By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Try as I might I could never get into 2D Metroid before, but this one has me absolutely hooked. The combat, exploration, and upgrade loop is like a constant dripfeed of pure dopamine. Tonight I fight Experiment Z-57; nervous as hell as the boss fights so far have almost all pushed me to my limits, but I've come this far, I won't give up without a fight.

Experiment Z-57 is probably the most challenging one. Even when you know his attack patterns avoiding damage is very hard. Especially in the last phase. I had more trouble with him than with the final boss.

Tip: use the storm missiles especially in the first phase.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 20 October 2021

I've just managed to get the pulse radar early by getting to the orange teleporter and to Ghavoran early right after getting the grapple beam. Didn't know this was possible. Really encourages trying alternate routes.

Kakadu18 said:

I've just managed to get the pulse radar early by getting to the orange teleporter and to Ghavoran early right after getting the grapple beam. Didn't know this was possible. Really encourages trying alternate routes.

Nice, I'm gonna try that, too.

Wyrdness said:

A bit of a cheese, but I'll take it. Thanks.

Wonder if they'll patch this.

Around the Network

I'm maybe like 2 hours in, so still early, but its a pretty darn cool game. I think it can definitely hold its own against some of the better Metroidvanias out there - I was worried a new Metroid wouldn't be able to stack up against the amazing indie Metroidvanias that have flourished this past decade but while this may not necessarily be the best of the best it is definitely up there among the better games in that genre. Metroid still kicks ass.

I've only ever played through Metroid and Super Metroid. This is making me really hope Nintendo adds GB and GBA to Switch Online so I can play through the whole collection on the Switch at some point. Then we just need a damn Prime Trilogy and Switch would be the ultimate Metroid system.

Beat with less than 70% completion

Final boss is tricky, but once you understand how to overcome each of its moves it becomes overwhelmingly easy, each time I figured out to to come across with an attack or move I immediately turned the next match in cakewalk and I find myself a mediocre gamer at beast. What prevents you to defeat it in less than 3 tries is the fact each phase he changes his moves, and it takes some time to understand what to do, when to click x, etc, etc

I indeed doubt it would take me more than 3 tries to beat it again

It's a really good game, a 9/10 for me. I'm not feeling I'm gonna play it again soon though, I just don't see much more to explore and the challenges just have became frustrating as they are too hard. I feel like the maps miss some shortcuts, even in the endgame navigate was sorrowful, this easily killed my vibe to collect more items

Slownenberg said:

I'm maybe like 2 hours in, so still early, but its a pretty darn cool game. I think it can definitely hold its own against some of the better Metroidvanias out there - I was worried a new Metroid wouldn't be able to stack up against the amazing indie Metroidvanias that have flourished this past decade but while this may not necessarily be the best of the best it is definitely up there among the better games in that genre. Metroid still kicks ass.

I've only ever played through Metroid and Super Metroid. This is making me really hope Nintendo adds GB and GBA to Switch Online so I can play through the whole collection on the Switch at some point. Then we just need a damn Prime Trilogy and Switch would be the ultimate Metroid system.

Well, I hope you are happy with your purchase. You were quite reluctant about it in the last weeks, and you never missed a chance to tell everybody how a 2D game should neeeeeeeeeever ever be charged full price. How do you feel now?

IcaroRibeiro said:

Beat with less than 70% completion

Final boss is tricky, but once you understand how to overcome each of its moves it becomes overwhelmingly easy, each time I figured out to to come across with an attack or move I immediately turned the next match in cakewalk and I find myself a mediocre gamer at beast. What prevents you to defeat it in less than 3 tries is the fact each phase he changes his moves, and it takes some time to understand what to do, when to click x, etc, etc

I indeed doubt it would take me more than 3 tries to beat it again

It's a really good game, a 9/10 for me. I'm not feeling I'm gonna play it again soon though, I just don't see much more to explore and the challenges just have became frustrating as they are too hard. I feel like the maps miss some shortcuts, even in the endgame navigate was sorrowful, this easily killed my vibe to collect more items

Spoiler!
There's a point where all teleportals get interconnected allowing you to warp to any teleportal no matter the color. I'm not sure if it's a specific teleportal or a number of teleportal found that unlocks it. For me, it was unlocked after I found a teleportal locked behind a storm missile block (in Burenia, I think?).

Signature goes here!

Vodacixi said:

Finally... I'm conflicted about the story. For one, I love the portrayal of Samus. She's constantly kicking ass... And the way she reacts to everything is yet another highlight from the game. I was also blown away by the ending as a whole and how they decided to continue Samus story. However... The story also felt a bit of a mess. Some things contradict stuff from older games (specially Fusion) and there are plot points that were pretty relevant in the Fusion ending, but in Dread are either ignored or adressed without actually making sense. It's a shame, because there was a lot of potential and they didn't really went for it. But then again, all in all I enjoyed the ending. A lot.

You are one of the few that has mentioned this, and it's one of the things i've never liked about how they have been juggling with the Metroid Franchise over the years, i know the plot has never been on the heavy exposure side like other games and their "cinematic style", since the strenghts of Metroid came mainly from the gameplay, being keypoints the atmosphere and the exploration, but ever since i saw the trailer i wondered,

Spoiler!
WTF what happened to her Fusion Suit that became even more different and powerfull at the ending?, wasn't she supposed to be at odds with the corrupts of the federation for disobeying orders?

, why everytime there is something concerning Samus past including the chozo, the pirates, ridley or the Federation, the developers of subsequent games and media seem to disregard what the others have done and contradict things between them, Metroid is a Franchise i have enjoyed and admired over the years, that i always felt had a very interesting setting and a lore that could be much more exploitable just like Catlevania, Megaman and other series, but the guys at Nintendo even when delivering great games still seem unsure on how to manage the universe they are building (Sakamoto not helping things with Other M).

Last edited by foxmccloud64 - on 20 October 2021