By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valve releasing Switch competitor SteamDeck Dec 2021, $399, Zen 2 CPU and RDNA 2 GPU

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/

The handheld features a 7 inch screen, 2 thumbsticks, 2 trackpads, a D-pad, 4 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, and 4 grip buttons for control. It is powered by an AMD chipset with a Zen 2 CPU and RDNA 2 graphics (exact CPU and GPU specs still aren't released). Pricing starts at $399, with optional higher end models with more and faster storage. There is a dock for TV's which will be sold separately. The SteamDeck will begin shipping in December 2021, reservations open tomorrow, July 16th, at 10 AM PDT.

Technical Specs

Low end model Mid tier model High end model
Price $399 $529 $649
CPU Zen 2 (4 core, 8 thread, 2.4-3.5 GHz, up to 448 GFlops) Zen 2 (4 core, 8 thread, 2.4-3.5 GHz, up to 448 GFlops) Zen 2 (4 core, 8 thread, 2.4-3.5 GHz, up to 448 GFlops)
GPU RDNA 2 (8 core, 1-1.6 Hz, up to 1.6 TFlops) RDNA 2 (8 core, 1-1.6 Hz, up to 1.6 TFlops) RDNA 2 (8 core, 1-1.6 Hz, up to 1.6 TFlops)
RAM  16 GB LPDDR5 (5500 MT/s) 16 GB LPDDR5 (5500 MT/s) 16 GB LPDDR5 (5500 MT/s)
Storage (all models feature SD card slot for more storage) 64 GB eMMC (slowest, PCIe Gen 2 x1) 256 GB NVMe SSD (faster, PCIe gen 3 x4) 512 GB NVMe SSD (fastest, PCIe Gen 3 x4)
Screen 7 inch 1280 x 800 LCD, 400 nits, 60 hz 7 inch 1280 x 800 LCD, 400 nits, 60 hz 7 inch 1280 x 800 LCD, 400 nits, 60 hz
Battery  40 watt (2-8 hour battery life) 40 watt (2-8 hour battery life) 40 watt (2-8 hour battery life)
Connectivity  Wi-fi (802.1 a/b/g/n/ac) and Bluetooth 5.0 (no 5G) Wi-fi (802.1 a/b/g/n/ac) and Bluetooth 5.0 (no 5G) Wi-fi (802.1 a/b/g/n/ac) and Bluetooth 5.0 (no 5G)
Audio Stereo, 3.5m jack, dual array microphone, multi-channel audio over USB C Stereo, 3.5m jack, dual array microphone, multi-channel audio over USB C Stereo, 3.5m jack, dual array microphone, multi-channel audio over USB C
Size
298mm x 117mm x 49mm
298mm x 117mm x 49mm
298mm x 117mm x 49mm
Weight
Approx. 669 grams
Approx. 669 grams
Approx. 669 grams

7" touchscreen

Type and swipe through the Steam UI with Deck's capacitive multi-touch display.

Trackpads

Play PC games that were never designed to be handheld. With increased precision and customizability, trackpads also give you a competitive edge when playing fast paced FPS games.

Gyro

With an IMU and capacitive touch thumbsticks on-board, Deck helps you aim better. By physically positioning the device you can achieve more precision than using a thumbstick or trackpad alone.

Plays nice with all your accessories

Steam Deck is Bluetooth-ready, and its USB-C port can handle all sorts of I/O. Want to have a fighting tournament on the go? Covered. Want to play with Bluetooth mouse and keyboard? Covered. Want to pair your favorite Bluetooth headphones? You're good to go.

Deck can be plugged in to your TV

Deck can be plugged in to your TV, monitor, or even your old CRT if you have the right cables. When docked, the Steam Deck’s USB-C port can carry video, audio, input, etc. Just plug in your peripherals, or use the official dock, and you’re ready to go.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 15 July 2021

Around the Network

Is it using linuxunix? If so I'm out.

Oh it's on!

I wonder if these will perform better than the Steam Machines?

Is this a handheld or a hybrid since it can be docked and connected to the TV?

I don't think it poses much of a threat to the Switch due to the price difference. It should outperform it in terms of graphics though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Absolutely insane specs. I can't stop fapping to it! Zen 2 + 1.6TF RDNA 2 for a PC handheld is nuts!

For comparison, GPD Win 3 which comes with Intel GPU costs $800-$1000. Aya Neo which comes with last gen Vega GPU costs $700. The $529 version is insane pricing when you take that into consideration.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

It will flop. Valve never supports hardware very long anyway. Nintendo is undefeated in the hardware space and every competitor takes the same failed tactic over and over. More powerful and more expensive.

Also it looks like an Atari Lynx.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
method114 said:

Is it using linuxunix? If so I'm out.

It is using Linux but it's a PC so I doubt there will be issues installing Windows on it.

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Signalstar said:

Oh it's on!

I wonder if these will perform better than the Steam Machines?

Is this a handheld or a hybrid since it can be docked and connected to the TV?

I don't think it poses much of a threat to the Switch due to the price difference. It should outperform it in terms of graphics though...

Might wanna watch this when you get the chance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9eihvhM_KE

It will be dockable but they're selling one later down the line. But any USB C dock works with it apparently. 

It probably won't be very competitive with the Switch as the Switch's selling point is its software and ease of use, but with the new OLED Model costing $350 and this being $399 with specs that slay the Switch's, it's kind of amazing what they're doing at this price point. Nintendo seems to favor more of a profit margin than Valve on hardware. 

It'll also be able to take advantage of things like Gamepass locally...which is also awesome. 

the biggest advantage that this system has is unlike any other handheld in the past. All handhelds had to build up a library and then after having some good games the average consumer would consider buying one.

But the Steamdeck doesn't have to worry about building up a game library as it has been doing that for almost 20 years.

我是广州人

I think Switch 2 will have pretty similar specs to this when it releases, just with Nvidia instead of AMD, except it will be cheaper because the cost of specs on par with this will lower by 2023.

I want this so bad even though I don't need it now that Tekken 7 runs on my PC , but will get it because I wanna give Gabe my money for those ridicules prices he does on Steam I bought more few hours ago. King Gabe.

I game on all consoles and PC