By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Scott Pilgrim vs Ready Player One: Battle of the video game movies

I think the best is...

Scott Pilgrim vs The World 25 69.44%

Ready Player One 11 30.56%

Total:36

Y'all fuckers are making me angry. Scott Pilgrim is a masterpiece that tried to do something interesting and succeeded like no other movie has since. RPO is a mediocre blockbuster that tried to do basically nothing interesting and still failed. They made the Iron Giant a gun, for fuck's sake.

Around the Network

I don't know what it was about Scott Pilgrim, but I really enjoyed that movie. Ready Player One didn't impress me, it was okay.

I really like both movies, both great fun in their own way.

It's a very tough call for me as to which is better; Scott Pilgrim is more unique, bold, and creative, though for me Michael Cera in the lead roll was fell a little flat at times, which is weird as the rest of the cast is top notch.

Ready Player One is more conventional, but still has some fantastic sequences, (the race and nightclub dancefloor scenes for instance are killer) and a more likeable protagonist.

I love Scott Pilgrim vs the World, awesome movie, fun, quirky, great actions scenes, plus it features my favorite band (Metric). I haven't watched Ready Player One but I can't see it topping Scott Pilgrim.

Signature goes here!

WORLDS of difference between the two. Scott Pilgrim is an infinitely better movie

Around the Network

Hard to chose, since both have their forte in different areas. I love both of them, but I'll give it to Ready Player One.

The reason? RPO improves on several plot points from the book (namely, making the keys much more relevant and, most importantly, very personal to the Oasis' creator instead of just being old games), while the SP movie was great, but can't quite keep up with the comic books.

Also, the fact that the creators of RPO managed to get the OK from so many IP to appear in the movie. That's a major achievement on it's own to even just come close to what they managed to pull here in that department.

curl-6 said:

Ready Player One is more conventional, but still has some fantastic sequences, (the race and nightclub dancefloor scenes for instance are killer) and a more likeable protagonist.

I found the race sequence to be pretty not great plot-wise (RPO spoilers, but who cares). Like, sure, the CG looked good, but you mean to tell me that thousands of people hunting for easter eggs never thought to go backwards? That is, like, rule 1 of egg hunting. Its like if they hid the super secret easter egg behind a waterfall and nobody ever looked for it. It screams to me that the people writing either don't give a shit, or they don't know anything about video games. 

Also, Scott is supposed to be a bit of a fucker. That is basically the point of the movie. 

Ready Player One is a decently good movie.  Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is in my top 1% movies of all time and I've seen at least a couple thousand movies.  To me there is no contest.

Edgar Wright is brilliant with this movie.  I've seen a couple of other movies he made, and while they are decent, they are nowhere near as brilliant as Scott Pilgrim.  (If someone knows another E.W. movie this good, then please tell me, but I don't think it is any of the Simon Pegg ones.)  The visual storytelling in this movie is the best I've ever seen, and of course the script is also brilliant.  Michael Cera is probably not cast right, but that is the movie's only flaw to me.  On the other hand, they somehow found a whole bunch of people who are now stars, and I think most of them were relatively unknown when they were cast in Scott Pilgrim.  The movie oozes originality, and it was made in a time when it seemed that Hollywood had run out of ideas.  (It still seems that way in fact.)

I'll take Scott Pilgrim for the win!

sundin13 said:
curl-6 said:

I found the race sequence to be pretty not great plot-wise (RPO spoilers, but who cares). Like, sure, the CG looked good, but you mean to tell me that thousands of people hunting for easter eggs never thought to go backwards? That is, like, rule 1 of egg hunting. Its like if they hid the super secret easter egg behind a waterfall and nobody ever looked for it. It screams to me that the people writing either don't give a shit, or they don't know anything about video games. 

Also, Scott is supposed to be a bit of a fucker. That is basically the point of the movie. 

That fell within suspension of disbelief for me, it's silly, but no more unlikely than half the absurd stuff that happens in Hollywood blockbusters.

When I say the race scene I'm not talking about solving the puzzle but the first (unsuccessful) attempt shown, the sheer insanity of it was amazing without ever devolving into the kind of choppy, hard-to-follow camerawork and editing that plagues so many modern action scenes. To elegantly orchestrate such chaos in such a way that it flowed seamlessly like a ballet of destruction was a testament to Spielberg's directing chops.

And I get that Scott's supposed to kind of a loser who learns and grows, but the execution was lacking IMO, Cera just wasn't the right actor for the part. Only blemish on a great movie for me.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 August 2021

sundin13 said:
curl-6 said:

Don't forget that if you zero out, you lose everything, which in this case would be an entire car along with other stuff you might have bought, all of which costs real life money. And judging by the prices of the stuff that are being bought within the store the main character goes through, a car in the oasis probably costs about as much as a car in real life, making this stunt prohibitively expensive for most people, especially if you consider how poor most people are. As such, you probably won't try this without a serious hint that there could be something.