By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2022 List Wars, who has the strongest 2022 lineup?

Who has the best 2022 lineup so far?

Nintendo 65 52.85%

Playstation 36 29.27%

Xbox 16 13.01%

Undecided/NA 6 4.88%

Total:123
Doctor_MG said:
hinch said:

Tbf sales wise GoW (2018) did come pretty close to BoTW. GoW was estimated to be around 20m, late last year vs BotW's 22.28m. And though BotW 2 is likely to outsell GoW: Ragnarok I wouldn't count it out entirely.

Reviews well.. Zelda always reviews high :P Both IP's are huge flagship titles.

Just to throw this out there, at the time BotW launched day one for the Switch whereas God of War launched when PS4 already amassed a respectable 80M consoles sold. However, now with the sequels it's different. Switch is at 100M and PS4/5 will be at a combined 140M. In addition, many of the PS5 owners were formerly PS4 owners and game sales tend to slow this late into a consoles lifespan (for PS4 I mean). 

Though I'm not saying it's guaranteed of course, but I think BotW 2 will outsell Ragnorok by a larger difference than BotW 1 outsold God of War (2018). Switch is at it's height whereas Sony's consoles are either losing steam or still building it up. 

BotW has been out for nearly 4 and a half years. I'm sure that the people who wanted to buy the game would have bought it by now. Not sure how you link consoles sales and momentum to software sales. Don't think there's a direct correlation between them tbh.

If we go by official figures we have; NS at 89M, PS4 116M and PS5 currently over 10M respectively (recorded from July). And if that's not counting attachment rate per user/console sold. A lot of NS sales are multiples from the same household - https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/05/20-percent-of-switch-sales-now-going-to-households-that-already-had-a-switch/

But anyway speculation aside.. both games will be big hitters. Which is what I wanted to say.

Last edited by hinch - on 25 September 2021

Around the Network
cycycychris said:
VAMatt said:

Is Starfield gonna be great, like 92+ Metacritic? If so, I could make a case for XB. Otherwise, I'd give the title to Sony. They have big games from known franchises coming.

Nintendo also has a solid lineup. But, since there's like a 99% chance that BOTW2 falls to 2023, I can't give it to them.

I know Zelda games get delayed seemly just out of tradition at this point, but I would be incredibly surprised if Zelda BOTW 2 is pushed into 2023, unless the scale of this game is insane.

They said targeting 2022 which doesn't sound very confident 

Sony seemingly has my fav with GOW, Horizon, Stray, the uncharted collection, and possibly more (assuming no delays)
Nintendo with BOTW2, Kirby, and Pokemon is rly cool too
If Starfield is truly great then Xbox could definitely be my surprise fav of next year but I need to know more. Not rly interested in Stalker and Redfall looks terrible to me tbh

hinch said:
Doctor_MG said:

Just to throw this out there, at the time BotW launched day one for the Switch whereas God of War launched when PS4 already amassed a respectable 80M consoles sold. However, now with the sequels it's different. Switch is at 100M and PS4/5 will be at a combined 140M. In addition, many of the PS5 owners were formerly PS4 owners and game sales tend to slow this late into a consoles lifespan (for PS4 I mean). 

Though I'm not saying it's guaranteed of course, but I think BotW 2 will outsell Ragnorok by a larger difference than BotW 1 outsold God of War (2018). Switch is at it's height whereas Sony's consoles are either losing steam or still building it up. 

BotW has been out for nearly 4 and a half years. I'm sure that the people who wanted to buy the game would have bought it by now. Not sure how you link consoles sales and momentum to software sales. Don't think there's a direct correlation between them tbh.

If we go by official figures we have; NS at 89M, PS4 116M and PS5 currently over 10M respectively (recorded from July). And if that's not counting attachment rate per user/console sold. A lot of NS sales are multiples from the same household - https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/05/20-percent-of-switch-sales-now-going-to-households-that-already-had-a-switch/

But anyway speculation aside.. both games will be big hitters. Which is what I wanted to say.

Two points. The first is that sales typically decline over time for a game regardless of whether the console just launched or not. This is why games which launch earlier in the generation generally don't sell as much as games launching midway through a generation. Second, games at the tail end of a consoles life generally sell worse than games that launched at the height of the consoles popularity. God of War 2018 launched at the height of PS4s popularity, Ragnarok will not be. However, that will be mitigated by PS5s presence partially. However, the PS5 is still relatively young and will be at around 30M sold by the time God of War comes along.

Despite my points above BotW still charts and still sells. It's legs are phenomenal and are greater than most games. I believe the sequel legs won't be as great, true, but the factors above also say that Ragnarok has some hurdles as well and at least BotW 2 is launching at the height of the consoles popularity which will be an overall bonus.

I'm sure both games will do exceptionally well, but I'd put money on BotW 2 beating Ragnarok sales wise. But we will see! 

TheWalrusCaesar said:

Sony seemingly has my fav with GOW, Horizon, Stray, the uncharted collection, and possibly more (assuming no delays)
Nintendo with BOTW2, Kirby, and Pokemon is rly cool too
If Starfield is truly great then Xbox could definitely be my surprise fav of next year but I need to know more. Not rly interested in Stalker and Redfall looks terrible to me tbh

Gonna be a stellar year for games for all. Yeah idd though Xbox doesn't have a big many releases next year.. I'm quite looking forward to seeing and playing Starfield. Always up to try new games and a more grounded Elder Scrolls-esque RPG in space sounds like a game I'd want to play.

For me, GoW Ragnarok is enough to make the year for me in terms of games (been waiting on this for a long time). Then you have Horizon and Forspoken. And for the Switch BoTW 2 and Bayonetta 3. I just hope for no more delays.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Pokemon and BoTW still sell more and at full $60 though.

You think Pokemon + BoTW combined will outsell GoW, HFW + GT7? I doubt that.

Not to mention, these same Playstation exclusives priced at $70 will have massive openings, will be facing fierce competition against monster sellers like COD, GTAV: E&E, FIFA, new IP's with tons of sales potential like Elden Ring & Harry Potter, mid tier sellers like Forspoken, MLB & Madden, a variety of indies as well as GaaS titles. This is all with growing digital sales, which should net Sony more revenue, and ultimately more profit. 

1st bold: Pokemon + BoTW 2 + Splatoon 3 definitely sell more.

2nd bold: at launch only, Nintendo games still sell millions after 4 years at full $60, while Sony games will drop the price after 6-12 months. Revenue, Sony always > Nintendo, but profit, Nintendo always > Sony. Even in ps2/GameCube era, Nintendo profit was bigger than Sony.

Alistair said:

None of the awesome cross platform games I played on PC or Xbox or PS came to Switch. QED. Looking at platform exclusives only makes sense when you have the third party titles. Switch is the weakest of the bunch.

None of the games I wanted to play on Switch came to PC or Xbox or PS. QED. Looking at the third party titles, PC + Switch are the strongest combination, PS and Xbox exclusives will eventually come to pc anyway.

Sony for me with Nintendo being a very close 2nd.

I'm curious for the 11 people that picked MS which games are they really excited for in 2022?

Nintendo's line-up overall has more games that interest me, especially with BotW 2 included inb4 it gets delayed to 2023. Aside from BotW 2, I'm also interested in Triangle Strategy, Kirby, Bayonetta, Mario + Rabbids and Legends Arceus (though I admittedly have some reservations about Gamefreak being able to pull off a compelling open world).

Out of Sony's list, only GoW and maybe Forspoken interest me (and the latter is a big maybe). If FFXVI ends up being a 2022 game, then that's another one I'm looking forward to. I would also consider GT7, but the single player campaign being online-only really turned me off. Obviously, if I end up getting any of those games, it'll be until I buy a PS5, which probably won't be anytime soon.

None of MS's offerings interests me atm 

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 26 September 2021

HoangNhatAnh said:

1st bold: Pokemon + BoTW 2 + Splatoon 3 definitely sell more.

2nd bold: at launch only, Nintendo games still sell millions after 4 years at full $60, while Sony games will drop the price after 6-12 months. Revenue, Sony always > Nintendo, but profit, Nintendo always > Sony. Even in ps2/GameCube era, Nintendo profit was bigger than Sony.

Pokemon + BoTW2 + Splatoon 3 selling more than GoWR + HFW + GT7 isn't "definite" at all especially with Splatoon 3 having the least pull.

If you want to bring up overall revenue/profit for their games, don't forget Sony leverages first party software through PS+ & PS Now, PC releases, adapting their IP via Playstation Productions (which is also sold to Disney/Netflix for their subscription services), have a ton of multiplayer games in development, higher game prices + growing digital sales. Whatever Sony made in the PS2/PS4 era will be dwarfed by PS5 profits because of these factors. Nintendo making more money than Playstation isn't guaranteed at all in this decade.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 26 September 2021

V-r0cK said:

Sony for me with Nintendo being a very close 2nd.

I'm curious for the 11 people that picked MS which games are they really excited for in 2022?

Different strokes for different folks. I voted Nintendo but I can see why someone would vote either of the other options. Personally for me just Stalker 2 or Starfield are much more appealing than anything Sony has.