By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: At least 11 studios are in possession of a 4K Development Kit for the Nintendo Switch.

Are we getting a Switch Pro Next Year?

Yes 7 21.21%

No 26 78.79%

See Results 0 0%

Total:33

Will repeat what I said last time, just like Takashi.

TomaTito said:

Takashi Mochizuki has been at it for years.

With perseverance anything is possible, the pro will come!

A broken clock is right twice a day

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
TomaTito said:

TomaTito said:

Takashi Mochizuki has been at it for years.

With perseverance anything is possible, the pro will come!

A broken clock is right twice a day

He did get most of that right. In 2018 he said a new Switch model would be coming next year (correct). In early 2019 he said there would be two new Switch models later that year which was correct also (Mariko and Lite). In 2021 he said there would be a new Switch model which would replace the old model, which likely will be true in the long run (OLED model will probably phase out the old Switch). 

It looks like what he mixed up was being told be supply chain leakers that Nintendo had a new OLED 7 inch display (correct) and being told by devs that they had 4K DLSS dev kit hardware from Nintendo, and him assuming these two things were the same model. Which is an easy mistake to make. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 30 September 2021

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
Captain_Yuri said:

"We also want to restate that, as we announced in July, we have no plans for any new model other than Nintendo Switch – OLED Model, which will launch on October 8, 2021. (2/2)"

---

I remember that. The Switch OLED is supposed to be the final Switch model.

So... Everything debunked?

Its not true because its not a Switch.

Either way I think this is now a non story, meaning its probably outdated kit that for an upgrade that was cancelled.⁶

Otter said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

"We also want to restate that, as we announced in July, we have no plans for any new model other than Nintendo Switch – OLED Model, which will launch on October 8, 2021. (2/2)"

---

I remember that. The Switch OLED is supposed to be the final Switch model.

So... Everything debunked?

Either way I think this is now a non story, meaning its probably outdated kit that for an upgrade that was cancelled.⁶

Look at how carefully worded that response from Nintendo is. Its hard to imagine all 11 sources being wrong.

There's years of planning for hardware releases, you don't simply cancel them.

Fyi Takashi Mochizuki was the same person who reported dev kits going out for the NX (Nintendo Switch) in 2015.

"The exact shape of the NX hardware isn't yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U's capabilities didn't match those of competitors. "

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-begins-distributing-software-kit-for-new-nx-platform-1444996588

Last edited by hinch - on 30 September 2021

There is no Switch Pro. The successor will be 4k capable (in whatever way), but it'll be a while from now still.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
TomaTito said:

He did get most of that right. In 2018 he said a new Switch model would be coming next year (correct). In early 2019 he said there would be two new Switch models later that year which was correct also (Mariko and Lite). In 2021 he said there would be a new Switch model which would replace the old model, which likely will be true in the long run (OLED model will probably phase out the old Switch). 

It looks like what he mixed up was being told be supply chain leakers that Nintendo had a new OLED 7 inch display (correct) and being told by devs that they had 4K DLSS dev kit hardware from Nintendo, and him assuming these two things were the same model. Which is an easy mistake to make. 

Back in Oct 2018 he highlights that the upgrade could be an energy efficient display, but covers his bases by stating "Nintendo is still debating what new hardware and software features to include in the upgrade and weighing the cost of the features."
https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/184246/wsj-nintendo-plans-new-version-of-switch-for-2019

In Mar 2019 he mentions the two models, and here is when the Pro is born, "One version will have enhanced features targeted at avid videogamers, although it won’t be as powerful as Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4 Pro or Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox One X, according to parts suppliers and software developers for Nintendo who have access to a prototype of the machine."
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/b57lw5/nintendo_to_launch_two_new_switch_models

As you mention, there could be mixed up between his sources, or just a natural evolution of a device with current technology.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Incredible that people keep believing these scam rumours, despite being proven wrong time and time again. Well eventually a Switch 2 will launch (in 2024 or so) and then these sites can claim that that was the system they were talking about!

hinch said:
Otter said:

Look at how carefully worded that response from Nintendo is. Its hard to imagine all 11 sources being wrong.

There's years of planning for hardware releases, you don't simply cancel them.

Fyi Takashi Mochizuki was the same person who reported dev kits going out for the NX (Nintendo Switch) in 2015.

"The exact shape of the NX hardware isn't yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use. They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U's capabilities didn't match those of competitors. "

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-begins-distributing-software-kit-for-new-nx-platform-1444996588

yeah thats what I mean, Nintendo can say its false because its not a SKU but different console altogether. Or some caveat of that sort. 

I still see it as a non story though because without further elaboration it could be a cancelled upgrade and thus old news. If the teams just received it however that would be a different story

What do people expect Nintendo to say?

Nintendo PR: Yes, yes we are working on a 4k Switch, its going to be so new, pretty, and awesome. If you were planning on buying a switch this holiday I would just until this one is released and forget the current one!

我是广州人

I'm convinced that there's truth to this though it may be Switch 2 not Switch Pro. It's not often Eurogamer and Bloomberg both say the same thing and are wrong. I'm sure that the whole "Switch Pro is coming this year" being false is due to them getting mixed up between the OLED model and the more powerful model which are two separate things but both real.

I wouldn't expect Switch 2 to launch before 2023 though.