By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

I was supposed to pick up my copy from Amazon tomorrow, but I found another one elsewhere yesterday at a good price and bought it. Going to sell the other one.

I just finished a three hour session, and so far my impressions are pretty good, the game is really pretty and the controls are responsive enough. What truly astounded me the most is that this game has a Latin American Spanish dub, not voices from Spain, but Latin American ones. Breath of the Wild was the very first Nintendo game with an LA dub, Dread is just the second one or the third one if you count the announcer in Smash Ultimate.

The company went all out for this one, it showed just in the first few seconds. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
heavenmercenary01 said:
Wyrdness said:

At the final boss now the story which is surprisingly good considering has taken an interesting turn, they said this was the conclusion of the Metroid storyline and they certainly did that with an interesting end game twist that affects the series lore as we know it.

Didn't sakamoto confirm that the game won't be the last one in the series?

Damn that would f*ck my mind up if it happens that they told us BS and dread was actually the last game in the mainline saga.

It's not the last game by any stretch but he did say the Metroid arc that started with Super closes out in Dread and it does with one clever twist won't spoil it you just have to play until the end. I'd advise people to collect as many missiles as possible even when you feel you have enough just get more as the bosses are quite resilient to the arm canon.

mZuzek said:
Metallox said:

I just finished a three hour session, and so far my impressions are pretty good, the game is really pretty and the controls are responsive enough. What truly astounded me the most is that this game has a Latin American Spanish dub, not voices from Spain, but Latin American ones. Breath of the Wild was the very first Nintendo game with an LA dub, Dread is just the second one or the third one if you count the announcer in Smash Ultimate.

The company went all out for this one, it showed just in the first few seconds. 

I'm assuming only Adam spoke in spanish, right? From what I've seen, it looks like Adam's voice is actually done by AI, like say the Mii voices in those 3DS mini-games or Animal Crossing (something I can't unhear anymore). It's a really cool solution, because not only does it allow for all languages to be voiced without increasing the file size (I was wondering how the game was only 4GB with so many voice lines), but also in that it actually sounds robotic in a way that's basically impossible for anyone to look at and say "hey, that's not what Adam should sound like!"

Wouldn't have imagined it, but yeah, AI recording is indeed a thing. Still, it's good to hear it. The text that appears in holograms and that kind of stuff is also in Spanish, which is nothing to write home about in this day and age, but since it comes from a Nintendo game, it does feel kind of special. 

I'm also playing this game completely blind, I pretty much only watched the debut trailer, and I'm glad I did, everything feels fresh. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

I'll try my very best.

There are limitations on my mildly impaired fine motor skills, and my reflexes aren't great, but I'll give it my all. The hardest game I've ever been able to beat before is Ori and the Blind Forest.

I'd be surprised if you manage to finish this game before they patch in a normal difficulty mode. Especially the final boss presents another difficulty spike in a game that defaults to hard mode to begin with. It doesn't matter that this game calls its own difficulty settings normal and hard when they are technically hard and (presumably) very hard.

I'd be shocked if you manage to collect 100% of the items in this game. The Speed Booster challenges in Dread are above everything seen in previous games and the timing is very strict in about half a dozen of instances.

Anyway, the overall design structure of Dread isn't as bad as I initially feared, so it's nowhere near as tedious as Samus Returns to collect everything. Still, the difficulty level regarding bosses and item collection is too high to make Dread as enjoyable as Super, Fusion or Zero Mission. In the end it's a game that can't realize its full potential due to a few boneheaded decisions, but its overall quality is closer to Corruption (the last truly great Metroid game) than Other M and Samus Returns at least. So in other words, this is going to restore some trust in the Metroid brand rather than hurt it further.

I give this one an 8/10 on my review scale.

I'm not going for 100% completion, just to reach the credits/finish the story, or at least get as far as I can, since I spent $80 on it and I want to get as much bang for my buck as possible.

Finished the game, best Metroid game final boss is no push over either, key tip when you want to use missiles don't hold the shoulder button instead press both Y and R at the same time and practice when you want to just fire a missile, it'll save you in the final battle because holding R triggers a certain upgrade you get later on that can over damage the boss meaning he takes no extra damage from the added attack and instead it just depletes your missiles it's more effective and efficient using single missile shots.

Now that they manage to finally make Dread a reality it's time to go back and fix another problem of an actual third person 3D title with out some of the silly decisions and more of the refined mechanics and gameplay seen in Dread.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 11 October 2021

Around the Network

Changed the thread title to more accurately reflect what it's about now haha

I feel like the initial difficulty spike will turn off some Super/Fusion/Zero Mission purists. I get it, but after beating the game and immediately replaying it on a higher difficulty it actually feels great. It's always that initial learning curve that can be a pain. The game feels like a solid 9 to me overall.

Lube Me Up

Dread has the biggest UK launch in series history

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/450995/metroid-dread-sets-franchise-record-for-biggest-launch-in-uk-history/

I like the Prime series, but Dread is what I've been waiting for since Super Metroid. Once you start playing it's hard to put it down. Bravo Nintendo!

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

I'm already in the middle of my second run on hard mode. It's very rare for me to replay a game almost immediately but this one is different. I'm still loving every single minute of this outstanding game!