By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

GoOnKid said:
Slownenberg said:

I'm maybe like 2 hours in, so still early, but its a pretty darn cool game. I think it can definitely hold its own against some of the better Metroidvanias out there - I was worried a new Metroid wouldn't be able to stack up against the amazing indie Metroidvanias that have flourished this past decade but while this may not necessarily be the best of the best it is definitely up there among the better games in that genre. Metroid still kicks ass.

I've only ever played through Metroid and Super Metroid. This is making me really hope Nintendo adds GB and GBA to Switch Online so I can play through the whole collection on the Switch at some point. Then we just need a damn Prime Trilogy and Switch would be the ultimate Metroid system.

Well, I hope you are happy with your purchase. You were quite reluctant about it in the last weeks, and you never missed a chance to tell everybody how a 2D game should neeeeeeeeeever ever be charged full price. How do you feel now?

It's a real good game. I bought now just on a whim cuz I got it at $49 instead of like $63 (which is what it normally would cost with tax), so I did get it at over half the discount I wanted (was planning on buying it if it ever got discounted to $40). So I got it like 20% off what I would normally pay for a $60 game.

I'd still absolutely say no way it should have been $60. $40 feels right for it. Maybe $50 at launch, then drop to $40 once sales slow. $60 a bit silly, as I've previously stated. But what can I say I'm a Nintendo fan and haven't played a new 2D Metroid game since the mid-90s so in the end they got me!

Anyway, I didn't say a 2D game should "neeeeeeeeeever" be full price. Depends entirely on the game. But Metroid games are known as short games, so a 2D 10-15 hr game in 2021, when there's plenty of games just as good or better of similar gameplay and style that are $20-$30 and regularly go on sale for like $15, that just don't make sense. But it's $60 cuz it is Nintendo and you either buy it or wait a few years, I was gonna wait for bigger discount but picked it at a discount now anyways. I paid $49 knowing I was overpaying.

If this exact game were put out by any other company but Nintendo, I'd expect this to be priced at no more than $30 at launch. So that should answer your question.

Around the Network

Finished the game again in 7 hours 11 minutes.
Really itching to go for another run, it's so much fun.
After my first two playthroughs I wadn't really sure wether I consider Metroid Dread or Ori and the Will of the Wisps better. Now I've decided that Dread is a bit better than Ori based on it's replay value, which I don't really think either of the Ori games has.

Now I'm gonna replay Super Metroid, it's been a few years.

mZuzek said:
Kakadu18 said:

Finished the game again in 7 hours 11 minutes.
Really itching to go for another run, it's so much fun.
After my first two playthroughs I wadn't really sure wether I consider Metroid Dread or Ori and the Will of the Wisps better. Now I've decided that Dread is a bit better than Ori based on it's replay value, which I don't really think either of the Ori games has.

Now I'm gonna replay Super Metroid, it's been a few years.

I recommend you look into sentry jumps, that might just change your opinion on Will of the Wisps' replayability.

Might do that.

Funny, my last save point of Super Metroid on NSO was exactly one year and 40min ago. What a coincidence.

I'm 10 hours in according to my Switch clock, just beat Golzuna and the purple EMMI, and I already feel like I have gotten more entertainment value out of this game than the vast majority of games priced at $60 USD.

curl-6 said:

I'm 10 hours in according to my Switch clock, just beat Golzuna and the purple EMMI, and I already feel like I have gotten more entertainment value out of this game than the vast majority of games priced at $60 USD.

looks like you and I are neck and neck.  you had been a bit ahead but i got to play for a while last night.

Edit:

Spoiler!
Just opened up the linked teleports, at 13 hours I'm now going back to 100% it before beating it.  At least that is the idea, some of the shinespark challenges are kicking my ass.
Last edited by The_Yoda - on 22 October 2021

Around the Network
The_Yoda said:
curl-6 said:

looks like you and I are neck and neck.  you had been a bit ahead but i got to play for a while last night.

Edit:

Spoiler!
Just opened up the linked teleports, at 13 hours I'm now going back to 100% it before beating it.  At least that is the idea, some of the shinespark challenges are kicking my ass.

I took the day off yesterday cos I had work in the evening, so you'll probably beat it before me; I like to make games last so I only play for like a 40-45 minute stretch per day.

I won't be going for 100% myself but I'm definitely gonna go hunting for some energy tank parts before the final boss after all I hear about him being harder than a statue's nipples in winter.

curl-6 said:
The_Yoda said:

Edit:

Spoiler!

I took the day off yesterday cos I had work in the evening, so you'll probably beat it before me; I like to make games last so I only play for like a 40-45 minute stretch per day.

I won't be going for 100% myself but I'm definitely gonna go hunting for some energy tank parts before the final boss after all I hear about him being harder than a statue's nipples in winter.

I'd been playing in small chunks as well.  I don't think I'll have the time for a replay so I want to get it all knocked out this time.  I can only imagine the frustration starting over of being nerfed after I've just gotten used to how powerful she has become.

Well, I'm on the doorstep of the final boss; I'll leave it there for tonight and try my luck at him tomorrow.
I'm really nervous, having heard a lot about how difficult he is, but I've come this far; this has been an extraordinary game and I want to see it through to the end.

Pretty far into Dread now. And I must say I was totally wrong about not being worth the price. This is the rare 2D game that is actually worth $60 (well, I paid $50 but whatever). It'd still only cost $30 if it didn't have a Nintendo logo on it, but hey that's the advantage a big studio like Nintendo has over indie studios in their ability to charge a premium. My apologies for assuming it wasn't worth full price before playing!

It just keeps getting better and better as I play through. The game is designed masterfully, and my god the boss fights are freaking epic, and the difficulty is just perfect - which makes it stand out from just about every other Nintendo first party game which tend to be far too easy.

It is one of the best games I've played in a while. On the Switch I'd say it's up there for me with Smash, Odyssey, and Dead Cells in my top four favorite Switch games (that I've played enough to make a final call on - BotW I still need to play through).

And the game seems like it will be longer than I thought it would be. I tend to take my time exploring games and don't try to impress anyone with my quickness in beating a game, but I'm at 9:42 on the game clock and I feel like there is a decent amount of the game left. I was worried it'd be like a max 10hr game. Plus I guess there is a hard mode eh? I figured I'd play this once and that'd be it like most 1 player games, but I might actually play through it again on hard.

Dead Cells is like my ultimate comparison for 2D side scroller action games as that game just blew me away and kept me coming back a lot....but Dread is starting to make me think Dead Cells might have some competition for my favorite 2D action game.

I hope this is getting great sales and will crush the Metroid sales record. I think the $60 price for a 2D game will turn some people off for sure as people are used to $20-$30 for this kind of game. After all I barely ended up buying it on a whim and only because I got it for $50. Ideally Nintendo would drop it to $30 in a year or two, but then again I thought they'd do that with the Link's Awakening remake once sales went dead after the first couple weeks, but nope they just refuse to rejuvinate game sales with discounts. Word of mouth seems to be good though, plus pent up demand for Metroid, plus the Switch effect, plus the high scores the game is getting. I'd love to see this break 5 million.

Slownenberg said:

Pretty far into Dread now. And I must say I was totally wrong about not being worth the price. This is the rare 2D game that is actually worth $60 (well, I paid $50 but whatever). It'd still only cost $30 if it didn't have a Nintendo logo on it, but hey that's the advantage a big studio like Nintendo has over indie studios in their ability to charge a premium. My apologies for assuming it wasn't worth full price before playing!

It just keeps getting better and better as I play through. The game is designed masterfully, and my god the boss fights are freaking epic, and the difficulty is just perfect - which makes it stand out from just about every other Nintendo first party game which tend to be far too easy.

It is one of the best games I've played in a while. On the Switch I'd say it's up there for me with Smash, Odyssey, and Dead Cells in my top four favorite Switch games (that I've played enough to make a final call on - BotW I still need to play through).

And the game seems like it will be longer than I thought it would be. I tend to take my time exploring games and don't try to impress anyone with my quickness in beating a game, but I'm at 9:42 on the game clock and I feel like there is a decent amount of the game left. I was worried it'd be like a max 10hr game. Plus I guess there is a hard mode eh? I figured I'd play this once and that'd be it like most 1 player games, but I might actually play through it again on hard.

Dead Cells is like my ultimate comparison for 2D side scroller action games as that game just blew me away and kept me coming back a lot....but Dread is starting to make me think Dead Cells might have some competition for my favorite 2D action game.

I hope this is getting great sales and will crush the Metroid sales record. I think the $60 price for a 2D game will turn some people off for sure as people are used to $20-$30 for this kind of game. After all I barely ended up buying it on a whim and only because I got it for $50. Ideally Nintendo would drop it to $30 in a year or two, but then again I thought they'd do that with the Link's Awakening remake once sales went dead after the first couple weeks, but nope they just refuse to rejuvinate game sales with discounts. Word of mouth seems to be good though, plus pent up demand for Metroid, plus the Switch effect, plus the high scores the game is getting. I'd love to see this break 5 million.

Dude. I am SO hapy for you! Have a high five, or a handshake, or whatever, a kiss on the cheeck followed by a slap. I could kiss anybody right now. Might be because I have had too many dark wheat beers and cherry spirits, but might also be just because I like your change of mind so much. Your choice, one time offer!

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the game, it's fantastic. And go for that Hard Mode, even though it's basically the same same, but different, but still the same. Afterwards, go for a 100% run as fast as you can. And after that, go for a sequence break route. And after that, go for a regular run again and see how awesome and amazingly designed this brilliant and beautiful game is.