By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware August 22-28 - Switch Sales Top 90 Million

curl-6 said:

Some folks get so caught up in comparing Switch's 2021 to 2020, when it's 2021 versus 2018 and 2019 that's perhaps more telling.

Nice graph btw, cheers.

Well people forget that 2019 was also a huge year, shipping over 20m consoles in a single fiscal year is extremely rare and only a handful of consoles have ever done it. So another 20m+ year is in the bag this year but i wonder if NSW can achieve a fourth 20m+ year and equal the four times the DS achieved it? Oh and Thanks for the compliment about the graph, it took over an hour to make in Paintz and it was just to illustrate that NSW has still started the FY well despite the year on year decline.

Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:
curl-6 said:

Some folks get so caught up in comparing Switch's 2021 to 2020, when it's 2021 versus 2018 and 2019 that's perhaps more telling.

Nice graph btw, cheers.

Well people forget that 2019 was also a huge year, shipping over 20m consoles in a single fiscal year is extremely rare and only a handful of consoles have ever done it. So another 20m+ year is in the bag this year but i wonder if NSW can achieve a fourth 20m+ year and equal the four times the DS achieved it? Oh and Thanks for the compliment about the graph, it took over an hour to make in Paintz and it was just to illustrate that NSW has still started the FY well despite the year on year decline.

Exactly 2019 was already big yet 2021 is trouncing it. Even 2018 was a good year by most standards, and 2021 is on track to absolutely pulverize it.

And you're welcome, the effort you put in is appreciated. :)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 September 2021

I hope somehow someway, the switch manages to outsell last year. Only the holidays after OLED release will tell

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:

I hope somehow someway, the switch manages to outsell last year. Only the holidays after OLED release will tell

Me too! And not only because I bet 1000 VGS on it....

Although, I do need to make up something like 1800 worth of ban fines between 2012 and 2016 :D

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I've heard rumours of a price drop for NSW circulating by various Nintendo fan channels, possibly a $250 price point for the regular hybrid model. I don't get it though, you can't justify the Oled being $100 more when it offers only a minor upgrade and the main reason for the yoy decline is down to the NSW Lite not selling very well, it would be more logical to drop the Lite to $169.99 or even $149.99 because consumers do not consider it to be value for money and would rather pay the extra $100 for the hybrid model especially in Japan where the Hybrid is consistently outselling the lite 5 to 1 recently.

Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:

Dulfite said:

Especially since Nintendo basically left the game as is from launch aside from the occassional small feature addition or holiday event. With as much as that game sold, it could have sold far more with a constant flow of dlc (which would further push hardware). I don't know why they don't release major updates to that game every 2-3 months. If ever there was a game that should be treated like a live service game from Nintendo's lineup, it's Animal Crossing. Fans would be delighted to have new things added (both free and ones that cost money). They could even have an in-game economy where you can exchange bells for dollars and vice-versa in order to buy the dlc (plenty of mmos allow in-game currency <---> real world money exchange, like Guild Wars 2 with gold and gems). But instead the game is mostly what it was when it launched, which was a good game. But if I had additional islands to visit for various purposes (sporting events, festivals, a scientific research island, the list goes on and on), I would absolutely pay real $ to experience that. It's absurd they don't have a vibrant campaign going on in that game with as many copies as it sold.

Expect another 25% decline in the next Quarterly report because last years Q2 of 6.86m was a record, so even if switch ships 5m for Q2 which is absolutely massive that will still be more than a 25% decline. Last years Q1 + Q2 of 5.67m + 6.86m was monumental and was going to be extremely hard to match and with no spring/summer blockbuster title coupled with the Oled announcement means it was impossible. However this years Q3 can make up some ground because although last years Q3 was big (11.57m) it was a relative disappointment because it was only marginally better than the previous year and some people here were thinking 13m was possible. With Oled and a much better holiday line up than Hyrule Warriors AoC and Pikmin 3DX i predict an increase over last year which would combat the minus 25% trend. For the FY i can see Nintendo reaching their 25.50m foreast, I'm thinking in the region of 26-27m which is historically a huge number and represents only a minor yearly decline of 10% to 6%. Some people here were getting carried away thinking a 30m+ DS killing year was a real possibility but i think that record may never be beaten.

I think last year's Q3 is when they started feeling the impact of shortages from covid + way more demand for Animal Crossing than they anticipated. I think they sold a LOT more Switch's in Q2 of 2020 than they thought they would, which meant they had to deplete their storage of Q3 Switch's in order to meet demand, and by then we were in full swing of chip shortages, graphics card shortages, etc. I think, if there were no shortages on parts based on factories being shut down from covid, that Q3 of 2020 would have sold absolutely a mind-blowing number. But this year demand is finally being satisfied combined with the fact that the device is 4 years and 7 months old (OLED won't really change that perception as it basically is just a nicer screen, still same power/ram/graphics) and people will start or already are starting to perceive it as an old device, unlike the PS4/XSX which are very new. Nintendo has done very well by being 2-3 years apart from the release of the competition with the Switch. If they release Switch 2 in 2023, a good 3 years before PS6/XSX2 come out, they will dominate once again. I just hope this OLED model doesn't lead to a pro model, delaying the Switch 2 launch to 2024 or 2025, because that would only give them 1-2 years of dominance on the market and being the newest full device. The longer a company has claim on the newest full device, the better off their sales are (not counting new skus as that isn't as exciting as a brand new device), and Nintendo had claim to that from 2017 until 2020 and it benefited them greatly. They need to implement the same strategy for Switch 2.

ShadowLink93 said:

I've heard rumours of a price drop for NSW circulating by various Nintendo fan channels, possibly a $250 price point for the regular hybrid model. I don't get it though, you can't justify the Oled being $100 more when it offers only a minor upgrade and the main reason for the yoy decline is down to the NSW Lite not selling very well, it would be more logical to drop the Lite to $169.99 or even $149.99 because consumers do not consider it to be value for money and would rather pay the extra $100 for the hybrid model especially in Japan where the Hybrid is consistently outselling the lite 5 to 1 recently.

I think Nintendo focuses on making each sku a profit. While the lite might not be selling well, they don't want to drop its price so much that they are losing money on hardware sales. Their hybrid sells a lot more, which means profitability is alot more attainable even if they drop its price.

Also, if that rumor is true, it's possible they are dropping the price of Switch simply to purge through that stock and permanently replace that sku with the OLED one and stop manufacturing OG hybrid altogether. If there goal is to sell them off ASAP so they can focus exclusively on selling OLED + Lites, that makes sense.

@Dulfite Nintendo should be fine releasing a Switch 2 in Holiday 2024, honestly. And I feel 2023 is too early considering they have a lot of big stuff coming this year and next.

Considering the shortages, scalpers, delays and all that stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 and XSX last a little longer than the usual 7 years. Could see them being replaced in 2028 or maybe even 2029. So if the Switch 2 launches in 2024, it could have 4-5 years of dominance, compared with the Switch having almost 4.

Its fairly obvious that FY Q3/Q4 will have a good chance to be up YoY, people are underestimating OLED launch in combination with the amount of titles that will be launching on the Switch in the upcoming months compared to what was launched last year, the fall particularly was very slow in terms of new releases and Switch didn't really have a strong lineup especially in the September to December period, the Pokemon Remakes alone are likely to outsell the four biggest games launched on the system in the later part of 2020 which managed to surpass 15.73 million EOY. For comparison Sword / Shield managed 16.06M in 2019 on a far smaller user-base. 

Major Titles September to December 2020(15.73M): Super Mario 3D All-stars(8.32M), Pikmin 3 Deluxe(1.91M), Age of Calamity(3.5M), Momotaro(2M)

Ps5 finally got passed launched alined. The switch rrally did jump in production after a few months. Easier for them since they had older tech that was not in current demand.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.