By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

So far the EMMI sequences are brilliantly tense, and challenging without getting frustrating. Level design flows really nicely as well and the smooth movement is hella satisfying.

I keep hearing that the game gets really hard and I hope it doesn't become impossible for me to finish it because so far I'm loving it.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Dread doesn't do things much better than Samus Returns so far (= 4 E.M.M.I.s out of the way). The controls still lack precision, the level design is so convoluted that different types of blocks get marked on the map to make it at least somewhat bearable. Frequent checkpoints were apparently the only way to make the E.M.M.I.s work, because otherwise the player would repeatedly lose a lot of progress due to how unfair the sections can be with their almost always instant deaths (the initial spawn point of the E.M.M.Is within their sections seems to have some randomness to it).

Good thing that I went in with low expectations. Maybe the whole game comes together at some later point, but my impression so far is that it's going to be similarly tedious to get 100% item collection as it was in Samus Returns.

Yeah, Samus' stealth isn't good enough. You're supposed to not make noise, but due to the E.M.M.I.s erratic patterns they may still walk towards your position anyway and bump into you, because there are no safe spots to wait for the E.M.M.I. to leave and they're faster than stealth Samus. Then there's the fact that certain jumps require to get out of stealth mode.

I wonder who played older Metroid games and came to the conclusion that Metroid is a series about stealth. Aonuma?

Wyrdness said:
Kakadu18 said:

Ok, the first hour was fantastic in every way.

But then I got stuck. Not in the sense of not knowing where to go, but literally imprisoned in a small area where it was completely impossible to leave.
That was at a spot where you can comunicate with Adam. I had gotten there a second time and was not able to enter the EMMI area like the first time because of fallen blocks that I blew up the first time around and going back was also impossible because I would have needed the morph-ball. I saved literally in that area so loading the last savepoint was not a solution.

How is that even possible and no one noticed? I had to start all over again and you can't skip the cutscenes as if it were a 15 year old game. What went wrong with the level design here?

The level design is fine if you're stuck it often means you missed a breakable block, your image is not showing up and is just breaking the thread btw. You also can skip cutscenes you press + then press - after it.

Yes, thanks. I found a few breakable blocks eventually. The introduction cutscene can't actually be skipped. At least in first playthrough. Others can though.

Kakadu18 said:
Wyrdness said:

The level design is fine if you're stuck it often means you missed a breakable block, your image is not showing up and is just breaking the thread btw. You also can skip cutscenes you press + then press - after it.

Yes, thanks. I found a few breakable blocks eventually. The introduction cutscene can't actually be skipped. At least in first playthrough. Others can though.

You may want to edit your post with the screenshot as it's breaking the thread, you might find that it'll require you to even delete the contents as I had the same issue with one of my posts in the Zelda thread when trying to post a screenshot I'm not sure what causes it on the site.

I'm downloading it now

Glad reviews are positive =)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

So far the EMMI sequences are brilliantly tense, and challenging without getting frustrating. Level design flows really nicely as well and the smooth movement is hella satisfying.

I keep hearing that the game gets really hard and I hope it doesn't become impossible for me to finish it because so far I'm loving it.

The bosses will get hard, yes. However, it's all a matter of training. I died a lot, but it's okay. You'll get used to their patterns and improve with every retry. Observe, learn and overcome. You'll succeed, I know it.

The turning point for bosses where you start needing to be reactive and start being focused for bosses I feel is when you first find out the name of who your attacker is as after that you get dropped in it. You'll know when it happens and the is no going back after that.

I earlier said the game is like SM/Fusion but now the game has become Super Fusion with some interesting QOL changes for certain abilities and so far in my top two of the series I'll also say that the ability they showed in the trailers you'll know when you get it is probably the single best ability Samus has ever obtained in the series.

Wyrdness said:
Kakadu18 said:

You may want to edit your post with the screenshot as it's breaking the thread, you might find that it'll require you to even delete the contents as I had the same issue with one of my posts in the Zelda thread when trying to post a screenshot I'm not sure what causes it on the site.

For some reason I'm not able to those posts.

I think an admin would need to fix that.

Kakadu18 said:
Wyrdness said:

I had the same issue I think I had to log in from a PC browser and edit from there or vice versa, it took time for the page to load up as well when it did I just selected everything and deleted. I'm guessing but I think some site coding or what not gets stuck in some posts when you try to post certain screens.

Wyrdness said:
Kakadu18 said:

I had the same issue I think I had to log in from a PC browser and edit from there or vice versa, it took time for the page to load up as well when it did I just selected everything and deleted. I'm guessing but I think some site coding or what not gets stuck in some posts when you try to post certain screens.

Didn't work, it didn't load.