By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2021: Los Angeles Rams Win Super Bowl LVI

Who will win Super Bowl LVI?

Kansas City Chiefs 2 9.09%

Buffalo Bills 2 9.09%

Baltimore Ravens 0 0%

Cleveland Browns 1 4.55%

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 31.82%

Green Bay Packers 3 13.64%

Los Angeles Rams 3 13.64%

New Orleans Saints 0 0%

Other (AFC) 3 13.64%

Other (NFC) 1 4.55%

Total:22
RolStoppable said:
burninmylight said:

I'm glad that you went back and edited your email after learning more about the situation, but I'm still going to reply to a part of it while acknowledging your awareness of newfound information.

It's one thing for someone, say a young adult, to have things they said as an adolescent/teenager/late teens or early 20s adult come to light, when their collection of life experiences can be chalked up to a lack of maturity, experience and worldly knowledge. You yourself have made a thread about how you were once racist not because you just plain hate black and brown people illogically, but because your life experiences growing up in Germany gave you a poor perception of such people via the media, and you hadn't really met anyone in real life to give you reason to reassess that until the Internet.

Jon Gruden is a grown ass man in the 58th year of his life who has worked with women, people of color and members of the LGBTQ+ community for decades. He has worked in and covered an organization where the primary work force consist of colored people that have made hims tens of millions of dollars. A decade ago, he was a grown ass 48-year-old  man, not some knuckleheaded teen with his first Twitter account. He has had plenty of years on this Earth to figure out who he is and what he stands for and believes in. If that's the kind of things he says off-mic, not just one time in a moment of weakness but consciously over the course of years, then that's who he is. It's not someone found recordings of his drunk ramblings; these are emails that he had to consciously take the time to type and press Send. Typing an email should be given even more weight than shooting from the cuff with your mouth.

TL:DR - You can sum it up in two old, but timeless phrases: "You can't teach an old dog new tricks", and "Character is who you are in the dark"

It's not easy to piece things together from the initial writeups about this story. When it was just that one e-mail, Gruden could provide an excuse of being angry because of a lockout in the NFL, so with some goodwill he could be given the benefit of the doubt of having just a bad day and weak moment. But with more information surfacing, that benefit had to be revoked without question. Regardless, your point is correct; typing an e-mail is on a whole nother level than an outburst on Twitter or drunk ramblings.

That not more tidbits of Gruden's e-mails have been made public might just be the result of him resigning. I am sure he knows the kinds of things he said and how often he did it, so his decision to resign can be seen as an act of self-defense, in the sense of keeping things under wraps instead of provoking a situation where all the beans get spilled until he eventually has to resign anyway.

I am not German nor did I grow up in Germany, by the way.

I'm sorry; I'm an ugly American who forgets Austria =/= Germany. I hear Austria and my brain says, "Oh yeah, that one place that is like Germany's cute little sibling."

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:

Gruden definitely deserved to loose his job. Also I'm pretty sure coaching contracts are guaranteed so he is walking away with $100 million dollar just from his last contract which is more then most people will ever make from the NFL. So even if for some strange reason disagree with the firing you definitely shouldn't be sad about it. To me he was always very overrated as a coach he might just be the most overrated coach of all the coaches that won at least one Super Bowl he pretty much duplicated what Barry Switzer did with the Cowboys he didn't build that Buccaneers that won that title. That being said I think that Switzer is a better football coach then Gruden since he won three national titles with Oklahoma before he coached the Cowboys and is in the College Football Hall of Fame as a coach.

I highly doubt that the Raiders will have to continue sending him paychecks since he resigned on his own, and I'd bet there are special clauses in the contract that allow them to get out of it for circumstances like this. A head coach's contract guarantees are usually only in effect if the coach is fired by the team.

The fact that in a forum, where usually well self educated brains gather, an American still confused Austria and Germany. It's classically hilarious.

Anyways, the Eagles do not look like an NFL team. Brady made them look like a practice squad. I dunno wtf coaches are thinking when they scheme up those game plans.

EDIT: plus, we all know Rol is really Australian

Last edited by hatmoza - on 15 October 2021

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

BYEBYETB-PHI1MIA-JAX2
KC-WAS1LAR-NYG1HOU-IND2CIN-DET1
GB-CHI1LAC-BAL1MIN-CAR1ARI-CLE2
LV-DEN2DAL-NE1SEA-PIT2BUF-TEN1

I'm switching SEA pick to PIT.
I didn't know Wilson was out

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network
BYEBYETB-PHI1MIA-JAX1
GB-CHI1LAC-BAL2MIN-CAR1ARI-CLE2

BYEBYETB-PHI1MIA-JAX1
KC-WAS1LAR-NYG1HOU-IND2CIN-DET2
GB-CHI1LAC-BAL1MIN-CAR1ARI-CLE2
LV-DEN2DAL-NE2SEA-PIT2BUF-TEN2

The overseas game almost got me again! I'll take the Dolphins on the "road".

LudicrousSpeed said:
KManX89 said:

Yep, and not to mention, the Bills were already plenty pissed and motivated enough BEFORE that Tweet. They didn't need the bulletin board material, but they gave it to 'em, anyway.

But yeah, this week has been... cathartic to say the least. First the Pack wins in the most lopsided fashion possible and then the Bills (my AFC team/team I "secretly" root for) kick the shit out of the Chiefs and make them look stupid after rubbing the AFCCG (in which they got away with mugging receivers and holding on BOTH sides of the ball all damn game) in their face with that absolutely classless Tweet.

I like Patty Mahomes (when he's at his peak, there's nobody funner to watch), but I must admit it's getting harder to root for them, and it doesn't help when they do/say shit like this. And having that subhuman piece of garbage, Tyreek Hill on their team.

You do realize that Andy Reid doesn’t make the tweets for the Chiefs tweeter account, right? 😆 It’s probably some unpaid intern or dude in a suit that isn’t connected to the team at all outside of being on the social media team. Also what was classless about it? Seemed like an innocent tweet meant to stir interest among the fans. If the NYG social media team had tweeted that and showed a picture of Dak with his foot falling off and then him being carted off crying and said “remember last year”, ok, that’s classless. 

And this is coming from a Broncos fan who hates the Queefs. Was very happy to see them lose. Bills look great. They look like they are a level above anyone else in the NFL. If they continue to get that run game going they might be unbeatable. It’s very different than KC because Buffalo has an actual defense. It’s different than Baltimore because the Bills have a QB who can throw consistently. Maybe the Chargers are close but the jury is out on their defense as well. 

It was probably somebody from the Chiefs' P.R. department or some shit, in which case, they're still attached to the team and give them a bad name by Tweeting that. It may not be somebody of note from the Chiefs like an Andy Reid or a player/assistant coach, but the attachment exists. The fact that the Tweet says "remember the last time WE played the Bills?" should tell you everything you need to know.

Regardless, that guy should've known it's a bad look for their team and had the wherewithall not to rub it in the Bills' faces mere days before their big prime time rematch of the AFCCG, especially with the way the two teams are built now compared to then. The tables have turned and the Bills aren't a good matchup for them at all this year. They actually have a defense, unlike KC, and they don't have the Super Bowl hangover to deal with, which they're proving is real. They couldn't have picked a worse time to Tweet that malarkey and I'm glad it blew up in their face.

Seriously, the only guy who looks worse than he did after Tweeting that is Jon Gruden, what a piece of shit. He's effectively ousted himself from the NFL. No team is gonna want to come anywhere near him and ESPN won't take him back, either on any of their shows. He doesn't have the track record to be a piece of shit and still have a job like Tyreek Hill (though he arguably did once upon a time), so put a fork in him, he's done. Bye bye, and good riddance.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 17 October 2021

BYEBYETB-PHI1MIA-JAX1
GB-CHI1LAC-BAL2MIN-CAR2ARI-CLE2