By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kingdom Hearts series coming to Switch as cloud versions

Bandorr said:

I don't known the time/money/effort required to "port" a game.  And perhaps the switch being both "portable" and "docked' makes that even trickier.

Also maybe they didn't want 1.5/2.5 to not be cloud, but 3 as cloud.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Bandorr said:

I don't known the time/money/effort required to "port" a game.  And perhaps the switch being both "portable" and "docked' makes that even trickier.

Also maybe they didn't want 1.5/2.5 to not be cloud, but 3 as cloud.

itit

It´s the laziest port ever

Remastered PS2, PSP and 3DS games as cloud versions...really? The definition of lazy, they could've ported them without any problem

Zippy6 said:

Lazy AF. 1.5 and 2.5 were on PS3 so obviously power isn't an issue in the slightest for them and they should have native versions. I could accept KH3 being cloud only but the others not being native versions is just insulting.

They simply don't want to put the effort in for the Switch.

The way people think the video game industry works is laughable.

They’re not sitting there at Square saying “We have a job to port these games over to Switch… but you know what? That’s boring! I’d rather do something else!”

It has nothing to do with laziness, it has to do with resources and ROI and feasibility. If it was feasible and Square felt it was worth the ROI, there are any number of teams they could pay to port it over.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Link_Nines.XBC said:

Remastered PS2, PSP and 3DS games as cloud versions...really? The definition of lazy, they could've ported them without any problem

Yep super lazy!

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Zippy6 said:

Lazy AF. 1.5 and 2.5 were on PS3 so obviously power isn't an issue in the slightest for them and they should have native versions. I could accept KH3 being cloud only but the others not being native versions is just insulting.

They simply don't want to put the effort in for the Switch.

The way people think the video game industry works is laughable.

They’re not sitting there at Square saying “We have a job to port these games over to Switch… but you know what? That’s boring! I’d rather do something else!”

It has nothing to do with laziness, it has to do with resources and ROI and feasibility. If it was feasible and Square felt it was worth the ROI, there are any number of teams they could pay to port it over.

Then call it Square being cheap. If CD Projekt Red could get the ENTIRE Witcher 3 game, including both expansions on a single cartridge, then Square could do the same on remastered PSP and PS3 games. There's no excuse. 

twintail said:
RedKingXIII said:

I just don't understand why they didn't even port the HD 1.5+2.5 natively. What's the issue? They're PS3 games. It's not hardware related. Is it storage? So then they couldn't just sell them separately and actually compress the games? Hell, they even did this before: iirc FF12 is like 50GB on PS4 and on Switch it fits a 16GB cart. Couldn't they do the same for 1.5 and 2.5? If the games are too big and they didn't want to spent too much on cartridges, couldn't they just do a digital only release? It's good that the games are on Switch in some form, but my god Square Enix is so stupid.

I mean, porting from PS3 to Switch is not like a day's work. PS4 to switch is obviously easier but it's still going to require a lot of work to do. 

The way I see it, they probably felt because KH3 was not something they were willing to port, there was no need for the other entries. 

It's hard to tell how much effort is really needed to put these games on Switch since the porting proccess is not as easy as doing a PS4 and XB1 version of a game, but still, the 1.5+2.5 Collection is a bunch PS2 and PSP games upscaled. They already ported other PS4 remasters of PS2 games to Switch too, so I really don't get it. I think maybe there's some technical issue and they don't think it's worth trying to or not possible to overcome, but in the end it's just a weird situation. Like I said, it's just PS2/PSP games upscaled. 

I was looking for a Switch port of KH eventually, I’m just gonna skip it if I’m forced to use the cloud, this makes no sense to me…

SKMBlake said:
burninmylight said:

which was a port of the X360 version

No, it was not. Not even the same engine. The Switch version uses the old engine before Frostbite used on PS4 and One versions.

Yeah, the Switch version uses the old engine before Frostbite used on PS4 and One... the Ignition engine... which was used for the X360 version of FIFA '18... which was ported to the Switch...

I know a lot of people have strong opinions on the whole native vs. cloud thing, but I'd like to ask another question:

If I have really good internet (I may get fiber soon), and if I had a choice between a native version of a game and a cloud one, wouldn't the cloud one be a more impressive experience? Isn't that the whole idea, to be able to pump out more graphically powerful experiences for people that have great internet speeds? Obviously, people without good (or any) internet are left out for cloud games, but for those of us with really good internet, I'm curious if it is actually a good thing to get the cloud version instead of just a native version.

Also, I am extremely excited about these games coming to Switch if they can be played well. I have, to my knowledge, never played a single second of these games but have wanted to play them for years. It baffles me it took this long for the mainline games to come to Nintendo seeing as the games appeal to the kind of gamers that primarily play on Nintendo systems. I'm still convinced KH games, if released in full on Nintendo platforms at the same time as other systems, would sell more on Nintendo than any other system because us Nintendo gamers love artfully-made, kid friendly adventure games. That's what Nintendo consoles are known for.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 05 October 2021