By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware August 22-28 - Switch Sales Top 90 Million

Woohoo. And soon it will be 100 millions

Around the Network

Pretty solid numbers all around this week

Now, I’m wondering how much the Switch OLED will close the 20-25% YoY gap that’s currently occurring. It seems it should return the Switch to (or close to) peak levels. The difference is Animal Crossing is now in its second holiday season, the impact on pushing units isn’t going to be as pronounced.

While this Metroid game does look cool, I’d guess the appeal is primarily toward those who already own a Switch. I’m not saying people won’t be buying Switch for Metroid, only that it’s not going to be moving the needle on its current sales trajectory - the OLED is the only thing they announced that will do that… maybe a base and lite model price drop, but I wouldn’t think that’s particularly necessary from a corporate standpoint. Of course, if they can prove that the trajectory change from such a price drop would increase profits by getting Switch 1 models out earlier - thus increasing software uptake and overall profitability - then there might be a justification.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Now, I’m wondering how much the Switch OLED will close the 20-25% YoY gap that’s currently occurring. It seems it should return the Switch to (or close to) peak levels. The difference is Animal Crossing is now in its second holiday season, the impact on pushing units isn’t going to be as pronounced.

While this Metroid game does look cool, I’d guess the appeal is primarily toward those who already own a Switch. I’m not saying people won’t be buying Switch for Metroid, only that it’s not going to be moving the needle on its current sales trajectory - the OLED is the only thing they announced that will do that… maybe a base and lite model price drop, but I wouldn’t think that’s particularly necessary from a corporate standpoint. Of course, if they can prove that the trajectory change from such a price drop would increase profits by getting Switch 1 models out earlier - thus increasing software uptake and overall profitability - then there might be a justification.

Especially since Nintendo basically left the game as is from launch aside from the occassional small feature addition or holiday event. With as much as that game sold, it could have sold far more with a constant flow of dlc (which would further push hardware). I don't know why they don't release major updates to that game every 2-3 months. If ever there was a game that should be treated like a live service game from Nintendo's lineup, it's Animal Crossing. Fans would be delighted to have new things added (both free and ones that cost money). They could even have an in-game economy where you can exchange bells for dollars and vice-versa in order to buy the dlc (plenty of mmos allow in-game currency <---> real world money exchange, like Guild Wars 2 with gold and gems). But instead the game is mostly what it was when it launched, which was a good game. But if I had additional islands to visit for various purposes (sporting events, festivals, a scientific research island, the list goes on and on), I would absolutely pay real $ to experience that. It's absurd they don't have a vibrant campaign going on in that game with as many copies as it sold.

At this point the PS4 had sold about 10.4 million and the Xbox One 5.2 so the Series X/S is doing better both with the ratio and outselling its predecessor. It's still early but it's a good sign so far for a more competitive generation which is nice.

Around the Network

In September, especially in the second half Switch sales will likely reach the low point of the year because of the OLED.
The OLED-model will offset a lot of sales from September to October.

Dulfite said:
Jumpin said:

Especially since Nintendo basically left the game as is from launch aside from the occassional small feature addition or holiday event. With as much as that game sold, it could have sold far more with a constant flow of dlc (which would further push hardware). I don't know why they don't release major updates to that game every 2-3 months. If ever there was a game that should be treated like a live service game from Nintendo's lineup, it's Animal Crossing. Fans would be delighted to have new things added (both free and ones that cost money). They could even have an in-game economy where you can exchange bells for dollars and vice-versa in order to buy the dlc (plenty of mmos allow in-game currency <---> real world money exchange, like Guild Wars 2 with gold and gems). But instead the game is mostly what it was when it launched, which was a good game. But if I had additional islands to visit for various purposes (sporting events, festivals, a scientific research island, the list goes on and on), I would absolutely pay real $ to experience that. It's absurd they don't have a vibrant campaign going on in that game with as many copies as it sold.

I do agree with that. You’d think now that they’ve dipped their toe in the DLC water that Animal Crossing would be the logical place to build a goldmine.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

trunkswd said:

Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) hardware estimates:
  1. Switch - 10,481
  2. PlayStation 5 - 5,683
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 4,612
  4. PlayStation 4 - 430
  5. Xbox One - 199

We're a peculiar market; PS and Xbox quite close, Switch way ahead. Most like America, but with even more of a Switch advantage.

Dulfite said:
Jumpin said:

Expect another 25% decline in the next Quarterly report because last years Q2 of 6.86m was a record, so even if switch ships 5m for Q2 which is absolutely massive that will still be more than a 25% decline. Last years Q1 + Q2 of 5.67m + 6.86m was monumental and was going to be extremely hard to match and with no spring/summer blockbuster title coupled with the Oled announcement means it was impossible. However this years Q3 can make up some ground because although last years Q3 was big (11.57m) it was a relative disappointment because it was only marginally better than the previous year and some people here were thinking 13m was possible. With Oled and a much better holiday line up than Hyrule Warriors AoC and Pikmin 3DX i predict an increase over last year which would combat the minus 25% trend. For the FY i can see Nintendo reaching their 25.50m foreast, I'm thinking in the region of 26-27m which is historically a huge number and represents only a minor yearly decline of 10% to 6%. Some people here were getting carried away thinking a 30m+ DS killing year was a real possibility but i think that record may never be beaten.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 10 September 2021

ShadowLink93 said:

Some folks get so caught up in comparing Switch's 2021 to 2020, when it's 2021 versus 2018 and 2019 that's perhaps more telling.

Nice graph btw, cheers.