By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Apparently someone found a 'permanent' fix for Joy-Con drift.

Leynos said:

Nah this wears the contacts out faster. There is no real fix. The only fix is for Nintendo to stop using off the shelf Ali express parts and use a more custom design that doesn't use those shitty contacts. Metal scraping the contacts is why drift is happening.

Yeah, it's a wear issue. A piece of paper isn't a permanent solution, adding spring instead would be one, but as you mention the wear will increase when you do this.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Leynos said:

Nintendo is using stock Chinese parts. Nothing custom about them. Same parts as some Sony systems.

PS5:

Switch Joycon:

These 2 parts look differnt to me.

I never said PS5. Spawn Wave has decontrusted Joycons and they have the same model number and parts as some other PS systems.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

trunkswd said:

I'd rather Nintendo fixed the issue....and Microsoft and Sony. Apparently all three have some issues with drift. My Xbox Series launch controller started to drift after 6 months, while a controller usually lasts like 3 years minimum of heavy use before I start having issues.

All three (and also third party manufacturers) are using practically the same parts for the joysticks, and my understanding of the situation is that there ain't real alternatives on the market anymore (There are alternatives, but those simply don't have the production capacity to be a viable source for joycons or any other pack-in controller).

As such, there's fairly little that can be done on short term apart from pressuring the supplier(s) to deliver better built parts for the consoles.

I went to try this out last night, even took some card home from work... Couldn't find a small enough screwdriver ?. Thankfully I use split pad pro for handheld and pro controller for TV gaming, but wanted to fix my joycons so I could play skyward sword with motion controls. Hopefully Nintendo have made a good job of the button controls.

It looks like that makes sense. I don't have any bad joycons at this very moment, but whenever I get one ( I certainly will) I will definitely try that.

Around the Network
Valdney said:

It looks like that makes sense. I don't have any bad joycons at this very moment, but whenever I get one ( I certainly will) I will definitely try that.

Nah man this wears them out faster. Buy a split pad pro instead. Problem solved

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
KratosLives said:

I'm thinking of buying the swtich. Is it possible to connect a switch pro controller to the oled screen instead of using the joycon?

Just buy a Split Pad Pro. I have not used the Joycons since 2019.  https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Split-Ergonomic-Controller-Handheld/dp/B08FJ7XY3B

Joy-cons made for hands that belong to fully-grown adults? I can get behind that. Maybe I'd actually be able to play something beyond turn-based RPGs and text-driven affairs while undocked.

Leynos said:
JRPGfan said:

This means its probably a manufactureing issue.
ei. not all controllers, are as "tight" around that area, as nintendo planned.
(stuff like wear and tear, and plasic giveing abit, could also be causeing it).

Wonder if Nintendo is aware of this.
If not, they should pay this guy (if pressure fix really works) for finding it (the root cause).

Nintendo is using stock Chinese parts. Nothing custom about them. Same parts as some Sony systems.

I am an electro-mechanichal tech and what he says in the video makes sense. If I ever get a drift problem I will try it.

What you said does make sense too, though. In fact the rapid wear and tear of a cheap component does make more sense, but it does not cost anything to try this other option.

KratosLives said:

I'm thinking of buying the swtich. Is it possible to connect a switch pro controller to the oled screen instead of using the joycon?

This is not permanent.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.