By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valve releasing Switch competitor SteamDeck Dec 2021, $399, Zen 2 CPU and RDNA 2 GPU

Does it use standard PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSDs? If so, would it be cheaper to buy the $399 model and buy your own SSD. $130 for a 512GB SSD seems high and its a ludicrous $250 for the 1TB version. You can get a 2TB NVMe SSD for around $160

Around the Network

It won't have Nintendo games.

It will have Xbox games.

It will have some PlayStation games.

It will have Steam/PC games.

So intriguing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I don't think this is good idea, the CPU, GPU and a 64GB eMMC are underpowered specs for future AAA/AA games, you'll be forced to play indie games or even cloud gaming.

So, they will eventually update Steam Deck internal specs in the future anyway, i don't need to rush get one, this is only first step.

Now that I think about it, this is the first handheld that I am aware of that should be more powerful than a base ps4. Now obviously the ps4 is old but hopefully, this means that the Switch 2 will also be more powerful than a base ps4 as that will be releasing even later.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Signalstar said:

It won't have Nintendo games.

It will have Xbox games.

It will have some PlayStation games.

It will have Steam/PC games.

So intriguing.

If you count emulators, it will also have Nintendo games

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Pretty impressive for $399, basically a portable XBox One/PC with all the games already there.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 15 July 2021

shikamaru317 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Now that I think about it, this is the first handheld that I am aware of that should be more powerful than a base ps4. Now obviously the ps4 is old but hopefully, this means that the Switch 2 will also be more powerful than a base ps4 as that will be releasing even later.

Yeah, the Switch 2 should have something like 2.4 tflop Ampere when docked and 1.2 tflop in handheld mode when it releases in 2023-2024 I would imagine, which would be a good bit above PS4 even in handheld mode. I just hope they do a better job on storage than Valve did here, the base model's storage is quite disappointing, and the expandable storage via the SD card slot seems to be limited to UHS-I, which is nowhere near fast enough to be able to run 9th gen games off of the SD card, you will only be able to use the SD to store games and shuffle them back and forth between the SD card and the internal storage. Nintendo needs to support at least UHS-III SD cards on Switch 2 imo, SD Express on PCIe x1 if they can swing it, so that you can run games directly off the SD card with no need to shuffle games back and forth between SD and the internal storage. 

Yea the base model is effectively the "PR" model that says oh look, we have $399 price point. In reality, the starting price is $529 which to me is still an excellent price point for the specs. Especially with RDNA 2 GPU and Zen 3!

I'd be curious to see if the internal SSD is upgradable or not. If it is, one could snag up the $399 model and probably get a 500GB Nvme SSD on sale and install Windows on it.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 15 July 2021

mZuzek said:

If people looked at Switch specs in 2017 and predicted it to fail, and are now thinking this will be a big competitor... I don't think people understand what makes a console appealing in the first place. This will not be a big deal.

I think this is the "handheld" version to what PC is to consoles. I doubt this will be a direct competitor to the switch in the similar vain as PC is not a direct competitor to consoles. Sure there will be an overlap of games and etc but this won't be like say a Vita which was a direct competitor to the 3ds.

Imo this does fill a hole that a number of PC gamers has been asking for as things like GPD Win and Aya Neo and a number of other PC handhelds have had quite a lot of success while charging double the amount that this costs. So there is certainly a market for it. But I doubt this will be a switch killer and people shouldn't think of it as such.

This is awesome

Really looking foward it. I like handhelds, playing steam games on portable is definitely a dream coming true

mZuzek said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I think this is the "handheld" version to what PC is to consoles. I doubt this will be a direct competitor to the switch in the similar vain as PC is not a direct competitor to consoles. Sure there will be an overlap of games and etc but this won't be like say a Vita which was a direct competitor to the 3ds.

Imo this does fill a hole that a number of PC gamers has been asking for as things like GPD Win and Aya Neo and a number of other PC handhelds have had quite a lot of success while charging double the amount that this costs. So there is certainly a market for it. But I doubt this will be a switch killer and people shouldn't think of it as such.

I get the feeling 90% or more of the people who buy this are people who already own a powerful PC. That's where the appeal lies I think, in being able to have the same games you play on PC but on the go, with cloud saving and all.

Yea exactly! The game integration that steam offers with cloud saves and remote play and etc will help with this a lot. Especially with mods and all the other benefits that PCs get. The switch will always be the cheaper optimized experience for the masses while people like me who already owns a switch and wants a more portable PC on the go, this will be a really good alternative.