By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Psychonauts revive the 3D platformer genre not made by Nintendo?

Game isn't even out yet. And Ratchet and Clank got an 88 meta like 2 months ago.

Around the Network

Do you mean a sequel that was crowdfunded to a game that didn't sell that well and was only a cult hit? No, I doubt it. Just because it reviews well doesn't mean it will sell well. Maybe this will sell pretty well but I doubt it. Not even a physical of the game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Do you mean a sequel that was crowdfunded to a game that didn't sell that well and was only a cult hit? No, I doubt it. Just because it reviews well doesn't mean it will sell well. Maybe this will sell pretty well but I doubt it. Not even a physical of the game.

It won't sell very well because a good chunk of its audience will play it on Gamepass. That being said, it was part of why I resigned up to Gamepass.

Have it scored 89?

Now I think I'm getting it

In order for a genre to be revived, it has to sell well, not just score well.

But I hope it does get revived. It's one of my favorite genres!

Around the Network

For this to revive the genre its going to do well commercially. And I doubt this will due a few factors. One being fairly niche IP from a couple generations back and this is going to be 'free' on GP. Iirc the first game flopped quite hard despite it getting good reviews and press and I'd imagine the sequel this doing better from the first game but not great in sales.

Hope it does well as it does look decent, but resurgence on platformers based on the success of this one game.. nope.

Last edited by hinch - on 24 August 2021

I'm trying to get through the first game but the graphics and frame rate is a sore eye. I wish they could have released a remaster.. I already purchased psycho2, now i'm deciding if I should play it first or try power through the first.

KratosLives said:

I'm trying to get through the first game but the graphics and frame rate is a sore eye. I wish they could have released a remaster.. I already purchased psycho2, now i'm deciding if I should play it first or try power through the first.

Framerate? How old is your pc?

I'd say A Hat in Time was more important than a game not yet released.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Well we've had Astro's Playroom, Sackboy and Ratchet all do relatively well reception wise. Ratchet is the only run away hit, but its clear there's an audience platformers

The success of the game will be hard to read because

1. ​Gamepass
2. It's seemingly not allowed to advertise on Playstation platformers, where it would expectedly get the bulk of its observable sales

But I would love for it to do surprisingly well. Will be waiting til after Kena to play it