By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

curl-6 said:

Dread has the biggest UK launch in series history

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/450995/metroid-dread-sets-franchise-record-for-biggest-launch-in-uk-history/

That's awesome!! I wonder how it's doing worldwide. 

Around the Network

I'd said in a prior thread that Dread with the momentum of Switch and Nintendo pushing the game could finally hit the 5m milestone for the series the game seems to be on everyone's minds right now hopefully that leads to the game's much needed success.

Just finished the game. Unlike something like Breath of the Wild, this doesn't reinvent the formula. It's a pretty standard follow up from what the series had done in Samus Returns. That being said, it's probably the best of the 2D Metroids, and considering how good they are, that's high praise.

The controls build on Samus Returns and make Samus finally feel like an agile killing machine as she should. The boost and especially the slide are godsends that really should have been added to the series earlier. The level design is great at subtly nudging you in the right direction without actually telling you where to go like in Fusion. Boss battles are the best in the series, with a nice blend of giant room sized monsters and smaller enemies that match Samus' agility. Most of the bosses took me numerous tries, but I never felt like they were unfair and never felt frustrated.

The complaints I have about the game are mostly nitpicks. I would have preferred a few new powerups. There are only a couple of new offensive abilities, and neither are especially useful, except for speciffic puzzles. Also, while it's kind of fun to explore every nook and cranny for power ups, the lack of variety in those hurts. Most of the time you get a missile upgrade, and even though I wasn't that thorough (I think I got 60something percent of the items) I never came close to depleting my missiles. So, once I was comfortable with my health, I didn't feel much desire to explore.

The Emmi are kind of meh. I had the same issue as I did with the family stalking you in RE7. Once you've seen all there tricks, and realize that dying won't actually set you back too much, they become a nuisance. Would have been cool if the designs of the Emmi changed significantly, or their attacks. It's a neat idea that doesn't fully work.

All that being this is easily my GOTY so far. Dunno what it is about Metroid but the series just sucks me in like few others. Most of the time these days I'll play games in 30 minutes to an hour sessions over several weeks. This one I played pretty much every free moment I had till I beat it. There's just something about Samus.

RolStoppable said:

On the plus side, the regular path through the game is thought through well enough and afterwards it doesn't take ages to collect everything.

But... the game's difficulty is off. Boss fights are all too often "take only a few hits and you are already dead," so at times an additional energy tank would make no difference whatsoever. Hard mode doesn't change the game much, it's basically "you are dead in three hits instead of five." None of the enemies have more health nor is there a penalty on collected items like Zero Mission had. And again, a few of the Speed Booster challenges are more trolling than satisfying challenging level design.

I was on the brink of reconsidering my 8/10 score for Dread, but then the game's art gallery adds Other M as a mainline game instead of doing the right thing and let the game be forgotten. I also looked up the requirements for unlocking the images and it turns out they are simply time-based, so collection rate does not matter at all. If I had known that, I would have finished hard mode right away instead of going for 100% which ultimately put me half an hour above the time limit, so I'll have to give hard mode another go eventually. No variations to the ending whatsoever is also a bit lame; I have no idea why they didn't keep the series' tradition of having Samus taking off her helmet/suit based on completion time and/or item collection rate.

Last thing to address is whether or not Dread is better than indie games because earlier in this thread I had apparently committed an offense by suggesting that Metroid does Metroid best. So...

Dread is better than every indie game. There's no question about it.

Totally, no doubt about it.

34 years playing games.

Seeing all the amazon and forums reviews it's almost given that the game will have some patch with easier difficulty mode.
Almost all the complaints are about the difficulty. Mario casuals didn't find it enjoyable.

Around the Network
heavenmercenary01 said:

Seeing all the amazon and forums reviews it's almost given that the game will have some patch with easier difficulty mode.
Almost all the complaints are about the difficulty. Mario casuals didn't find it enjoyable.

My Aunt I think bought me Metroid II for a holiday or birthday when I was like 6 or so because it had a cool looking space person on the box. Couldn't figure out what the fuck to do after beating like the first Metroid. I feel their pain. Picked it up again when I was like 15 after playing Smash and wound up loving it. Actually what got me into the franchise.

heavenmercenary01 said:

I deeply, deeply hope this is the case, and that if it happens I won't have to restart my file to use it.

I am loving this game so damn much, it's easily "top 10 games on Switch" material, but I am so anxious it'll all be ruined when I hit a brick wall in terms of difficulty.

Wow! What a ride this game was! Brilliant controls and level design. Samus feels like such a badass in this game and she moves like she's on a mission (well... she is....). The bosses were solid and I didn't mind the repeat ones because it felt good to see how much better you got at handling them (with a combination of experience and new abilities). The Flash Shift has got to be my favorite new ability here, it helps make boss fights really dynamic.

I didn't really see the supposed difficulty some people mention. Yes bosses can dispatch you pretty quickly but they all have very telegraphed moves that can be avoided without too much hassle if you're attentive and outside of bosses and EMMIs I never even came close to dying from regular enemies.

I finished the game in 8h30 with 60% items found so now it's time to go on a hunt for collectible. I might let myself be tempted by the hard mode.

Edit: Also, something has to be said about the quality of the animations, the slide, Samus pushing against wall, the backflip when you counter from morph ball, how she braces herself when changing direction while in speed boost, all top notch!

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 13 October 2021

Signature goes here!

curl-6 said:
heavenmercenary01 said:

I deeply, deeply hope this is the case, and that if it happens I won't have to restart my file to use it.

I am loving this game so damn much, it's easily "top 10 games on Switch" material, but I am so anxious it'll all be ruined when I hit a brick wall in terms of difficulty.

Most of the complaints about the difficulty are related to how easy it is to get lost, so, worst case scenario, you'll have to watch a guide. In terms of conventional difficulty, there are a few bosses that are pretty tough. Definitely a step up from other Metroid games, but not hugely so. If you got through those, you'll probably be ok.

TruckOSaurus said:

Wow! What a ride this game was! Brilliant controls and level design. Samus feels like such a badass in this game and she moves like she's on a mission (well... she is....). The bosses were solid and I didn't mind the repeat ones because it felt good to see how much better you got at handling them (with a combination of experience and new abilities). The Flash Shift has got to be my favorite new ability here, it helps make boss fights really dynamic.

I didn't really see the supposed difficulty some people mention. Yes bosses can dispatch you pretty quickly but they allow have very telegraphed moves that can be avoided without too much hassle if you're attentive and outside of bosses and EMMIs I never even came close to dying from regular enemies.

I finished the game in 8h30 with 60% items found so now it's time to go on a hunt for collectible. I might let myself be tempted by the hard mode.

Edit: Also, something has to be said about the quality of the animations, the slide, Samus pushing against wall, the backflip when you counter from morph ball, how she braces herself when changing direction while in speed boost, all top notch!

I am close to the finish line, so I won’t get into spoilers territory just yet. But I have to say that the bosses are definitely a stand out. Sometime I get into a new one and they dispatch me quickly while I try to figure out how to dispatch them and learn their behaviour. Many of them require twitch reactions. But it’s always a matter of adjustment on the player’s part rather than them being unfair or exaggerated (although they can appear as such at first). On the other hand, I think the E.M.M.I.’s are poorly developed and overstay their welcome by how repetitive and uninspired their sequences are and they ultimately mostly break the flow of the game. If they had mixed things up gameplay wise and not have them all play out the same way, that might have worked better. But as it stands, it reinforces how stellar the flow and overall game design of Super is superior to everything else in the series since then. Which is amazing and worrying at the same time, considering the game came out in 1994.

Where Dread comes on top of Super is in the controls and mobility of Samus. Which makes me hope they’ll give the game the Zero Mission treatment: remake it with Samus’s added mobility and abilities while staying true to its level design. That’d be a wish come true for me.

Also: Samus has never looked this baddass. They nailed that as well.

So far, I’d say it’s my favourite since Super, which is no small feat, considering that spot was help by the first Prime game until now.

Last edited by Hynad - on 12 October 2021