By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: At least 11 studios are in possession of a 4K Development Kit for the Nintendo Switch.

Are we getting a Switch Pro Next Year?

Yes 7 21.21%

No 26 78.79%

See Results 0 0%

Total:33

I never believed in a "Pro" model for Switch, splitting your user base in two just doesn't make sense for Nintendo or 3rd parties. If those rumors are true it's for the Super Switch not a Switch revision.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

I never believed in a "Pro" model for Switch, splitting your user base in two just doesn't make sense for Nintendo or 3rd parties. If those rumors are true it's for the Super Switch not a Switch revision.

To be fair, we thought the same thing about the New Nintendo 3DS model but they did it anyway.  

So it was all a lie by Bloomberg, great, suspiciously a week away from the Switch OLED released day.

Last edited by Teriol - on 30 September 2021

34 years playing games.

it is a Switch2 which is very normal, it's been 4.5 years already

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

hinch said:
Otter said:

Its not true because its not a Switch.

Either way I think this is now a non story, meaning its probably outdated kit that for an upgrade that was cancelled.⁶

Look at how carefully worded that response from Nintendo is. Its hard to imagine all 11 sources being wrong.

There's years of planning for hardware releases, you don't simply cancel them.

Fyi Takashi Mochizuki was the same person who reported dev kits going out for the NX (Nintendo Switch) in 2015.

"The exact shape of the NX hardware isn't yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U's capabilities didn't match those of competitors. "

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-begins-distributing-software-kit-for-new-nx-platform-1444996588

I mean, yes and no. They're certainly planned years in advance, but plans do still change, and sometimes things are cancelled outright. Even going by Nintendo's history, this could be a similar story to the Game Boy, where a full successor was planned for release around 1998 (which was officially shown by Nintendo over a decade later) but due to Pokémon reinvigorating the system, they opted to just release a modest upgrade instead with the Game Boy Color. Could be the same with Switch 4K and OLED, with the factors leading to it being that Switch is still performing very well, and the chip shortage making them want to elongate the standard Switch's lifespan.

Other cancelled Nintendo handhelds include the GBA 2, and a 3DS successor separate from the Switch, both of which Nintendo confirmed were in the works, yet never happened. (I guess we technically have no idea if the 3DS successor was cancelled but I mean, it's pretty obvious) 

Around the Network
Zero_Revolution said:
hinch said:

Look at how carefully worded that response from Nintendo is. Its hard to imagine all 11 sources being wrong.

There's years of planning for hardware releases, you don't simply cancel them.

Fyi Takashi Mochizuki was the same person who reported dev kits going out for the NX (Nintendo Switch) in 2015.

"The exact shape of the NX hardware isn't yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U's capabilities didn't match those of competitors. "

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-begins-distributing-software-kit-for-new-nx-platform-1444996588

I mean, yes and no. They're certainly planned years in advance, but plans do still change, and sometimes things are cancelled outright. Even going by Nintendo's history, this could be a similar story to the Game Boy, where a full successor was planned for release around 1998 (which was officially shown by Nintendo over a decade later) but due to Pokémon reinvigorating the system, they opted to just release a modest upgrade instead with the Game Boy Color. Could be the same with Switch 4K and OLED, with the factors leading to it being that Switch is still performing very well, and the chip shortage making them want to elongate the standard Switch's lifespan.

Other cancelled Nintendo handhelds include the GBA 2, and a 3DS successor separate from the Switch, both of which Nintendo confirmed were in the works, yet never happened. (I guess we technically have no idea if the 3DS successor was cancelled but I mean, it's pretty obvious) 

It's doubtful this would happen today. 

Modern chip designs are not cheap, especially Nvidia ones. The 90s/even early 2000s was a totally different time. If Nintendo invested in a 4K capable chip design to the point where dozens (?) of developers were given actual development kits, I doubt it would be cancelled. 

I mean for what even? The Switch itself is a few months shy of 5 years old, which is getting onto the older side for any game system, its no longer a spring chicken, so a successor chip has to be in development by this point in time anyway. 

From what I understand as well Project: Atlantis (cancelled Game Boy successor) and the GBA2 never got out of prototype stage either, they never had dev kits given to broad 3rd parties. When you are sending dev kits out to developers to begin software development you've basically committed to the system becoming a consumer product. You don't waste developers' time by giving them a dev kit to work on for months and then not having hardware release, even Sega never did that. 

Not to mention if that ever happened anonymous devs would blab about it immediately to the gaming press "I worked for 3 months on a Nintendo prototype game and they cancelled it!!", that story would be everywhere. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 30 September 2021

My guess, Switch successor will be released in March 2023, exactly 6 years after Switch launch.BOTW 2 will be the big launch title... it´ll be cross gen, still on the original Switch, but looking and running far better on the 'Super Switch'.

SvennoJ said:

Aww, no Super Switch U (yet)

I laughed far too hard and far too long at this :D

Add in an Ultra, but keep the original U.... and maybe a new and a 128. Super newSwitch Ultra U 128 XLi

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Nintendo did patent their own Ai Upscaling technology back in March 25, 2020 but got published last week

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2021/0304356.html

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

hinch said:

Yeah its pretty obvious a new Switch is in the works.

Going to say they're gearing up for Switch 2 next year (Q4). By which time it will be just over 5 years since the NSW launch, which sounds about right for a Nintendo hardware cycle.

Nintendo has never released a successor to a platform as successful as the Switch less than 6 years before the initial release.

The Game Boy Color took forever. And if you don't even count it as a successor, then the gap between the GB and GBA was even more pronounced. 

The 3DS launched 6 years and a few months after the DS

The Wii U launched 6 years after the Wii.

I know the DS launched not too long after the GBA. But the Switch has outsold the GBA by a notable margin, and the DS was genuinely going to be a third-pillar. But by late 2005 or so, Nintendo saw the writing on the wall. The DS had earned its spot beyond third pillar and as a true successor to the GBA. 

The Switch could have a successor in late 2022, but I don't see it. Q1 2023 seems the earliest, and I find Q4 2023 the most likely of all.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima