By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

curl-6 said:

That one is actually meant to be a boss fight apparently. I found the trick was to jump use the flash shift to go over his head whenever he charged.

Ah, I see. There was just no build up or cut-scene so I assumed it was like a mini boss. Yeah, I did that though dodging those projectiles as well is kinda rough, as well as the terrain. Particularly if you try to fight on all levels including the lower tiers.

I did find a clip on Youtube.. that to make the fight easier, you should stay on the the upper tiers and go from there. Bit late now, but meh xP



Around the Network
hinch said:
curl-6 said:

That one is actually meant to be a boss fight apparently. I found the trick was to jump use the flash shift to go over his head whenever he charged.

Ah, I see. There was just no build up or cut-scene so I assumed it was like a mini boss. Yeah, I did that though dodging those projectiles as well is kinda rough, as well as the terrain. Particularly if you try to fight on all levels including the lower tiers.

I did find a clip on Youtube.. that to make the fight easier, you should stay on the the upper tiers and go from there. Bit late now, but meh xP

I stayed on the lower tier the whole time haha. And the cutscene of it

Spoiler!
killing Quiet Robe

was the intro I guess. 



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

I feel like there's no real criteria as for what categorizes a boss as main or sub-boss in this game, it's a blurry line at best. Certainly none of them are meant to be easy.




I make music, check it out here on Bandcamp, Spotify, and Youtube!

I'm starting to see why this game has a reputation for being so hard; minute to minute gameplay is very manageable but holy moly these bosses don't f-ck around.

The amount of damage they can soak up combined with the huge amount of damage they do to you in a even a single hit makes them extremely unforgiving. I haven't met one yet that I couldn't conquer, but I do find myself wishing they were just a little bit less spongey and hard-hitting. Also not a huge fan of the fact that your normal shots are pretty much useless and missile spam is the only way to do effective DPS.

Anywho, reached Ghavoran and Elun. Really loved the art direction and vibe of the former area in particular. The pacing is fantastic, I reached two new areas, got two new abilities, and beat two bosses in a 40 minute stretch, it really feels like you're constantly making meaningful progress.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

hinch said:
Hynad said:

Which mini-boss? Many are hard at first until you learn their pattern. Then it’s a matter of execution. 

The

Spoiler!
Robot Chozo Soldier in Ghavoran

Took me a few goes. I managed to down it with the limited amount of missiles I accumulated and charged shots in between, but this one enemy.. ngl this one made me rage a little lol. Did manage to parry it on a couple of occasions but the room for error is pretty darn small.

Wait, you can parry it? I didn't realise.

It was definitely one of the hardest bosses for me in the first playthrough, but now in hard mode I beat it first try. Made me really proud of myself. I think Kraid is one of the hardest. Still died five times even though I knew his patterns already.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 16 October 2021

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
hinch said:

The

Spoiler!
Robot Chozo Soldier in Ghavoran

Took me a few goes. I managed to down it with the limited amount of missiles I accumulated and charged shots in between, but this one enemy.. ngl this one made me rage a little lol. Did manage to parry it on a couple of occasions but the room for error is pretty darn small.

Wait, you can parry it? I didn't realise.

It definitely one of the hardest bosses for me in the first playthrough, but now in hard mode I beat it first try. Made me really proud of myself. I think Kraid is one of the hardest. Still did five times even though I knew his patterns already.

You can parry the attack with the blue slashing effect but not the red one, the is an easier more technical way to beat the boss as well that many people don't realize simply jump on the higher platforms to cause him to follow you up there then drop down and build up your shine spark and store it then aim it at him when he drops down and just repeat. Later on if you have enough health you can simply use the screw attack against other bosses.



Killed the blue EMMI and got the spin jump, pulse radar, and ice missile.

Another baffling flaw; the implementation of the double jump is trash. The fact that it only works if you're in a spin jump and just drops you like a stone if you're in a normal jump is beyond stupid and makes precision platforming way harder than necessary. Again, this is something other games solved decades ago, in this case as far back as the 1980s, so to see it so badly done here boggles the mind, especially in a game that is otherwise so terrific.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

curl-6 said:

Killed the blue EMMI and got the spin jump, pulse radar, and ice missile.

Another baffling flaw; the implementation of the double jump is trash. The fact that it only works if you're in a spin jump and just drops you like a stone if you're in a normal jump is beyond stupid and makes precision platforming way harder than necessary. Again, this is something other games solved decades ago, in this case as far back as the 1980s, so to see it so badly done here boggles the mind, especially in a game that is otherwise so terrific.

Yup, that's a relic from Super Metroid. Awkward space jumping is a thing since '94. The tradition must be kept alive.



GoOnKid said:
curl-6 said:

Killed the blue EMMI and got the spin jump, pulse radar, and ice missile.

Another baffling flaw; the implementation of the double jump is trash. The fact that it only works if you're in a spin jump and just drops you like a stone if you're in a normal jump is beyond stupid and makes precision platforming way harder than necessary. Again, this is something other games solved decades ago, in this case as far back as the 1980s, so to see it so badly done here boggles the mind, especially in a game that is otherwise so terrific.

Yup, that's a relic from Super Metroid. Awkward space jumping is a thing since '94. The tradition must be kept alive.

Well, I wish they'd broken with tradition then. The game gets so much so right, but in a small number of things like this and the grapple beam, it drops the ball hard, which is all the more jarring given how great everything else about it is.

Anyway, on a brighter note, I scored my second EMMI parry which was as exhilarating as the first.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

curl-6 said:

Killed the blue EMMI and got the spin jump, pulse radar, and ice missile.

Another baffling flaw; the implementation of the double jump is trash. The fact that it only works if you're in a spin jump and just drops you like a stone if you're in a normal jump is beyond stupid and makes precision platforming way harder than necessary. Again, this is something other games solved decades ago, in this case as far back as the 1980s, so to see it so badly done here boggles the mind, especially in a game that is otherwise so terrific.

Nah, it would be trash if it would work without a spin jump, because then you could "float" at will with the Space Jump later on.

If you really cared about precision platforming, then you'd have pointed out the forced usage of an analogue stick for movement ages ago, but you didn't. You'll only ever get pixelperfect precision in 2D gameplay with d-pad controls.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments