By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Hype For No More Heroes 3?

No More Hype

K bye

We reap what we sow

Around the Network

Someone spoiled me on the last moments of the ending. All I will say is, Suda is the greatest man in the Universe.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I haven't played any of the No More Heroes games. I think the 3rd looks sick as heck though, and I've thought about buying 1 and 2 on Steam.

I feel like every time I hear about or see gameplay of any NMH game I always get confused about what I'm looking at. It's like they put a ton of stuff that is visually contradictory together and threw in dozens of different gameplay mechanics into a single game that don't seem cohesive. I'm being honest here, it overwhelms me when I see a game that doesn't seem like it has a unified direction and these games always seem all over the place. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But as a consumer, I have no obligation to dig further into a product if, upon initial demonstration, the concept confuses me. And boy does NMH confuse me every chance it gets. Even that gameplay video linked above confuses me. I wouldn't play this game for free on Gamepass if it was there based on how perpexing it looks.

Dulfite said:

I feel like every time I hear about or see gameplay of any NMH game I always get confused about what I'm looking at. It's like they put a ton of stuff that is visually contradictory together and threw in dozens of different gameplay mechanics into a single game that don't seem cohesive. I'm being honest here, it overwhelms me when I see a game that doesn't seem like it has a unified direction and these games always seem all over the place. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But as a consumer, I have no obligation to dig further into a product if, upon initial demonstration, the concept confuses me. And boy does NMH confuse me every chance it gets. Even that gameplay video linked above confuses me. I wouldn't play this game for free on Gamepass if it was there based on how perpexing it looks.

It's a character action game of sorts but since you are offended by swearing and crude humor it's not for you anyway. Gameplay is not complex at all. Open world game. You fight enemies and bosses. Tho to earn your way to those fights you need money. Do fun mini-games get the money and you can use the money for upgrades and clothing. But yes Suda games are not for everyone. They are wild and crazy. Full of style and ideas and he is not afraid to toss curveballs outta nowhere.  They shift all over the place but in a way that makes sense in the context of his games.

The funny thing is James Gunn helped Suda on Lolipop Chainsaw and the most recent Suicide Squad Harley was based on that game. Suda games like a lot of wild, imaginative ideas, and people who welcome a lot of experimentation tend to like them. NMH is maybe his most straightforward series. Then you get into Killer 7 or Flower Sun and Rain and we get into the truly weird shit.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I'm interested in it, I just haven't played the last two games (TSA and 2).

The eclectic mix of styles of one of the appealing things about the No More Heroes series for me; it feels whacky, imaginative, and often hilarious, which to me is more interesting than a lot of more "cohesive" games.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 August 2021

Noore Heroes 1 and 2 were okay, not great games. They were funny and I think that kept me playing. But I wasn't asking for more.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

heavenmercenary01 said:
JRPGfan said:

gameplay demo for those intrested:

Doesnt really do anything for me.
I can understand the lack of hype tbh (doesnt look AAA quality, its running super low res, tons of aliasing)
(I think this will mostly appeal to people that already loved the series, and not do much to bring in new audience)

Suda games have never had the pretention to pretend being AAA games, no more heroes 3 is no where near being a AAA game (the wii games looked bad even for a wii game but were really fun to play).

the game is constant and smooth in battles and minigames but still struggles in some places in the open world. They fixed the framedrops there (open world) but emptiness, clipping and aliaising especially when riding the bike, are still persisting. yeah i guess that was a bit ambitious for them and maybe needed some couple of months to fix those things.

other than that; i see the combat and the scenario really well made.

This is a great way of putting it. For example, some of the hit zones were like 2-3 meters away from the cars, so you'd run into them and just kind of vibrate. All that's outside of the point of the game, and the game never takes itself seriously, part of what made it great - blood fountains, pro wrestling, and coomer culture over a decade before the term for it existed. An overly polished No More Heroes would be kind of weird.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

curl-6 said:

The eclectic mix of styles of one of the appealing things about the No More Heroes series for me; it feels whacky, imaginative, and often hilarious, which to me is more interesting than a lot of more "cohesive" games.

And that's fine. I wasn't trying to insult the game or anything, I'm sure (based on what I've read) it's fantastic for the niche it is filling. But the OP's question was asking why there is no hype for the game, and I assume OP was presuming that sales won't be great either, and I was more just identifying why this game probably isn't on many gamer's radars and why it probably won't sell a lot.

I know too well the frustration of loving a game or type of game that just isn't that popular, but it happens. I've been a total war fanatic since I was a kid playing Medieval 1. I have, for years, heard people talk endlessly about Age of Empires and Civilization, amongst other RTS's or similiar kind of games. I played Civilization, AoE, and a ton of other RTS's. None of those games, not one, came close to even the mediocre total war games in terms of quality experiences for me, and yet until recently the total war series wasn't very popular in the gaming community. Now that they've embraced more fantastical elements (warhammer, troy myths, chinese myths), sales are exploding and more people are becoming aware of it, but for a long time I was advocating for a series which felt like 99% of gamers didn't care about.