By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Psychonauts revive the 3D platformer genre not made by Nintendo?

CaptainExplosion said:
SvennoJ said:

Isn't Psychonauts mainly a puzzle/adventure game with platform elements in it? Or did they change it up drastically?

I thought it was primarily classified as a 3D platformer.

Maybe, I didn't really get that from the Eurogamer review, yet they go on and on about the mental health, consent and other current social media issues.

As witty, eccentric and imaginative as the 2005 action-platformer, with a more developed understanding of mental health.

From that review It seems more like a game written for reviewers while platforming gets only this for mention

"He's still a talented acrobat, with cleaned-up platforming controls that, nonetheless, probably won't keep Mario awake at night, and he has all his old psychic abilities: telekinesis, mind bullets, pyrokinesis, a clairvoyance skill that lets him turn other characters into CCTV cameras, and the ability to funnel his brainwaves into a bouncy balloon that can be run on for speed or dangled from to glide."

They talk a lot more about platforming for the ratchet and clank review!

Eh, there aren't any pure 3D platformers anymore, Astrobot is about the closest recently.

Around the Network

The only 3D platformer franchise that needs a revival I can think of is Sonic

I dont know about this one. I just dont think smaller scale games really do much for a genre. I would say a revival would nesesitate at least some party to go all in on something not a small crowdfunded endevour.

And I know of small number of exeptions of smaller games like Minecraft and shovel night and other smaller games that become wildly popular but thinking thats comong is another mistake.

Plus I dont think platformers need a revival. They been pretty succesfully on Nintendo consoles and hit or miss on PlayStation consoles.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

SvennoJ said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I thought it was primarily classified as a 3D platformer.

Maybe, I didn't really get that from the Eurogamer review, yet they go on and on about the mental health, consent and other current social media issues.

As witty, eccentric and imaginative as the 2005 action-platformer, with a more developed understanding of mental health.

From that review It seems more like a game written for reviewers while platforming gets only this for mention

"He's still a talented acrobat, with cleaned-up platforming controls that, nonetheless, probably won't keep Mario awake at night, and he has all his old psychic abilities: telekinesis, mind bullets, pyrokinesis, a clairvoyance skill that lets him turn other characters into CCTV cameras, and the ability to funnel his brainwaves into a bouncy balloon that can be run on for speed or dangled from to glide."

They talk a lot more about platforming for the ratchet and clank review!

Eh, there aren't any pure 3D platformers anymore, Astrobot is about the closest recently.

Sackboy is one too.

New Super Lucky's Tale is also great 3D platformer from a couple year ago.

New super lucky tale is a great platform game.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network

Unfortunately I think Mario is the only 3D platforming franchise that will keep being popular and sell super well. The era of platformers has ended in the early 2000's. Sonic has fallen. Crash 4 didn't sell well on PS4 and Xbox One (Switch sales might be better who knows). Naughty Dog have no interest going back to Jak. Ratchet and Clank since Going Commando has been more as a 3rd Person Shooter than a Platformer which the 1st game is mostly. Spyro I doubt will return. Croc is gone. Sly Cooper most likely is gone. Sackboy and Astro aren't that big.

I want more 3D platformers, but a lot of developers, including indies go for 2D platformers mainly because making "good" 3D platformers are much harder than 2D.

I think 3D platformers themselves are struggling since they've been done ad nauseum. Or in other words, the only one that is really standing the test of time is the one that truly innovated it in the first place: Super Mario. From Super Mario 64 on, they've remained the king of 3D platformers to the point that either no one can really compete, or that the ideas are running thin. FPS games are having this same exhaustion, the only difference is that the development and marketing budgets funding the big ones are coming from very, VERY deep pockets. If any 3D platformer had the money behind it that CoD does (or did, I think this year's seems to be weaker marketing), they would also sell 10+ million copies.

It's just not a popular genre at the moment and there's little room for innovation outside of Super Mario, and even then, let's face it: like many people, Super Mario Galaxy is still considered the pinnacle, so Nintendo has yet to outdo even themselves in the 3D platformer arena.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Kakadu18 said:

Sackboy is one too.

New Super Lucky's Tale is also great 3D platformer from a couple year ago.

Is Sackboy any good? The only thing my mind brings up with Sackboy is floaty controls and bad LBP user levels. They should have used a different mascot! Dreams does have some great user made platformers though, yet Sackboy has negative appeal to me :/

ZyroXZ2 said:

I think 3D platformers themselves are struggling since they've been done ad nauseum. Or in other words, the only one that is really standing the test of time is the one that truly innovated it in the first place: Super Mario. From Super Mario 64 on, they've remained the king of 3D platformers to the point that either no one can really compete, or that the ideas are running thin. FPS games are having this same exhaustion, the only difference is that the development and marketing budgets funding the big ones are coming from very, VERY deep pockets. If any 3D platformer had the money behind it that CoD does (or did, I think this year's seems to be weaker marketing), they would also sell 10+ million copies.

It's just not a popular genre at the moment and there's little room for innovation outside of Super Mario, and even then, let's face it: like many people, Super Mario Galaxy is still considered the pinnacle, so Nintendo has yet to outdo even themselves in the 3D platformer arena.

Imo Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Odyssey are both a bit better.

Kakadu18 said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Imo Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Odyssey are both a bit better.

SMG2 is a tough one to say because it was just more of and expanded SMG, and that makes SMG the innovator between the two.  But Odyssey?  Nah, I don't think Odyssey touches SMG: there's a greater level of creativity on show in SMG.  I think Odyssey focused too much on trying to combine SM64 and SMG, so while it's nostalgic, it never touches the "wow" factor of SMG, especially when SMG has the far superior soundtrack lol

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/