By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Scott Pilgrim vs Ready Player One: Battle of the video game movies

I think the best is...

Scott Pilgrim vs The World 25 69.44%

Ready Player One 11 30.56%

Total:36

Which of these films based on the world of video gaming pop culture do you think is better, and why?

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

Scott Pilgrim coz "Hey check it out I learned the bassline from Final Fantasy 2".

Absolute classic.

I don't think you can make an equivalent comparison between these movies. One actually feels like a living video game world, the other just feels like a bunch of normies trying too hard to make pop culture references they don't understand.

Ready Player One.

Scott Pilgrim tried too hard. It was visual effect overload and it got in the way of the comedy/story. Michael Cera is also miscast in the lead role.

Free Guy is a pretty good videogame movie I must say. I recommend watching it in a theater if it is safe to do so where you live. Wreck it Ralph is also darn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I havent seen Ready Player One, but still voted for Scott Pilgrim vs The World. That movie is just amazing.

I enjoyed RPO for what it was - which is an average movie filled with geek culture easter eggs and references. Its alright.
SP on the other hand is more self-contained and its all the better for it. I felt the "videogame world" vibe was much more well done, plus its just so quotable and enjoyable through and through, so thats my pick.

Around the Network

Scott Pilgrim is definitely the better film, with sharp directing, editing, detail, and humor, but I never got the derision around Ready Player One. To me it's just a fun popcorn flick with lots of member berries and there's nothing wrong with that, but a lot snobs and geeks seem to like to turn up their nose at it.

TallSilhouette said:

Scott Pilgrim is definitely the better film, with sharp directing, editing, detail, and humor, but I never got the derision around Ready Player One. To me it's just a fun popcorn flick with lots of member berries and there's nothing wrong with that, but a lot snobs and geeks seem to like to turn up their nose at it.

If it's just about them movie itself, it's not like I hate Ready Player One. But if we're gonna compare it to Scott Pilgrim in terms of a video game/pop culture movie, there's really no comparison here. One actually 'gets it' to a certain extent, one just has a big special effects budget. They're not on the same playing field.

Ready Player One is a garbage film that the only appeal is "REMEMBER THIS THING!" REFERENCES! Take that away and you have a shit story and it rips off some TV show episodes of some stuff.

Scott Pilgrim felt original but the nodding not outright 50 million pop culture cameos. Scott PIlgrim also kinda feels like No More Heroes the movie. That's a plus in my book.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Signalstar said:

Ready Player One.

Scott Pilgrim tried too hard. It was visual effect overload and it got in the way of the comedy/story. Michael Cera is also miscast in the lead role.

Free Guy is a pretty good videogame movie I must say. I recommend watching it in a theater if it is safe to do so where you live. Wreck it Ralph is also darn good.

That's literally the entirety of RPO

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I love both, but Ready Player One. Maybe I'm more of an action junkie or just love seeing familiar faces and have an inherent bias, but I felt Scott Pilgrim tried too hard at times while Ready Player One knew exactly what it wanted to do and be and succeeded mightily fine at it.