By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Psychonauts revive the 3D platformer genre not made by Nintendo?

ZyroXZ2 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Imo Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Odyssey are both a bit better.

SMG2 is a tough one to say because it was just more of and expanded SMG, and that makes SMG the innovator between the two.  But Odyssey?  Nah, I don't think Odyssey touches SMG: there's a greater level of creativity on show in SMG.  I think Odyssey focused too much on trying to combine SM64 and SMG, so while it's nostalgic, it never touches the "wow" factor of SMG, especially when SMG has the far superior soundtrack lol

SMG has the better soundtrack indeed.

I think that SMG2 has generally an a bit better level design and while I had issues with the camera under water in SMG I didn't have any at all in SMG2 and SMO.

SMO was never nostalgic to me in the slightest, the way bigger amount of content and never getting kicked out of the lrvels after getting a moon and way more exploring make SMO better imo. Also I think that SMO is still wildly creative.

That said, my favorite Mario game is Super Mario Sunshine.

Around the Network

You should be looking at this Direct instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvWTZJjMUo4

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

If we're defining it as "reviving" a genre, than Psychonauts 2 would need to outsell It Takes Two, Rift Apart or Crash 4, which isn't happening.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 27 August 2021

Fun fact. When I was working at Best Buy, someone came in who claimed to be the head of Majesco, or some high ranking person. Dunno if that's true or not, but he seemed to know his shit. We talked for a bit, and as he was going to leave, I said "make Psychonauts 2". He winced and then talked about how much they lost on it. 

Kakadu18 said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

I think 3D platformers themselves are struggling since they've been done ad nauseum. Or in other words, the only one that is really standing the test of time is the one that truly innovated it in the first place: Super Mario. From Super Mario 64 on, they've remained the king of 3D platformers to the point that either no one can really compete, or that the ideas are running thin. FPS games are having this same exhaustion, the only difference is that the development and marketing budgets funding the big ones are coming from very, VERY deep pockets. If any 3D platformer had the money behind it that CoD does (or did, I think this year's seems to be weaker marketing), they would also sell 10+ million copies.

It's just not a popular genre at the moment and there's little room for innovation outside of Super Mario, and even then, let's face it: like many people, Super Mario Galaxy is still considered the pinnacle, so Nintendo has yet to outdo even themselves in the 3D platformer arena.

Imo Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Odyssey are both a bit better.

I think what makes Galaxy 2 better is that it assumes you played the first, and keeps the difficulty curve going from there. So, there are less basic levels designed to get you used to the mechanics, freeing them to do more creative stuff and it's just more difficult in general. Better for Mario veterans, but maybe a bit too tough for younger or less experienced players. 

If it was Nintendo exclusive, it would be talked about as if it was the greatest game ever made.