By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Nintendo sytem (handheld & console) has your favorite library of games?

Which Nintendo system (handheld & console) has your favorite library of games?

NES 4 8.33%

Game Boy/Game Boy Color 0 0%

SNES 16 33.33%

N64 9 18.75%

Game Boy Advance 1 2.08%

GameCube 6 12.50%

Wii 2 4.17%

DS 4 8.33%

3DS 5 10.42%

Wii U 1 2.08%

Total:48

I made a poll for the handhelds and someone else made a poll for the consoles, so I figure now there should be a poll for both of them in one to find out which one reigns supreme overall. Also, this is strictly about each game's own library, so you shouldn't factor in backwards compatibility or Virtual Console.

Like the original polls, the Switch is excluded because its library is still growing (and to give the other systems a fair shot....haha).

For me, I would go with the DS, due to the sheer fact that I love the 4th gen to a slightly lesser extent the 5th gen Pokemon games. Also need to give a shout-out to Explorers of Sky, as well as Bowser's Inside Story. All rank near the top of my favorites list overall. That being said, other systems do have better games for other franchises in my opinion, like Zelda, Mario & Mario Kart. Of course, the DS never got franchises like Smash Bros. or Paper Mario and I felt that the consoles got better Mario Sports titles.

If I had included the Switch, that would be the one I would choose. Ultimately, I would rank everything pre-Switch (excluding Wii U & Virtual Boy) as follows:

1. DS- Reasons listed above.

2. GameCube- TTYD is my third favorite Nintendo game. Metroid Prime & Wind Waker are in my top 10. Melee is probably my second favorite SSB and Double Dash is my 3rd favorite MK. XD & Colosseum were great games and I have fond memories with Channel. Mario Party 4 was fun and Sunshine was solid.

3. 3DS- FE: Awakening is a top 5 Nintendo game for me. Kid Icarus is also pretty highly ranked for me and OoT 3D is a great remake of a classic. Planet Robobot is my favorite Kirby game and Triple Deluxe is probably third. Gen 6 Pokemon games were good and ALBW was as well. Super Mystery Dungeon, Smash 3DS, MK7 & Dark Moon are solid games. Samus Returns, 3D Land & DKCR 3D were good. Wasn't a big fan of Gen 7 Pokemon though and Paper Mario, Paper Jam, TF Heroes and others left something to be desired.

4. Wii- The Mario Galaxy games are masterpieces. I actually prefer MK Wii slightly over Double Dash. Brawl was great. TP was a masterpiece and I actually like SS a lot more now (could be argued that it is because of the remake, but I don't think it would be too different if I replayed the Wii version). I have very fond memories with Super Sluggers, MP8, Sports Mix and Wii Party. Also, Prime 3 was great. Super Paper Mario & NSMBWii were great games, as was Strikers Charged.

5. GBA- 3rd Generation Pokemon games. I honestly don't remember a lot of the other GBA games I had, but I know a lot of it was silly kid stuff based on Scooby Doo, etc. I do have fond memories with 2 Hamtaro games though.

6. N64- Mario 64 & OoT are great games. MK64 is OK and Smash is fun. Pokemon Snap is a great game, even if it is short. Can't go wrong with GoldenEye.

7. Game Boy Color- 2nd Generation Pokemon.

8. Game Boy- 1st Generation Pokemon.

9. SNES- Mario World and ALttP are good games. The DKC trilogy is great. SMK is OK.

10. NES- The Mario & Zelda games are fun (well, moreso Zelda 1 than 2). The NES version of DK, Pac-Man & Punch-Out!! are fun as well.

As you can see, I started with GBA & GCN, so I have more to say about those systems than about anything N64/GBC & older. Those are still great systems, but it's harder to go back to those systems when I started with stuff that was more advanced.

What is your favorite? Feel free to post your ranking of all of them, or all that you have at least played. Feels weird to include Wii U since it is so similar to Switch.

EDIT: Decided to merge GB & GBC and add Wii U since Wii U got votes in the console only thread and Game Boy got no votes in the handheld thread.

Last edited by Torpoleon - on 24 July 2021

Around the Network

I think we should only count games that were released for that hardware and not BC and ports right? Because otherwise I think Switch would blow up everything else

1) SNES: Pinnacle of 2D gaming, so many quality titles: A Link to The Past, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country trilogy, Star Fox, Final Fantasy VI, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Megaman X, my favorite: Yoshi's Island!

2) Switch: WIP, but damn good library. Mario Oddysey, Splaton 2, FE Three Houses, Astral Chain, Breath of The Wild, Animal Crossing New Horizons, and that's just the exclusives there are very good 3rd parties too like DQ XI, Immortal Fenyx Rising, Octopath Travaler, etc

3) 3DS: Solid library too even if somewhat smaller, A Link Between Worlds, Yokai Watch 1 and 2, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Fire Emblem Awakening, Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Ikarus Uprising, 

4) DS: Pokemon gen 4 and 5, plus remakes plus Mystery Dungeon (I really like most of Pokemon input from this era), Dragon Quest IX, Phantom Hourglass, The World Ends With You, Yu-Gi-Oh Nightmare Troubadour. I'm ruling out some SNES games I've only played from DS otherwise it would be higher

5) N64: Have some great games there are here, even if they haven't aged that well. Mario 64, two wonderful Zelda games, Star Fox 64, Pokemon Stadium 1/2, Yoshi's Story, Banjo Kazooie, Kirby 64, Pokemon Snap

6) Game Cube: Played mostly thanks to emulation, but here it goes: Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4 (I only know the PS2 version though), Metroid Prime, Resident Evil (game cube version)

7) Wii U: Has a surprisingly tiny but good exclusive library, BOTW, Pikmin 3, Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad...

8) NES: I don't really think their games aged sufficiently well to be played. I find original Final Fantasy ok-ish. I really do like Super Mario 3 though 

9) Wii: Mario Galaxy, DK Country Returns and... err... Xenoblade I guess?

I don't know enough about GB/GBC, GBA or Wii U. I'm still ranking Wii U nevertheless because I've played some of its games on Switch. For GBA there is 3rd gen Pokemon and The Minish Cap

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 24 July 2021

IcaroRibeiro said:

I think we should only count games that were released for that hardware and not BC and ports right? Because otherwise I think Switch would blow up everything else

1) SNES
2) Switch
3) 3DS
4) DS
5) N64
6) Game Cube
7) Wii U
8) NES
9) Wii

I don't know enough about GB/GBC, GBA or Wii U. I'm still ranking Wii U nevertheless because I've played some of its games on Switch

Yeah, I would definitely say not to count BC. Ports are OK as long as it is not Virtual Console, to the point where it is technically a remake or remaster, like OoT 3D.

Switch then SNES.

That's it. Hated 3DS. DS I liked at the time but hard to go back to now. I hate how clunky it is to use a Wii or Wii U. Gamecube is a lame console to me. I was never big on Nintendo's handhelds. I preferred Game Gear,PSP,Neo Geo Pocket Color,Vita and such.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

So far, the 3DS. The Switch will probably surpass it. If you include ports, the Switch already has.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Fire Emblem: Awakening are two of my favorite games ever.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

NES is #1.  I had no idea at the time that I'd be playing sequels to my favorite NES games for 3-4 decades.

Out of the systems I've owned, I'd probably rank them like this:
1) NES
2) Switch
3) GBA
4) SNES
5) Wii
6) DS
7) Wii U
8) 3DS
9) Gamecube

Torpoleon said:

Yeah, I would definitely say not to count BC. Ports are OK as long as it is not Virtual Console, to the point where it is technically a remake or remaster, like OoT 3D.

I have problems to distinguish when a game is a port, remake or remaster tbh. If remasters count then DS and GBA must be higher cause I know they have many SNES titles. Indeed I think some of SNES games I've played using DS or emulation from my memory I'm sure Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island were on my DS, but I also have foggy child memories (like 6 or 7 years old) playing Yoshi's Island on SNES itself

3DS also Wii U also have their fair share of remasters, Wind Waker on Wii U looks amazing. 3DS have both N64 Zeldas completely remade from scratch

Switch is my number 1, not counting that it's as follows:

1. Gamecube
2. 3DS
3. SNES
4. Wii
5. N64
6. DS
7. GBA
8. Wii U
9. GB/GBC
10. NES

SNES.

Its lineup is truly legendary; Donkey Kong Country 1/2/3, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, A Link to the Past, Super Mario RPG, Demon's Crest, F-Zero, Super Mario Kart, Doom, Starfox...

It represents both the pinnacle of 2D gaming as well as some of the first exciting steps into the new world of 3D, Nintendo's first party firing on all cylinders as well as the last time they had full, unqualified third party support, and most of its best games still hold up beautifully today.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 July 2021

Snes, hands down.