By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Scott Pilgrim vs Ready Player One: Battle of the video game movies

I think the best is...

Scott Pilgrim vs The World 25 69.44%

Ready Player One 11 30.56%

Total:36
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Edgar Wright is brilliant with this movie.  I've seen a couple of other movies he made, and while they are decent, they are nowhere near as brilliant as Scott Pilgrim.  (If someone knows another E.W. movie this good, then please tell me, but I don't think it is any of the Simon Pegg ones.) 

Shaun of the Dead is his best film by far IMO. 
Followed by Baby Driver and SP vs The World in third, in my personal and completely subjective opinion. 

I just think his brand of dialogue and comedy - which are his best qualities IMO -  are best displayed in Shaun of the Dead. Visually, Baby Driver is his best tho. Hot Fuzz is alright. Havent seen The End of the World.
Very much looking forward to Last Night in Soho, looks like he is going outside his comfort zone with that one. 

Offtopic/Ontopic, but people saying Michael Cera was not the right casting choice for Scott are on drugs. I dont do drugs, but if I did, "Michael Cera was not the right casting choice for Scott Pilgrim" is one of the things I'd say.

Around the Network

Edgar Wright would've been an ideal choice to direct a western take on Cowboy Bebop. Unfortunately that ship has already sailed and that series is already dead on arrival.

That's part of the reason films like Ready Player One are worse than you think in a greater context. It may just seem like a harmless popcorn blockbuster, but they're ultimately the bridge for clueless executives to convince themselves they understand these fandoms, buying the rights to beloved franchises which they ruin or disgrace with unrecognisable adaptions.

Shaunodon said:

Edgar Wright would've been an ideal choice to direct a western take on Cowboy Bebop. Unfortunately that ship has already sailed and that series is already dead on arrival.

That's part of the reason films like Ready Player One are worse than you think in a greater context. It may just seem like a harmless popcorn blockbuster, but they're ultimately the bridge for clueless executives to convince themselves they understand these fandoms, buying the rights to beloved franchises which they ruin or disgrace with unrecognisable adaptions.

Come on man, execs butchering totally separate IPs doesn't determine how good or bad RPO itself is. That's like saying Mario Galaxy is bad cos the successful Wii era it was part of made Nintendo overconfident, or that the PS2 is bad cos it made Sony think they could do no wrong as led to the PS3's struggles.

curl-6 said:
Shaunodon said:

Come on man, execs butchering totally separate IPs doesn't determine how good or bad RPO itself is. That's like saying Mario Galaxy is bad cos the successful Wii era it was part of made Nintendo overconfident, or that the PS2 is bad cos it made Sony think they could do no wrong as led to the PS3's struggles.

First of all, those situations aren't similar or comparable. Mario Galaxy had nothing to do with blue ocean strategy or Nintendo's shift into chasing the more casual consumers during that era. The success and feedback from a film (especially genre films) does however directly affect the future decisions of movie execs.

Second of all, I'm only saying you shouldn't give Ready Player One more credit than it deserves, or try to acknowledge it for something that it isn't.

Shaunodon said:
curl-6 said:

First of all, those situations aren't similar or comparable. Mario Galaxy had nothing to do with blue ocean strategy or Nintendo's shift into chasing the more casual consumers during that era. The success and feedback from a film (especially genre films) does however directly affect the future decisions of movie execs.

Second of all, I'm only saying you shouldn't give Ready Player One more credit than it deserves, or try to acknowledge it for something that it isn't.

PS2 directly fed into the PS3's loss of billions of dollars and tons of marketshare through building overconfidence in Sony. Is PS2 therefore bad?

I'll give Ready Player One as much credit as I feel it deserves on its own merits, which is quite a bit as to me it was an awesome popcorn flick.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 September 2021

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Shaunodon said:

PS2 directly fed into the PS3's loss of billions of dollars and tons of marketshare through building overconfidence in Sony. Is PS2 therefore bad?

I'll give Ready Player One as much credit as I feel it deserves on its own merits, which is quite a bit as to me it was an awesome popcorn flick.

That's an oxymoron. If you're judging something based on your emotional bias, then your aren't judging it on it's merit.

Shaunodon said:
curl-6 said:

That's an oxymoron. If you're judging something based on your emotional bias, then your aren't judging it on it's merit.

Not an oxymoron at all; all perception is subjective therefore so is all opinion regarding movies.