By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

This is how the market works now; revisions designed to keep consumer interest over time. Smartphones have done this for years, consoles are still catching up, we've already seen this trend take over the handheld market.

Around the Network
Rick1331 said:

It's not what I was expecting or when I was expecting it, but this is Nintendo... why change the habit of a lifetime?

However as someone who mainly plays handheld I'm quite interested. Am I wrong in thinking the battery life is better? The original Switch is not great on a plane :| and I've lost track how many times I've had to stop playing something to dock and charge (cant be bothered with the rigmarole of undoing the plug). 

I'd assume this is the last major upgrade before a new console... but then again this is Nintendo and I still remember the GameBoy Micro random reveal...

Here is what I could find.  It depends if you have a launch Switch or the 2019 updated Switch.

Does the OLED Switch have better battery life?

Apparently not. The Nintendo Switch (OLED model) will have the same expected battery as the updated Switch that was released in 2019, which is "approximately 4.5 - 9 hours" according to Nintendo's website. Please note that if you bought the original Switch that was released in 2017, which looks exactly like the current Switch, it doesn't have the updated processor that improves its battery life. The 2017-released Switch has a battery life of "approximately 2.5 - 6.5 hours."

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

If someone already said this, I apologize for not reading all 20 pages, but I recently tweeted this and wanted to say it here, too:

Wait, are Nintendo apologists proud of NOT expecting a more powerful Switch? Is your bar set so low that you expect virtually nothing and think that's a WIN?!

EDIT: I did NOT think the emoji was going to be that large on the copy-paste lmfao

EDIT2: Hold up, are emoji really THIS high-res this wholeass time?!?!

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:

If someone already said this, I apologize for not reading all 20 pages, but I recently tweeted this and wanted to say it here, too:

Wait, are Nintendo apologists proud of NOT expecting a more powerful Switch? Is your bar set so low that you expect virtually nothing and think that's a WIN?!

We do expect a more powerful Switch.....the Switch 2.

KLXVER said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Ohhhhh, you mean, like all console manufacturers, there will eventually be another, more powerful system?

Come on, man, you literally know that's not the point, here lol

In fact, let me change the frame of reference: the PS4 Slim released at the same price as the base PS4, the Xbox One S released at the same price as the base Xbox One.  If Nintendo was going to do a redesign/refresh, they could have simply replaced the normal Switch (or dropped the normal switch to $250 to slot this one at $300).

Instead, Nintendo fans have to defend this by saying, "well, it's got an OLED screen and it's for people who don't already own a Switch" in which a PSVita had an OLED 10 years ago so it's not "expensive" screen technology, it's 720p, and it's using hardware released in 2015.  The absolute MINIMUM logical choice was to price it as a replacement for the base Switch which would clearly follow in line with redesigns that have happened to other consoles as well.  You don't charge more if you aren't upgrading the core components that were already made in 2015 (two years prior to the release of the Switch itself), that's just pure greed and taking advantage of fan blind loyalty.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network
ZyroXZ2 said:

EDIT: I did NOT think the emoji was going to be that large on the copy-paste lmfao

I think the whole hype train stuff and rumours and so on are actually bad. We play games to have fun. But terminally online people like us tend to get too emotional deep into stuff. And yes, that is fun to a degree. But it is quite easy to get to a point where you set your expectations unrealistically and in result turn grumpy as you constantly disappointed.

I didn't expect and don't need a new Switch model. While I certainly am interested in it, it shouldn't dampen my hype for the year full of interesting games for the system, just got Disgaea 6 and Mario Golf, soon will have Monster Hunter Stories and Ys IX and later that year get Advance Wars and Pokemon and most importantly - freaking Shin Megami Tensei V. So yes, I have more than enough to play and I am quite certain I will have fun with these games. Now a random announcement of a new model should destroy my fun, just because leaks and rumours built much higher expectations? That is an unhealthy stance.

I will have enough reason to get grumpy with Nintendo, once I don't get enough interesting games on the system. But at the moment I have a lot of fun playing it, and nothing in this announcement of a model I probably won't buy will change that.

Does that make me a Nintendo apologist? Maybe. But possibly I am also much more happy this way, as I just enjoy gaming.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

ZyroXZ2 said:
KLXVER said:

Ohhhhh, you mean, like all console manufacturers, there will eventually be another, more powerful system?

Come on, man, you literally know that's not the point, here lol

In fact, let me change the frame of reference: the PS4 Slim released at the same price as the base PS4, the Xbox One S released at the same price as the base Xbox One.  If Nintendo was going to do a redesign/refresh, they could have simply replaced the normal Switch (or dropped the normal switch to $250 to slot this one at $300).

Instead, Nintendo fans have to defend this by saying, "well, it's got an OLED screen and it's for people who don't already own a Switch" in which a PSVita had an OLED 10 years ago so it's not "expensive" screen technology, it's 720p, and it's using hardware released in 2015.  The absolute MINIMUM logical choice was to price it as a replacement for the base Switch which would clearly follow in line with redesigns that have happened to other consoles as well.  You don't charge more if you aren't upgrading the core components that were already made in 2015 (two years prior to the release of the Switch itself), that's just pure greed and taking advantage of fan blind loyalty.

Well I agree with you on the price. I dont see how this is worth 50 bucks more 4 years after the original launched. Thats just greed. Im not really surprised though. Nintendo has been very greedy this gen. I guess that comes with having a successful console with them.

ZyroXZ2 said:

That emoji is an .svg file.

Those are not an image, but a 2D render, and can be infinite in size as it scales pretty much from 0 to infinite. SVG thus tend to take the whole space allotted to them, in this case the entire width of the post.

You can test this by fixating on something like the hand of this emoji and zooming in. You'll see that no matter how much you zoom in, no aliasing will happen and  the curves will always be perfectly smooth.

SVG are very often used in logos and icons as those are often needed in a plethora of different sizes, and the nature of the SVG makes size a non-factor.

ZyroXZ2 said:

I can only speak for myself, but it is as simple as "don't like it, don't buy it."  We know what Nintendo does.  Expecting Nintendo not to be Nintendo is foolish.  It would be like buying a truck but complaining about the flat bed in back.  

Those who expected a major mid-generation upgrade simply were setting themselves up for disappointment.  Any gamer should have known it wasn't going to happen.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I've noticed a number of people brining up the Vita... quick question, how did the Vita work out for Sony?

*again, consumers dictate price

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED