By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2022 List Wars, who has the strongest 2022 lineup?

Who has the best 2022 lineup so far?

Nintendo 65 52.85%

Playstation 36 29.27%

Xbox 16 13.01%

Undecided/NA 6 4.88%

Total:123
LudicrousSpeed said:

Uh, exactly. Heavily bundled during the months when the consoles sell the most.

IIRC they had insane bundles with GoW, Horizon, and some other game I forget. Maybe LoU?

So like other platform holders? 

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Uh, exactly. Heavily bundled during the months when the consoles sell the most.

IIRC they had insane bundles with GoW, Horizon, and some other game I forget. Maybe LoU?

Oh, sure, all platform holders have bundles. But unless Nintendo had a widely available bundle for multiple holidays that included something like MK8D, Zelda, and Splatoon 2 all bundled for free, what’s your point? 

Again, Nintendo games are just on another level when it comes to selling power.

LudicrousSpeed said:
PotentHerbs said:

Oh, sure, all platform holders have bundles. But unless Nintendo had a widely available bundle for multiple holidays that included something like MK8D, Zelda, and Splatoon 2 all bundled for free, what’s your point? 

Also want to add Nintendo bundles generally the price of console + game in a bundle, largely making it no different than buying the console separately with the game, outside the decal. Other companies bundles are largely the price of the console with the game being free. 

Last edited by Acevil - on 29 September 2021

LudicrousSpeed said:

My point is, Sony doesn't "heavily" bundle titles any more than other platform holders, & God of War didn't need to be bundled heavily to sell over 20+ Million lifetime. 

Also, the only Nintendo franchise that is on another level compared to Sony first party is the Mario IP, which has no releases in 2022, making it a non factor in this discussion. 

PotentHerbs said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

My point is, Sony doesn't "heavily" bundle titles any more than other platform holders, & God of War didn't need to be bundled heavily to sell over 20+ Million lifetime. 

Also, the only Nintendo franchise that is on another level compared to Sony first party is the Mario IP, which has no releases in 2022, making it a non factor in this discussion. 

Yea they do, particularly more than Nintendo, who rarely has bundles (and as someone else pointed out, when they do bundle, the price typically includes the game). And we don’t know what GoW sales would have been had it not been included in that insane bundle over multiple holiday seasons (months of sales each year). That added millions and millions to its sales.

And no Mario isn’t the only IP, Zelda is too. Case in point, Zelda came out four years ago and is still launch MSRP (though it does have sale prices from time to time like any other game). GoW came out in 2018 and is $16 brand new. If Sony could still be selling it for full price, they would be.

Around the Network

I guess Nintendo, because of Bayonetta 3, that's the only console game I plan on buying in 2022. Everything else releasing I believe will be bought on PC. Looking so forward to Elden Ring, that's the big game of 2022 I'm waiting on, thank goodness it releases in January too.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Yea they do, particularly more than Nintendo, who rarely has bundles (and as someone else pointed out, when they do bundle, the price typically includes the game). And we don’t know what GoW sales would have been had it not been included in that insane bundle over multiple holiday seasons (months of sales each year). That added millions and millions to its sales.

And no Mario isn’t the only IP, Zelda is too. Case in point, Zelda came out four years ago and is still launch MSRP (though it does have sale prices from time to time like any other game). GoW came out in 2018 and is $16 brand new. If Sony could still be selling it for full price, they would be.

I found a bundle on Amazon that fits your description with availability dating back to the holidays of 2019. Far from multiple holiday seasons & during one of the lowest years for PS4 sales to boot. 

BoTW is the only Zelda title that is a massive seller (IE. 20+ Million). Even GT5 outsold Skyward Sword on the Wii. Like I said, the competition on the Playstation platform makes price cuts necessary, from God of War to Red Dead Redemption 2 to Fallout 4 to Grand Theft Auto V to Spiderman. With that line of thinking, Rockstar isn't close to Nintendo's level because they need to sell their games on multiple platforms with many price cuts, which is absolutely absurd.  

That triple pack bundle was available for like three different holiday seasons at places like Walmart and Best Buy in the US.

Rockstar can sell their games at a lower price because there is massive monetization involved in their games. And their games continue selling tons, unlike most Sony IPs which have front loaded sales and bundles.

PotentHerbs said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

1. How do you know Splatoon 3 won't sell over 15+ Million?  GT7 selling over 15+ Million isn't a guarantee either.

2. Bold: Not Splatoon or Ring Fit Adventure.

3. Did you watch the last direct? Mario movie with Hollywood voice acters are coming next year.

4. We are comparing Sony games and Nintendo games, why do you even bring 3rd party games here?

5. Really? Based on what???

6. Bold: it's opposite to Nintendo, physical sales are becoing bigger and bigger for Nintendo games while their digital sales are also slowly growing. 

7. Then i guess Pokemon Go + Fire Emblem Heroes business are the same things since they helped strengthen Nintendo IPs.

1. Both are not guaranteed. However, GT7 is in a great position to rebound to a tentpole franchise if GTS is any indication, not to mention the fact that GT itself is an Olympic Event. Add in the fact that Europe is a Playstation stronghold, the growth in RoTW, the Dualsense marketing, GT7 has a better chance to hit 15/20+ Million lifetime than Splatoon 3. 

2. Splatoon and Ring Fit happen to show less sales potential than newer SIE hits like Horizon or GoT. 

3. That doesn't compare to Sony adapting Twisted Metal, Demon's Souls, Ghost of Tsushima, Uncharted, The Last of Us, etc in the coming years. Sony has the inhouse capability to do this.

4. Because third party games are competition to PS4 exclusives. Spiderman & God of War had to compete with RDR2, MHW, COD, Assassins Creed Odyssey, Madden, FIFA, DBFZ, Far Cry, Battlefield V, Soul Caliber VI, Detroit Become Human, among other smaller titles, just in 2018. 

5. Based on the fact that Spiderman is a iconic, evergreen IP, that has been around longer than Mario & has massive growth potential because of the popularity of the MCU. Same reason why Wolverine could end up being a massive seller.

6. Nintendo would still prefer digital growth over physical. The Playstation ecosystem has shifted to majorly digital sales but that didn't stop the PS4 from selling over a billion units of software.

1.Except you know nothing about Splatoon 3 yet, and you think it can't sell like or even more GT7. Nintendo game's legs are on different level compared to Sony.

2.Ring Fit already sold more than 11mil and still selling, Splatoon 2 already sold more than 12mil and still selling.

3.And? Sony always spends a lot more and has more revenue, Nin always spends a lot less and has way more profit than Sony.

4.3rd party games sold not as good as 1st party games on Nin systems simply shows how high level of Nin games are compared to other companies.

5.Mario, Zelda and Pokemon are iconic, evergreen IPs too. They still sold millions at full 60$ after 4 years, Sony games can only dream to do that.

6.Nin told you that??? Why has only growing digital sales and declining physical sales when you can have both growing digital sales and growing physical sales???

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 02 October 2021

PotentHerbs said:

I found a bundle on Amazon that fits your description with availability dating back to the holidays of 2019. Far from multiple holiday seasons & during one of the lowest years for PS4 sales to boot. 

BoTW is the only Zelda title that is a massive seller (IE. 20+ Million). Even GT5 outsold Skyward Sword on the Wii. Like I said, the competition on the Playstation platform makes price cuts necessary, from God of War to Red Dead Redemption 2 to Fallout 4 to Grand Theft Auto V to Spiderman. With that line of thinking, Rockstar isn't close to Nintendo's level because they need to sell their games on multiple platforms with many price cuts, which is absolutely absurd.  

In 2018 there was a bundle for the PS4 + TLOU Remastered + God of War + Detroit Become Human. In 2019 there was a bundle for a PS4 + TLOU Remastered + God of War + Horizon Zero Dawn. So that does seem like multiple holiday seasons with a God of War bundle. 

Stating that BotW is the only Zelda title that is a massive seller does you no favors when you recall that God of War 2018 is the only God of War title that is a massive seller. Also, to note, Splatoon 1 outsold GT 6 on a console that only produced 13M vs 85M+. In addition, Splatoon 2 outsold GT Sport. Let's take an objective look at the data:

God of War 2018 (estimated 20M+), Horizon Zero Dawn (Estimated 10M+) and Gran Turismo Sport (estimated 8M+)

vs.

Pokemon Sword and Shield (21.85M), Breath of the Wild (23.2M) and Splatoon 2 (12.21M)

If you gave me this data and told me each of these games were getting a new entry and asked which group I think would sell more I'd definitely pick the Nintendo group. Also, IMO, Splatoon 2 sales were handicapped being on a brand new device. I could see Japan going crazy for that game again now that there are over 20M Switch owners in Japan. The BIGGEST thing going for the Playstation group is that it is on two devices, but one device is on it's way out and the other is brand new (both extremes are when software sales are at their lowest). 

Anyway, just thought I'd throw my two cents in there.