By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kingdom Hearts series coming to Switch as cloud versions

This is just pure lazy Square.
Hopefully people dont support this in big numbers.
If you have other options to play it, go play it there instead.

Around the Network

Forward thinking, Most games don’t need to run natively on the switch, certainly not a button-mashing-based series like kingdom hearts.

Instead of “but the older games could’ve run natively!!”, think about a future where “ff7r and all third party PS5/Xbone games will be playable on the Switch despite the massive power gap”.

Mind-boggling that they're going cloud-only with ports of PS2, PSP, and 3DS games.

The irony is we'd give them less flack and more credit if it was just Kingdom Hearts 3 on the cloud and the 2 collections weren't coming at all.

mZuzek said:
Dulfite said:

You'd prefer it over that, even if the cloud version had no lag due to amazing internet? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing Switch games on the go too (especially in my house), but for AAA higher quality games (like Botw or the upcoming Metroid Prime 4), I absolutely want to sit on the couch, turn down the lights, and immerse myself. And that immersion, if I understand correctly, would be improved by playing a cloud version if the internet is great.

Yeah, I would. No amazing internet is completely flawless, you can't ensure it'll never disconnect or have an error or whatever. And no amazing internet is going to have less frames of input delay as a game being played locally, quite the opposite.

Then there's the server issue. If I'm playing a game on cloud, that game's running on a server somewhere. A lot is said about digital games not being "forever", that you might lose access to them, and while that's not true of all digital games, it's absolutely true for cloud games. That server won't be running the game forever. That's just how it is. It's a service being sold as a product. No thanks.

I tried Control earlier (like 10 hours ago or something) on Switch. There was absolutely no detectable input lag on my end. Granted, the demo ended after only a few minutes, but still, I was left impressed.

Regarding owning the game, seeing as how I don't go back to games I've already beaten or put down (except Paper Mario), that wouldn't be a problem to a gamer like me. That's why I love Gamepass so much. I'm 30, have a wife, a child, and another one on the way. I have a career I like, and would like to spend a lot of my other creative juices writing books and doing wood-working projects when I'm not actively doing stuff with my family. The amount of time I have to play video games these days is considerably more limited than it was when I was single, without kids, or in college. I don't want to spend that time on games I've already experienced, so not owning a game matters very little to me. I'm fully aware I'm on anecdote in a world of billions of people and that I may be an outlier, yet I'm sure I represent at least a decent chunk of the gaming population and that matters.

And now one of the three Paper Mario games I replay will be available, more than likely going forward on future systems, for the, I'm assuming, cost of three trips to a coffee shop a year. I suspect TTYD and SPM will be available down the road on NSO (whether with Switch 1 or Switch 2) when GameCube and Wii games are added one day. The more Gamepass and NSO grows, the less need and desire I have to buy games.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 06 October 2021

Fuck Square

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Around the Network

Much Wow! Can't even port a PS3 game with simplified visuals. They do realise we have Doom Ethernal and Witcher 3 running on the Switch, right? I'll pass on that

Dulfite said:

If I have really good internet (I may get fiber soon), and if I had a choice between a native version of a game and a cloud one, wouldn't the cloud one be a more impressive experience? Isn't that the whole idea, to be able to pump out more graphically powerful experiences for people that have great internet speeds?

In some ways yes, because they can run the game with higher visual settings than your local hardware may be able to. On the other hand image quality will always be higher locally because there is no compression so it will be sharp. A game running at 1080p on stadia does not look like local 1080p, it's noticeably less sharp.

Though this doesn't apply if say... you have a switch that could only run the game at 540p, then it's possible a 720p stream would look just as good as sharp or better than running it natively at 540p.

Zippy6 said:
Dulfite said:

If I have really good internet (I may get fiber soon), and if I had a choice between a native version of a game and a cloud one, wouldn't the cloud one be a more impressive experience? Isn't that the whole idea, to be able to pump out more graphically powerful experiences for people that have great internet speeds?

In some ways yes, because they can run the game with higher visual settings than your local hardware may be able to. On the other hand image quality will always be higher locally because there is no compression so it will be sharp. A game running at 1080p on stadia does not look like local 1080p, it's noticeably less sharp.

Though this doesn't apply if say... you have a switch that could only run the game at 540p, then it's possible a 720p stream would look just as good as sharp or better than running it natively at 540p.

Indeed, you can have Control with Ray tracing on the Switch, which is far beyond impressive, or at 60fps (I recall the last gen couldn't run the game without ray tracing at a stable 30fps), in this case cloud gaming is a blessing on the Switch.

Same goes with Hitman 3, which is a huge game with great sandbox and gorgeous environments, perfect as well. 

But for PS2 remasters ? I'm sorry but no. 

I never got to play the Kingdom Hearts games. While I have a PS4, I don't really have the time. Being able to play an actual portable version would have been what finally got me to try the series. Needless to say, I will not be trying the series.

Well cloud gaming is gaining in populairty and devs will continue trying to push it.