By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if the next Nintendo console is not the "Switch 2"?

Due to the ongoing chip shortages and global supply issues I doubt we'll see any new or upgraded Switch model until late '22 at the absolute earliest, and even then I'd say sometime in '23 is more realistic. It all depends on if Nintendo thinks they need a bit more horsepower under the hood for their biggest upcoming releases like BotW2.

I also don't think Nintendo will deviate from the current hybrid console hardware setup with the Switch's successor, at least I hope they don't. The Switch is honestly the best all around system they've released in decades and it would be absolutely foolish to try something new or go back to the drawing board at this time. Don't mess with success... if it ain't broke don't fix it!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

Nintendo should just concentrate on making games for a couple more years. The existing hardware is just fine for running the sort of games their customers crave... People who want a powerful console will just go and buy a PS5 anyway (oh wait a second - no they can't)

At that point maybe the chip shortage will be over and technology will have moved on, allowing Nintendo's next hardware to leapfrog PS5/XBox. In the meantime, battery upgrades, cosmetic upgrades and maybe a price cut will do everything necessary to keep the Switch fresh.

If they don't make a switch 2 they're insane. They need to do the sensible thing and not take a risk. Nintendo have had their fair share of systems that have sold poorly so they can't just do whatever they want and expect success.

N64, GameCube, WiiU all sales dissapointments. They need to stay with the hybrid approach. Making a dedicated home console will see no where near the success of the switch and possibly end in disaster. Making a dedicated handheld instead of a hybrid is just limiting the device for no real reason.

I wish Nintendo would adopt a two step model: one gen innovating, one gen refining. Meaning they innovated with the Switch concept and follow up with a refined Switch 2. But the reality of Nintendo is, that they tried to innovate each gen for the past two decades. They got lucky with the 3DS, the 3D stuff wasn't a hit, but they kept the DS features so that the 3DS still worked well and fixed pricing and lackluster initial library to steer the initial bad response in a different direction. Still, I assume a true DS2 would probably have done better than 3DS. They dropped the ball hard with WiiU. Despite the name the WiiU did everything to be different from the Wii, and the result was a devastating failure.

So I wish Nintendo would us just give a Switch 2 and after that tries something new, but I fully expect them to give us a Switch U. Because that is what Nintendo does.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Sega and nintendo will team up and finally give us the dreamcube

Around the Network
OneTime said:

Nintendo should just concentrate on making games for a couple more years. The existing hardware is just fine for running the sort of games their customers crave... People who want a powerful console will just go and buy a PS5 anyway (oh wait a second - no they can't)

At that point maybe the chip shortage will be over and technology will have moved on, allowing Nintendo's next hardware to leapfrog PS5/XBox. In the meantime, battery upgrades, cosmetic upgrades and maybe a price cut will do everything necessary to keep the Switch fresh.

Totally agree with this. Leave the successor for 2023 or 2024, for the next few years just give us games, games, games. There's no need to move on any time soon.

Zippy6 said:

If they don't make a switch 2 they're insane. They need to do the sensible thing and not take a risk. Nintendo have had their fair share of systems that have sold poorly so they can't just do whatever they want and expect success.

N64, GameCube, WiiU all sales dissapointments. They need to stay with the hybrid approach. Making a dedicated home console will see no where near the success of the switch and possibly end in disaster. Making a dedicated handheld instead of a hybrid is just limiting the device for no real reason.

Agree with this too. Just for once, I'd prefer them to stick with what works instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

I find it hard to see Nintendo doing anything other than another hybrid console next time. Sure, they might introduce some innovative control method with it, but I doubt they will change the concept entirely. Why change something that works?

The next Nintendo console should be a hybrid again, but I think it won't be called "Switch" with anything added. Nintendo already said that they always want to offer something new with every console, so we should see at least one new gimmick with the new console.

When I say Switch 2, and I'm assuming a lot who use that term, it is because that is the easiest thing to call it. I used to call Switch "Thwii" before we had a codename. I used to call Wii U the TWii or Wii 2. Obviously, there will be differences and innovations, but I'd also like to take some time and consider what Nintendo hasn't changed all that much over the generations:

DS introduced touchscreens 3 generations ago, which has lasted.
Wii introduced motion controls 2 generations ago, which has lasted.
3ds/Wii U introduced gyro controls 1 generation ago, which has lasted.
Wii U introduced the concept of switching up how and where you play 1 generation ago, which Switch evolved further.

They will innovate for sure, but I could see all the above things continuing based on the last 15-20 years.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 19 August 2021

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Switch is selling a lot, everyone already knows that. But the system is almost 4 and a half year old, and some people are already seeking the idea of a future "Switch 2".

The Switch 2 would be, in theory, a new model of the current Switch with "next-gen" graphics and more power overall. But I was thinking, what if Nintendo is not planning a new Switch at all? What if they are brainstorming ideas to a brand new concept? Would that be too dangerous?

What do you think?

Your missing the "point", that nintendo explained themselves.
The "why" of why they made the switch, and it was the logical path forwards for them.

Software developement costs are riseing (even for nintendo).
(not nearly as much for nintendo, as their games dont chase hyper realism to the same degree as other platform holders)

It makes it so haveing 2 systems ( a handheld and a home console, that each require their own software, or ports) less attractive.
Ei. its costly, timely, and limits the amount of great games, you can then have on both.

Solution? do a system that can funktion as both.

Tada! the Switch is born.  (the oppersite route, they went with the Wii U (a homeconsole that could work abit like a handheld)).

a Handheld that can dock, and draw abit more power, and act like a home console.
A hybrid if you will.

The endgoal, was always to save on costs, and time, with exclusives, to make sure you have a better catalog, and to have higher profits on software.
That is the reason behinde the Switch.

The question is..... why wouldn't Nintendo do a Switch 2?

Are you suggesting, either they go full on Handheld (no dock ability, no home consoles? or full home console (give up handheld users)?
Or go back to doing both, but then leave either 1 of them, as a weak system, due to limited resources for 1 of them?

Nintendo will do a Switch 2.

The question is.... will they be smart about the name?

The next switch, they dont want to fall into a Wii U situation, where people dont understand that its the "next gen switch", and you need that to play new gen nintendo games.

The obvious thing, that consumers understand, is higher number = newer.

Is it time nintendo adopts to the norm when it comes to names?

Or will it be "Super" "new" (although this could confuse, with the new oled model) ect ect names.