By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Psychonauts revive the 3D platformer genre not made by Nintendo?

It Takes Two scored very high and sold over 2M copies. I think that one's more important and relevant than Psychonauts 2.

Psychonauts 2 won't be a big seller.

Around the Network

If one big hit was all it took to revive the genre, the Crash N Sane Trilogy would have done it with 10+ million sales.

Love and tolerate.

Kakadu18 said:

It Takes Two scored very high and sold over 2M copies. I think that one's more important and relevant than Psychonauts 2.

Psychonauts 2 won't be a big seller.

Oh yeah, and its showing great legs. Frequenty in the top 10 on PSN/Steam charts

Frankly if Mario O did not revive 3D platformers Psychonaughts isn't.

Despite what some people thing, developers do pay attention to what Nintendo does.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

KratosLives said:

I'm trying to get through the first game but the graphics and frame rate is a sore eye. I wish they could have released a remaster.. I already purchased psycho2, now i'm deciding if I should play it first or try power through the first.

You'll need to play Rhombus of Ruin as Psychonauts 2 is a continuation of the events in the PSVR game ;)

I never got through the first game, neither the original nor the steam version I bought later. The platforming is really showing its age now and the graphics are hard to look at nowadays. Rhobus of Ruin was amazing though, the perspective changes are mind blowing. So now I'm kinda hesitant to play a 2D version. I guess there won't be a PSVR version, there's not even a ps5 version. Maybe I'll get it one day in a Steam sale or with a month of game pass. No physical edition is the final nail not to get it at release.

Around the Network

I'm not sure that the genre needs to be revived, as it isn't dead. Most games don't sell huge numbers, but there arena decent number of games released.

That said, as a fan of the genre, I'd like to see more AAA and AA level 3D platformers come along. But, I'm doubtful that we'll see much of that. There's more money to be made elsewhere.

A Hat in Time - 79
Sackboy: A Big Adventure - 79
Crash Bandicoot Nsane Trilogy - 80
Spyro Reignited - 82
Crash Bandicoot 4 - 85
Psychonauts 2 - 87
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart - 88

Pretty sure Crash Bandicoot and Ratchet & Clank did it first, if you want to think it needs "revival" at all

FYI, Steam has the original and the VR game on sale right now for deep discounts. The original is $1 and the VR game is $2.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

CaptainExplosion said:
Jpcc86 said:

Pretty sure Crash Bandicoot and Ratchet & Clank did it first, if you want to think it needs "revival" at all

It did need a revival. Before Crash Bandicoot came back, only Mario 3D platformers were actually going places. Also, like I said, Ratchet & Clank is primarily a shooter, it just happens to have platforming elements in it.

Isn't Psychonauts mainly a puzzle/adventure game with platform elements in it? Or did they change it up drastically?