By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

mZuzek said:
Slownenberg said:

And the game seems like it will be longer than I thought it would be. I tend to take my time exploring games and don't try to impress anyone with my quickness in beating a game, but I'm at 9:42 on the game clock and I feel like there is a decent amount of the game left. I was worried it'd be like a max 10hr game. Plus I guess there is a hard mode eh? I figured I'd play this once and that'd be it like most 1 player games, but I might actually play through it again on hard.

I mean... It does seem to last around 10 hours for most people, for me it was 8 and I don't think I was rushing it. Granted the timer resets when you die so the real number would be significantly higher for everyone.

Glad you're enjoying it so much, though. Personally while it was over quick for me, and while I haven't gotten too much into replaying it yet, I don't wish it was longer. The pacing just felt right for what it is.

Yeah I doubt there's like a ton left in the game. I have no idea what's coming but I'm assuming it'll be over in another two or three hours. But a ~12 hour game, with more time spent to 100%, and a hard mode that'll probably get me to come back for another run through, is a lot more than what I thought it would be. Plus of course my actual play time is a couple hours past what the clock says so I'm sure I'm already at 12 hours. Lots of dying on bosses, occasionally dying on EMMIs, and died three or four other times.

EDIT: Ah I was close to the end of the game. Got to the final boss after another 40 minutes, so I'm at 10h23m at the final boss, so yeah I guess it'll be about a 10.5hr game for me. But unlike most 1 player games I think I'll do at least a couple more run throughs so more than 10hr experience. Took one shot at the boss. Intense. Will try to beat the game tonight or tomorrow! Such a great game!

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 23 October 2021

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:
Slownenberg said:

Pretty far into Dread now. And I must say I was totally wrong about not being worth the price. This is the rare 2D game that is actually worth $60 (well, I paid $50 but whatever). It'd still only cost $30 if it didn't have a Nintendo logo on it, but hey that's the advantage a big studio like Nintendo has over indie studios in their ability to charge a premium. My apologies for assuming it wasn't worth full price before playing!

It just keeps getting better and better as I play through. The game is designed masterfully, and my god the boss fights are freaking epic, and the difficulty is just perfect - which makes it stand out from just about every other Nintendo first party game which tend to be far too easy.

It is one of the best games I've played in a while. On the Switch I'd say it's up there for me with Smash, Odyssey, and Dead Cells in my top four favorite Switch games (that I've played enough to make a final call on - BotW I still need to play through).

And the game seems like it will be longer than I thought it would be. I tend to take my time exploring games and don't try to impress anyone with my quickness in beating a game, but I'm at 9:42 on the game clock and I feel like there is a decent amount of the game left. I was worried it'd be like a max 10hr game. Plus I guess there is a hard mode eh? I figured I'd play this once and that'd be it like most 1 player games, but I might actually play through it again on hard.

Dead Cells is like my ultimate comparison for 2D side scroller action games as that game just blew me away and kept me coming back a lot....but Dread is starting to make me think Dead Cells might have some competition for my favorite 2D action game.

I hope this is getting great sales and will crush the Metroid sales record. I think the $60 price for a 2D game will turn some people off for sure as people are used to $20-$30 for this kind of game. After all I barely ended up buying it on a whim and only because I got it for $50. Ideally Nintendo would drop it to $30 in a year or two, but then again I thought they'd do that with the Link's Awakening remake once sales went dead after the first couple weeks, but nope they just refuse to rejuvinate game sales with discounts. Word of mouth seems to be good though, plus pent up demand for Metroid, plus the Switch effect, plus the high scores the game is getting. I'd love to see this break 5 million.

Dude. I am SO hapy for you! Have a high five, or a handshake, or whatever, a kiss on the cheeck followed by a slap. I could kiss anybody right now. Might be because I have had too many dark wheat beers and cherry spirits, but might also be just because I like your change of mind so much. Your choice, one time offer!

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the game, it's fantastic. And go for that Hard Mode, even though it's basically the same same, but different, but still the same. Afterwards, go for a 100% run as fast as you can. And after that, go for a sequence break route. And after that, go for a regular run again and see how awesome and amazingly designed this brilliant and beautiful game is.

haha I'm glad. Since I'm taking my time exploring on this first go around, I'm guessing I'll probably keep going to 100% it after I beat the game. And then maybe I'll try a fast play through on the normal difficulty, and a play through on hard mode as well. I'm not into speed running but it'd be fun to once take a shot at beating it significantly faster than this first playthrough. Anyway, the game is so good, like after a decade of great metroidvanias from indies Nintendo was like yo lemme show you how to do it! I just told my brother he needs to pick it up too.

Beat Raven Beak, (he was not as hard as I was expecting after hearing so much about him being insanely difficult, but still a great fight) and beat the game.

Bravo Nintendo, bravo Mercury Steam.

This is a truly superb title, with immensely satisfying combat, pacing, character progression and level design. The story took some really bold and interesting turns, and Samus’s badass portrayal was a perfect correction to the way she should be. The bosses were very demanding, but that made them all the more gratifying to finally master and bring down.

While I still slightly prefer the Prime trilogy, this is definitely in the same sky high tier, and one of the shining diamonds of the Switch library.

curl-6 said:

Beat Raven Beak, (he was not as hard as I was expecting after hearing so much about him being insanely difficult, but still a great fight) and beat the game.

Bravo Nintendo, bravo Mercury Steam.

This is a truly superb title, with immensely satisfying combat, pacing, character progression and level design. The story took some really bold and interesting turns, and Samus’s badass portrayal was a perfect correction to the way she should be. The bosses were very demanding, but that made them all the more gratifying to finally master and bring down.

While I still slightly prefer the Prime trilogy, this is definitely in the same sky high tier, and one of the shining diamonds of the Switch library.

Congrats, curl!

And now we go back to waiting for Prime 4.

Around the Network

My favorite thing about the game is gameplay. The story made me say "this is awesome". The boss fights were fantastic and challenging. Exploration and becoming stronger is standard Metroid.

Where Metroid Dread excells above all others is the way you feel when you're playing it. The way it trains your fingers to dance around the controller: *chef's kiss*

Now they need to port the unappreciated Samus Returns to the Switch. I'll buy it all over again. Hell, port all of the 2D games!

As awesome as the finale was I still don't quite understand the ending;

Spoiler!
how did the X-Quiet Robe turn Samus back into her normal self? His gesture indicates he is his conscious self, but how then is he able to retain control of his X-replica, and why then did he turn the EMMIs back on to hunt Samus earlier when he is first turned into an X? 
RolStoppable said:

Wow, curl did it. Color me surprised.

I'm surprised myself honestly, after all I'd heard I wasn't at all confident I'd be able to finish.

GoOnKid said:

Congrats, curl!

Cheers man!

Spoiler!
Quiet Robe likely regained control as that's the trait of his particular tribe which also explains turning her back as they could control Metroids essentially her absorbing the X allows her to now control her Metroid ability which awakened in the final battle as Metroids are programmed to fight Raven's tribe. It basically opens up the avenue where she can use her Metroid ability in future whether for battle or to absorb new abilities.

Just finished the game at 100%, I'm watching the credits, and oh boy, I've enjoyed quite a few Switch games by now, but this one goes immediately right to the top 5, I enjoyed it to death from beginning to end. I am really glad that I didn't watch any promotional material leading to release, it truly allowed me to appreciate the game like I haven't done so with any other title in quite some time.

It also took me quite a while to finish, I sadly couldn't play more than two hours per day, and figuring some things out was a little tough. For example, more than once I forgot that the last laser upgrade allows you to shoot through surfaces, so, in the end, the last object in Cataris took me an authentic eternity. I refused to check any guide, but it seriously paid off, I feel like a god.

Looking forward to Metroid 6, Nintendo is already taking way too long, lol. And I also want this game's final boss for the next Smash/Nintendo's next crossover game.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.