By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valve releasing Switch competitor SteamDeck Dec 2021, $399, Zen 2 CPU and RDNA 2 GPU

Does steam have any built in remote play (Wifi streaming) function?

Around the Network
Otter said:

Does steam have any built in remote play (Wifi streaming) function?

It has steam, so yes.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Pemalite said:
Cobretti2 said:

The switch 2 will need to be closer to PS4 Pro in handheld mode for people to consider it a worthy generational upgrade.

You have absolutely no idea on this, specifications haven't been released.

Why do I need to know anything about Switch 2? I was merely replying that I would not be happy with a 2 TFLOP machine in docked mode as a generational upgrade if Switch 2 comes out end of 2023 or 2024.

For me to consider a next gen Switch it has to be at least PS4 Pro level for me to buy it.

OdinHades said:
TheBraveGallade said:

there is one huge difference with storage space between the switch and this thing that many people are forgetting.
To some users, mostly thouse who go phisical, you don't really need that much memory unless the devs force it, an the switch. Ergo to quite a large portion of the audience, ay extra space they put in is effectivly wasted money.
steam deck not only does not have this option but its games are bulkier, sometimes by 2, 3, or 4 times in size on PC.

a 500 GB card is near endless on the switch, how much does 500GB get you on your gaming laptop?

I don't know, but I'll get a 1TB microSD anyway. That'll be enough for me to take every single game ever made for NES, SNES, N64, Gameboy, GBC, GBA with me plus a few modern titles. I can swap titles with my external hard drive which I can just take with me on longer journeys or to a vacation or something. I enjoy endless possibilities as the Steam Deck will support every peripheral possibly imaginable. These options are what really makes this thing so damn exciting. You can do whatever the hell you want with it. It is a PC in the form of a handheld. Something I dreamt about ever since the 90s.

Honestly, if you aren't excited about that, I don't know what the hell is wrong with you. It doesn't mean the Switch is bad or has no reason to exist anymore. It just means that we will get another awesome device in the future for, mainly, totally different use cases. Use cases that are truly amazing for anyone who thinks of himfels as a gamer of some sort.

The switch is not only a portable device, it´s a hybrid system when you take it to the box. And have Nintendo IP too. The storage system for a low price model it´s a problem, we need to look at ergonomics for controls and battery life when launch. 

I was looking for a GPD win 3 or an Aya Neo, now I´m waiting for the Steam Deck. 

padib said:
Captain_Yuri said:

A few things to note.

You can install Windows on it if you want to and it will work like a normal PC.

Valve has been working on Proton since I believe 2018 which is a way to get Windows games to work on Linux. If you use the Steam client on Linux, you shouldn't need to tweak anything to get Windows games to run Linux for the majority of the games. Valve also said they are working with Anti Cheat developers to enable Linux compatibility for Windows games that have Anti Cheat engines. According to Valve, by the time Steam Deck comes out, every game on Steam will run on Linux.

The Steam Deck ships with Steam OS 3.0 which runs a custom version of Linux. As a casual user, if you ever used big picture mode on Steam, it will look and function very similar to that. It should be as simple as logging in, hitting the install button to download/install the game and pressing play. Valve is making it very user friendly but you do have access to the full desktop version of Linux if you are a power user.

I had never heard of proton, I'll check it out. When I got my latest laptop, I was considering going with Linux, one of the aspects I checked was gaming: I checked for playing windows games on Linux, through Wine and there were lots of tweaks to do and games weren't guaranteed to work.

I have my doubts about the seemlessness of the integration but at least it sounds better than I had expected given what you're telling me. We'll see

Some big games yet don´t work on Proton. 

Around the Network
TheBraveGallade said:

there is one huge difference with storage space between the switch and this thing that many people are forgetting.
To some users, mostly thouse who go phisical, you don't really need that much memory unless the devs force it, an the switch. Ergo to quite a large portion of the audience, ay extra space they put in is effectivly wasted money.
steam deck not only does not have this option but its games are bulkier, sometimes by 2, 3, or 4 times in size on PC.

a 500 GB card is near endless on the switch, how much does 500GB get you on your gaming laptop?

Here's my plan. I have multiple portable SSD's that can easily travel with me. I can easily get a USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter in the rare scenario I want to move games around while I am away from my internet. Since this is a PC the process of transferring games is seemless.

I reserved the 512GB internal memory model. A 512 GB SD card would give it about as much portable memory as the PS5 and XBX. 512 GB SSD speeds and 512 GB of HDD - early SATA SSD speeds depending on which SD card I buy.

Games that are cracked can have multiple languages removed and other content changes that enable me to reduce their size on PC. These are called 'repacks.' 

This means my memory situation on this is much better than on my XBX or my future PS5. 

I can probably have half a dozen AAA games on my internal memory + SD Card at any one time, and then a half dozen more on each portable SSD I keep in my backpack. 

That should be enough. 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 17 July 2021

padib said:
Captain_Yuri said:

A few things to note.

You can install Windows on it if you want to and it will work like a normal PC.

Valve has been working on Proton since I believe 2018 which is a way to get Windows games to work on Linux. If you use the Steam client on Linux, you shouldn't need to tweak anything to get Windows games to run Linux for the majority of the games. Valve also said they are working with Anti Cheat developers to enable Linux compatibility for Windows games that have Anti Cheat engines. According to Valve, by the time Steam Deck comes out, every game on Steam will run on Linux.

The Steam Deck ships with Steam OS 3.0 which runs a custom version of Linux. As a casual user, if you ever used big picture mode on Steam, it will look and function very similar to that. It should be as simple as logging in, hitting the install button to download/install the game and pressing play. Valve is making it very user friendly but you do have access to the full desktop version of Linux if you are a power user.

I had never heard of proton, I'll check it out. When I got my latest laptop, I was considering going with Linux, one of the aspects I checked was gaming: I checked for playing windows games on Linux, through Wine and there were lots of tweaks to do and games weren't guaranteed to work.

I have my doubts about the seemlessness of the integration but at least it sounds better than I had expected given what you're telling me. We'll see

If you bought it, or to those who bought it, what is your plan with the 512GB? Just SFV on my PC was 512GB. Playing from the SD card, will it do the job.

Yea Linux in itself requires quite a lot of tweaking to make it work with Windows games through Wine. Proton is developed by Valve and CodeWeavers and it uses a Fork of Wine but Valve made a lot of work to significantly increase compatibility while making it seamless for the majority of steam games. Some of the newer AAA games or ones with Anti Cheat engines still don't work or require tweaks which is what Valve is working on to fix before launch. But we will see goes however the experience for a casual user should be pretty easy compared to a traditional Linux OS on the Steam Deck.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

padib said:

Sounds promising, will definitely keep an eye on it. Is it only on steam OS or are there plans to make it available on Ubuntu?

Also how do you see the space question, will you be playing mostly indies and small games on it, how will playing off an SD card impact the experience? I have a small nvme on my laptop and a large hard disk and it can be slow to get games going until I upgrade.

I'm waiting for reviews and it to be released on Brazil before buying, but if I actually could buy one:

- Would never use a Switch to play indies again, because indies are half of the price on steam. I already buy most of them on PC anyway, but have some on Switch to play on the go 
- Would never play smaller/A third parties on Switch again, unless they were Switch exclusive. Again, they are just less expensive on Steam
- Would never play smaller/A third parties on PS4 again, unless they were PS4 exclusive, because with steam deck I can play as handheld, while at home I can play on my laptop

Basically would turn Switch to play Switch-exclusive games only, and even then I would be skeptical because many Switch exclusives are released on PC later like Octopath Travaler, maybe will be only a matter of waiting. That's because Nintendo don't release physical games here, so I need to import and suffer the nightmare of taxes and delivery fees. Digital vs digital, better to go with Steam at least I know they won't shut down their store unlike Nintendo 

Would use PS4 (in future PS5) to play Sony games and the AAA releases. I don't have a good PC and I prefer physical. Besides AAA won't play that good on handhelds, they are better on TVs I think

padib said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea Linux in itself requires quite a lot of tweaking to make it work with Windows games through Wine. Proton is developed by Valve and CodeWeavers and it uses a Fork of Wine but Valve made a lot of work to significantly increase compatibility while making it seamless for the majority of steam games. Some of the newer AAA games or ones with Anti Cheat engines still don't work or require tweaks which is what Valve is working on to fix before launch. But we will see goes however the experience for a casual user should be pretty easy compared to a traditional Linux OS on the Steam Deck.

Sounds promising, will definitely keep an eye on it. Is it only on steam OS or are there plans to make it available on Ubuntu?

Also how do you see the space question, will you be playing mostly indies and small games on it, how will playing off an SD card impact the experience? I have a small nvme on my laptop and a large hard disk and it can be slow to get games going until I upgrade.

I don't use Linux myself so I may not be 100% on this but I believe the only way to use it is through Steam. So you download Steam on any version of Linux and it will allow you to play those games from it. You can also add "non steam games" onto the steam client and enable "Force Proton" and it will try to make the game work on Linux. The good thing about Steam OS is that the UI will look like a console UI so navigating and etc should be simple but you can also access a normal Linux desktop if you so choose.

You also have exclusive features like being able to Suspend games similar to a Switch which you can't do on Windows.

As for the space situation, I did pre-order the 512GB model but I don't plan to play AAA games on it. I mainly want to play more AA games like Scarlet Nexus and such and the occasional lewd game of course. I think AAA games will be best played off of Nvme SSD while most other games, you can get away with a MicroSD slot. I'd skip the eMMC $399 model unless all you do is play indies and AA games.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

This seems like a very nice piece of hardware. While I'm not interested it's good that people who'd want something like this now have a capable option that isn't pricey. That level of specs for that price is a great deal and it's cool that a portable device a fair amount more capable than the PS4 is now possible without being expensive.