By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 38, 2021 - (13th Sept - 19th Sept)

noshten said:

Software sales on the PS5 just provided by David Gibson, 500K since launch with four titles making up around 50% of those sales. For comparison, Minecraft on the Switch has outsold all games on the PS5 in the same period of time. 

In terms of Tales of Arise on the PS5, the second-week drop is above 86% with sales below 6673

Software sales for the PS5 are dramatic no matter how you look at it.

We are going to see a real problem unfolding in Japan as Japanese developers with previously very strong ties to Sony will have to jump ship if they want to make any money. 

Around the Network

Falcom will be the first to feel the pain as Kuro no Kiseki is heading for a very underwhelming opening on the PS4.. I can imagine that when they transition to the PS5 situation will be even worse

cross posting from COMG thread:

kenjab said:
Mnementh said:

Tales keeps in the top-spot, nice hold.

As an idea OP: could you link the last weeks thread in the OP, so that this forms a chain with which to access old data?

You got it, just added it to OP.

Thanks.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

noshten said:

Falcom will be the first to feel the pain as Kuro no Kiseki is heading for a very underwhelming opening on the PS4.. I can imagine that when they transition to the PS5 situation will be even worse

cross posting from COMG thread:

Yeah they need to pull their finger out and start developing for both the Switch/PS4 day one instead of other companies porting the Trails and Ys games to Japan 2-3 years after release as Japan in general has low sales on late ports, They really should of been using Ys IX, Hajimari no Kiseki and Kuro no Kiseki as a bridge onto the Switch so the fanbase can crossover and bring in new users also.

Their games have been doing well on the Switch in the west also but that is down to NIS America porting the games themselves knowing the fanbase is there.

OTBWY said:

Thanks for the numbers Kenjab. This is definitely the calm before the new model coming up. I saw somewhere that they are already implementing lotteries for the OLED model. Going to be very interesting to see. Arises' drop is bigger than I expected.

If there are any ERA refugees lurking here: Hi.

The lotteries are starting in late September.

Edit: sorry, mixed the months up. Late November, not September.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 23 September 2021

Around the Network
kenjab said:

Software sales

1. [PS4] Tales of Arise (Bandai Namco, 09/09/21) – 33,128 (184,444)
  2. [NSW] WarioWare: Get It Together! (Nintendo, 09/10/21) – 32,131 (104,408)
  3. [PS4] Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars (Compile Heart, 09/16/21) – 18,789 (New)
  4. [NSW] BanG Dream! Girls Band Party! for Nintendo Switch (Broccoli, 09/16/21) – 15,398 (New)
  5. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 11,784 (2,830,643)
  6. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 11,751 (4,051,139)
  7. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 11,107 (2,191,918)
  8. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 6,987 (4,423,047)
  9. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (Konami, 11/19/20) – 6,968 (2,374,578)
  10. [NSW] Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom – Prince’s Edition (Level-5, 09/16/21) – 6,673 (New)

Hardware sales

Switch - 40,068 (21,158,728)
PS5 - 16,084 (1,045,715)
Xbox Series - 4,376 (92,366)
PS4 – 747 (7,809,932)
3DS – 643 (1,173,483)

By SKU:
Switch – 31,290 (17,096,974)
PlayStation 5 – 13,289 (875,557)
Switch Lite – 8,778 (4,061,754)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 2,795 (170,158)
Xbox Series X – 2,792 (61,343)
Xbox Series S – 1,584 (31,023)
PlayStation 4 – 747 (7,809,932)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 643 (1,173,483)

Last week's thread: Famitsu sales: Week 37, 2021 - (6th Sept - 12th Sept)

Could you add the YTD and last YTD numbers for the hardware if it's no big deal?

Shadow1980 said:

Thanks, OP. And yes, we may need you to make an archive thread for these posts like that at at Era.

Speaking of which, I went looking for the latest Famitsu sales thread at Era only to see that something went down and apparently Chris1964 is gone after many years of running those threads. I don't keep up with internet drama all that much, so I had no clue. I'm just interested in sales data.

For the sake of people missing context. 

Chris is a long time poster of Media Create sales threads, first on NeoGAF and then on ResetEra. 

The latest media create sales thread unfortunately became toxic as more and more people with a particular loyalty to a certain brand didn't like how Switch basically dominated the weekly sales. Comments like "Japan doesn't matter" and misinterpretation of translations went on for a while which made Chris more and more agitated. A pretty heated discussion ensued between Chris and some of these trolls. it wasn't until a few days in that a mod stepped in locked the thread and basically started banning people, most notably Chris. People in the thread didn't like this and after the lock was lifted people started complaining about the ban. More bans ensued. It wasn't until one user started to share Discord screencaps that exposed how targeted Chris was by this particular mod and some other mods. It pretty much showed an orchestrated manner in which they outright baited Chris.

So basically what followed is that Chris left the site, so the MC thread on Era is basically dead at this point.

Not only that, bunch of others decided to leave as well.

PAL thread OP: gone.
NPD thread OP: gone.
Nintendo sales archive OP: gone.

I know this is off topic but it needs to be made clear. 

OTBWY said:
Shadow1980 said:

Thanks, OP. And yes, we may need you to make an archive thread for these posts like that at at Era.

Speaking of which, I went looking for the latest Famitsu sales thread at Era only to see that something went down and apparently Chris1964 is gone after many years of running those threads. I don't keep up with internet drama all that much, so I had no clue. I'm just interested in sales data.

For the sake of people missing context. 

Chris is a long time poster of Media Create sales threads, first on NeoGAF and then on ResetEra. 

The latest media create sales thread unfortunately became toxic as more and more people with a particular loyalty to a certain brand didn't like how Switch basically dominated the weekly sales. Comments like "Japan doesn't matter" and misinterpretation of translations went on for a while which made Chris more and more agitated. A pretty heated discussion ensued between Chris and some of these trolls. it wasn't until a few days in that a mod stepped in locked the thread and basically started banning people, most notably Chris. People in the thread didn't like this and after the lock was lifted people started complaining about the ban. More bans ensued. It wasn't until one user started to share Discord screencaps that exposed how targeted Chris was by this particular mod and some other mods. It pretty much showed an orchestrated manner in which they outright baited Chris.

So basically what followed is that Chris left the site, so the MC thread on Era is basically dead at this point.

Not only that, bunch of others decided to leave as well.

PAL thread OP: gone.
NPD thread OP: gone.
Nintendo sales archive OP: gone.

I know this is off topic but it needs to be made clear. 

Ah I see mods abusing power, sounds familiar

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I originally expected the Switch to drop that low earlier, now it finally happened.
WarioWare second week drop is small as expected. It should leg to 500k eventually, like Clubhouse Games did.

Oh wow, a quickly cobbled together collaboration between Neptunia and Senran Kagura with re-used assets all over the place actually sold pretty well all things considered.