. I think most people here believe it will sell somewhere around PS4 level. So far no reason to believe it will sell far more or less.

Not just victim syndrome but also reading way too deeply into things. I post a casual observation and at least one person seemed to think it was somehow me saying what I expect lifetime sales to be. Some people can get touchy when you bring up a possibility they would dislike happening and act like you're making a hard prediction.

Kyuu said:
Norion said:

Not just victim syndrome but also reading way too deeply into things. I post a casual observation and at least one person seemed to think it was somehow me saying what I expect lifetime sales to be. Some people can get touchy when you bring up a possibility they would dislike happening and act like you're making a hard prediction.

It isn't about you specifically though. Playstation gets underestimated pretty much every generation and a lot of people can't seem to learn from it. Curl is far from being a Playstation fan and yet he's noticing the patterns as well.

100 million being a worst case scenario isn't a bad prediction but it's okay to discuss it.

I wasn't referring to Curl there, his response was fine and it is fine to discuss it. I just think some of the response it got was unwarranted since some of it was treating it as a hard prediction.

360 was a monster in the U.S but is everyone so certain that Switch wont be able to surpass it?

This holiday and next year should gove a clear indication of whats to come.
I feel like it still has a shot.

DS likely wont be reached though.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Alistair said:

I don't hate it. I'm not ridiculing it. I think it is bad and it is a sad fall from grace for Nintendo, as they exited the home console market. And I think most gamers agree.

I don't want to drag on this topic but as someone who is first and foremost a Nintendo-gamer, owning all Nintendo consoles (except the Virtual Boy) I can somewhat relate to where Alistair is coming from. I play may Switch 95% docked and I always very much preferred Nintendo's home consoles over the handhelds. It is my wet dream that Nintendo will release a powerful home console in the future. But I understand that this is not very likely and I also understand why Nintendo is doing what they are doing. It simply makes the most sense, businesswise. Seeing that the Switch is tremendously successful, how will the successor look like? Well, most probably just a more powerful Switch (yes, probably with one or two new little gimmicks).

But how did Nintendo came to where they are now? Looking back, their handhelds were always much more successful than their home consoles and their profits even more so. You have to consider that handhelds are cheaper to make and their games are faster and cheaper to make, all resulting in adding up to the profit. Nevertheless, the Wii was tremendously successful and Nintendo thought they have found the golden formula for their home consoles, i.e. cheap casual console with a gimmick (remote controllers). But then, obviously, they didn't really understand their own golden formula and instead of continuing with just a more powerful Wii 2 (a Super Wii), they released the Wii U instead, a complete new console, expensive and with a complete new gimmick (gamepad with a screen). Sure, you still could use your Wii remote controllers on it but barely any new interesting game came out using them and the horrendous marketing did the rest to kill off the success of the Wii U.

With that, Nintendo was at their lowest point, even their newest handheld, the Nintendo 3DS, was not a success compared to its tremendously successful predecessor, the DS. I can only guess what Nintendo talked about then in their board meetings but I think they analysed the gaming market and looked at their competitors. Sony and Microsoft had successful powerful home consoles and it was clear where the road is leading to in the next generations: to even more powerful and even more expensive consoles. Sony and Microsoft will fight each other in a red ocean market with diminishing returns. So, they thought, if we enter this market as well, this red ocean will become even bloodier and the return will diminish even further. Further, they knew that Nintendo is a much smaller company than Sony and Microsoft, in order words, the war chests of their competitors are much bigger and they are able to stay in the fight for a much longer time. Sony and Microsoft can afford to sell consoles for a loss, Nintendo can't (yes they did it in the beginning for the Wii U but they hated it), Sony and Microsoft can afford to invest into expensive high-end servers for online gaming, related community services and support, etc. pp., Nintendo can't. For that, Nintendo must rely much more on expensive 3rd parties and external contractors than their competitors who have lots of the necessary knowledge and manpower inhouse. The 7. generation has shown that online gaming is huge and will have a huge growth rate. Nintendo will not really be able to compete with Sony and Microsoft on that ground. On top of it, smartphones came and became a serious thread for handheld consoles.

So what to do, they ask themselves? Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, "How about a hybrid console?", someone asked. All the others: "a hybrid console?" Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, "that's actually a very clever idea if we do it right!" Thus, project NX was born and resulted in the Nintendo Switch which in turn determined the fate of Nintendo... .

Around the Network
Norion said:
curl-6 said:

I'd be shocked if PS5 sells as low as 100m. Even with supply constraints it's outpacing the PS4, I see no reason at this point why it would sell less lifetime. I expect the PS + Xbox base will grow this gen to accommodate two systems both hotter than their predecessors.

The reason would be Xbox taking back some market share. 

Yeah but Microsoft launched a "complementary" console, to go alongside your Switch and/or your PS5, thus not necessary "taking back some market share"

Fight-the-Streets said:
Alistair said:

I don't hate it. I'm not ridiculing it. I think it is bad and it is a sad fall from grace for Nintendo, as they exited the home console market. And I think most gamers agree.

I don't want to drag on this topic but as someone who is first and foremost a Nintendo-gamer, owning all Nintendo consoles (except the Virtual Boy) I can somewhat relate to where Alistair is coming from. I play may Switch 95% docked and I always very much preferred Nintendo's home consoles over the handhelds. It is my wet dream that Nintendo will release a powerful home console in the future. But I understand that this is not very likely and I also understand why Nintendo is doing what they are doing. It simply makes the most sense, businesswise. Seeing that the Switch is tremendously successful, how will the successor look like? Well, most probably just a more powerful Switch (yes, probably with one or two new little gimmicks).

But how did Nintendo came to where they are now? Looking back, their handhelds were always much more successful than their home consoles and their profits even more so. You have to consider that handhelds are cheaper to make and their games are faster and cheaper to make, all resulting in adding up to the profit. Nevertheless, the Wii was tremendously successful and Nintendo thought they have found the golden formula for their home consoles, i.e. cheap casual console with a gimmick (remote controllers). But then, obviously, they didn't really understand their own golden formula and instead of continuing with just a more powerful Wii 2 (a Super Wii), they released the Wii U instead, a complete new console, expensive and with a complete new gimmick (gamepad with a screen). Sure, you still could use your Wii remote controllers on it but barely any new interesting game came out using them and the horrendous marketing did the rest to kill off the success of the Wii U.

With that, Nintendo was at their lowest point, even their newest handheld, the Nintendo 3DS, was not a success compared to its tremendously successful predecessor, the DS. I can only guess what Nintendo talked about then in their board meetings but I think they analysed the gaming market and looked at their competitors. Sony and Microsoft had successful powerful home consoles and it was clear where the road is leading to in the next generations: to even more powerful and even more expensive consoles. Sony and Microsoft will fight each other in a red ocean market with diminishing returns. So, they thought, if we enter this market as well, this red ocean will become even bloodier and the return will diminish even further. Further, they knew that Nintendo is a much smaller company than Sony and Microsoft, in order words, the war chests of their competitors are much bigger and they are able to stay in the fight for a much longer time. Sony and Microsoft can afford to sell consoles for a loss, Nintendo can't (yes they did it in the beginning for the Wii U but they hated it), Sony and Microsoft can afford to invest into expensive high-end servers for online gaming, related community services and support, etc. pp., Nintendo can't. For that, Nintendo must rely much more on expensive 3rd parties and external contractors than their competitors who have lots of the necessary knowledge and manpower inhouse. The 7. generation has shown that online gaming is huge and will have a huge growth rate. Nintendo will not really be able to compete with Sony and Microsoft on that ground. On top of it, smartphones came and became a serious thread for handheld consoles.

So what to do, they ask themselves? Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, "How about a hybrid console?", someone asked. All the others: "a hybrid console?" Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, "that's actually a very clever idea if we do it right!" Thus, project NX was born and resulted in the Nintendo Switch which in turn determined the fate of Nintendo... .

I guess I don't see Nintendo as having left the home console business....  I play my Switch just like a regular console all the time.  It has HD graphics, supports 4 players split screen, has digital surround sound.  It functions as both a mobile and home console.  Nintendo isn't into the graphics war and they shouldn't be.  Their best selling consoles were never the most powerful on the market.  In fact the few times they did play the graphics war, it didn't go well with the N64 and Gamecube.  

Nintendo isn't in the same market as Sony, they just aren't.  Their strategy is completely different and that is fine.  I don't personally want Nintendo to mimic Sony, because I already have a ps1/ps2/ps3/ps4/ps5.  Different is good.  Variety is good.  

And I would absolutely be stunned if Nintendo's next console isn't simply a Switch II.  The Switch will be a top 3 all time selling console, it only needs to sell something like 25 million more, which is doable between 2021 holidays and 2022.  It won't pass the DS or ps2, IMHO.  

Chrkeller said:
Fight-the-Streets said:

I guess I don't see Nintendo as having left the home console business....  I play my Switch just like a regular console all the time.  It has HD graphics, supports 4 players split screen, has digital surround sound.  It functions as both a mobile and home console.  Nintendo isn't into the graphics war and they shouldn't be.  Their best selling consoles were never the most powerful on the market.  In fact the few times they did play the graphics war, it didn't go well with the N64 and Gamecube.  

Nintendo isn't in the same market as Sony, they just aren't.  Their strategy is completely different and that is fine.  I don't personally want Nintendo to mimic Sony, because I already have a ps1/ps2/ps3/ps4/ps5.  Different is good.  Variety is good.  

And I would absolutely be stunned if Nintendo's next console isn't simply a Switch II.  The Switch will be a top 3 all time selling console, it only needs to sell something like 25 million more, which is doable between 2021 holidays and 2022.  It won't pass the DS or ps2, IMHO.  

now that is interesting and mainly dependant on when the NSW2 launches. march 2023 wouldn't be out of this world, would end the lifecycle of the OG switch at 6 years

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

SKMBlake said:
Norion said:

The reason would be Xbox taking back some market share. 

Yeah but Microsoft launched a "complementary" console, to go alongside your Switch and/or your PS5, thus not necessary "taking back some market share"

That is a good point so it is possible Xbox does notably better this gen without necessarily taking back much market share. Though stuff like the Zenimax acquisition makes me think it's extremely likely that at least a bit will be taken back.

Norion said:
SKMBlake said:

That is a good point so it is possible Xbox does notably better this gen without necessarily taking back much market share. Though stuff like the Zenimax acquisition makes me think it's extremely likely that at least a bit will be taken back.

I dunno, I don't really think Bethesda public is on the PS platform. I mean, Bethesda games are well known to be PC games first, Xbox games second and having their game on the PS3/PS4/Swtich is a nice addition but not fundamental.

When I hear "Starfield" or "Fallout" I immediatly assume it's a PC game for eg.

And I know sales numbers are pretty high on PS for Bethesda games, but let's face it, a Bethesda game spend 97% of its time being sold at 5 bucks, at some point you will eventually sell these games.