By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Nintendo sytem (handheld & console) has your favorite library of games?

Which Nintendo system (handheld & console) has your favorite library of games?

NES 4 8.33%

Game Boy/Game Boy Color 0 0%

SNES 16 33.33%

N64 9 18.75%

Game Boy Advance 1 2.08%

GameCube 6 12.50%

Wii 2 4.17%

DS 4 8.33%

3DS 5 10.42%

Wii U 1 2.08%

Total:48

It’s a real shame that Nintendo Ultra 64 became Nintendo 64. The lack of Metroidis what keeps it from being no. 1 from the list.

SNES is the best then.

It has the most games and their replay ability is awesome. It’s lacking in 3D grffx but it makes up for it in accessibility, sophistication, and the best Metroid.

Around the Network

It's hands down the GameCube for me. The Switch would be second and has a chance of catching up, but since we're not counting that just yet:

1. GameCube
  2. Wii
  3. SNES
  4. GBA
  5. 3DS
  6. N64
  7. DS
  8. Wii U
  9. GBC
  10. NES

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

GBA. It has the biggest quantity of my favourite games ever in a single platform. Golden Sun 1 and 2, Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission, Zelda Minish Cap, Pokémon Fire Red/Emerald, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, KH Chain of Memories (not that shitty PS2 remake), Wario Land 4, Mother 3, Rhythm Tengoku, Advance Wars 1 and 2...

I’ll say N64, again, for like the 100th time.

1. Gamecube
2. Switch
3. 3DS

Around the Network

SNES first.

- N64 I think had the best top games but it's library wasn't deep. But just it's top 10-15 Nintendo and Rare games alone makes it a behemoth, not to mention it was the ultimate local multiplayer system ever.
- NES obviously great and so many classics but SNES was everything bigger and better.
- Gamecube was very good but it didn't have any GOAT-type games like say the N64 did, while it's library was a lot deeper than N64.
- Wii was pretty great though third party support was mostly cheaply done waggle controls, mostly just Wii Sports and the Mario Galaxy games shine as historically memorable experiences, but of course there were a large amount of "good" games as well.
- Can't speak about the handhelds (or Wii U), only had a GB back when I was a kid. Played Gameboy a good amount didn't play a lot of probably what are considered the classics.
- Switch is too early to tell since it's still got a few years left, but it's very good, though i think it's getting harder to compare to previous generations now that indies are a big thing and ports/remakes are a big thing, which clouds the comparison to earlier systems when new games developed by industry studios were all that existed.

So for the home consoles other than Wii U and not yet including Switch I'd say:
1. SNES
2&3. NES / N64
4. Gamecube
5. Wii

I guess I'd throw Switch in at 2nd so far, and likely it'll eventually get first, but as I said above, I don't think its really a fair comparison given the plethora of indies and old ports/remakes that exist in the market today.

Super Nintendo.

Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3, Killer Instinct, Lufia 2, Breath of Wild 2, Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Harvest Moon, Terranigma, Zelda: A link to the past, Illusion of Gaia, Final Fantasy 2 and 3... List goes on.

So many greats.

And unlike modern Nintendo consoles, the Super Nintendo was pushing some of the best visuals possible thanks to superior hardware and the SuperFX.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Second place for me would be the Wii.

Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Metroid Prime 3, Monster Hunter Tri, Zelda Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Fatal Frame 4 and the reimagining of 2, Sin & Punishment Star Successor, the Goldeneye 007 reimagining, Mario Kart Wii, The Last Story, just so many excellent games, many of them criminally overlooked.

Shadow1980 said:

For me, it's always been a toss-up between the NES and SNES. I might give a slight edge to the SNES simply because so many of my absolute all-time favorites are on it.

SNES have better third-party games, for sure. but lose all the good sports games for  Genesis. 

But The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. 3 are both Magnum Opus. The Legend of Zelda has felt when launching the Breath of the Wild, and SMB 3  is the better 2d platform of all time. SNES have a thought contender, DK 1 and 2.( Put Sonic CD and 2 at the same level)

And Megaman 2 is better Megaman too. 

NES=DS>GB=SNES>Switch>>Wii>3DS>> GBA>>N64>>>>> Gamecube>>> WiiU

Last edited by Agente42 - on 26 July 2021

I voted for the SNES. Although Nintendo itself had a better presence on the NES than on the SNES, it's on the third party side of things that the SNES wins this battle. Seriously, the 16 bit generation was the greatest gen ever for Japanese third party.

1)SNES
2)NES
3)Switch
4)Wii