By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 30, 2021 - (July 19 - July 25)

It's no surprise that GBG is doing very well in Japan. Whenever I type in Game Builder Garage on Youtube for game creations, most of the creations are from Japan.

Around the Network

If XS kept selling like this, it would outsell the XBO by end of the year already

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 29 July 2021

X|S is selling what it ships, as many pointed out its doing well gen over gen as we can see here.

I seriously don't understand what is going on with Xbox. Anyone have an explanation? Did Japanese suddenly decide they kinda like xbox? Or do they just skip a gen with xbox? First one sold half a million, 360 sold over 1.6 million, One sold 120k, so are we back to the even-gen type sales of the 360? Or is this just a temporary surge because PS5 doesn't have anything interesting so some people are just switching it up?

XBox Series trends in 2021:

First 23 weeks - 14,709 - 640/wk
Last 7 weeks - 21,585 - 3,083/wk

So clearly Xbox started shipping more to Japan in week 24, but it still doesn't explain why Japanese customers suddenly want the Series consoles so much more than the One.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Around the Network

Xbox One LT - ~115k
Xbox Series - 67.7k

Xbox Series X/S needs around 47.3k to outsell Xbox One in Japan.

Slownenberg said:

I seriously don't understand what is going on with Xbox. Anyone have an explanation? Did Japanese suddenly decide they kinda like xbox? Or do they just skip a gen with xbox? First one sold half a million, 360 sold over 1.6 million, One sold 120k, so are we back to the even-gen type sales of the 360? Or is this just a temporary surge because PS5 doesn't have anything interesting so some people are just switching it up?

Xbox one was basically not available, you basically had to order one in a store if you wanted one. (except around launch day some stores had some shelves)

Xbox series you need to pre order but stores have altleast some shelf space also gamepass get some love/promotions

Slownenberg said:

I see two reasons:

1. Gamepass, released in Japan last year iirc.

2. Xbox Series is generally a better console.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 30 July 2021

Slownenberg said:

Aside from Gamepass, likely the same forces which are causing PS5 hardware sales to be disproportionately bigger than its software sales in japan

Nice to see sales pick up for all three current systems over last week.

Still kinda surreal seeing Xbox pull better-than-negligible sales, but in a good way.