By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US rivers drying up, massive heat waves, devastating cold snaps

The US is absolutely not alone in this, all countries are now just beginning to see the challenge of climate change, this will get worse, and is almost at the point were it cant be stopped 

The US is one of the Worlds biggest contributors to World pollution, along with China, but every country regardless of size is also responsible   

Seeing the recent events of the Texas freezing, the NW massive heatwave, and Midwest devastating Drought drying up even the Colorado river, should send alarm bells off in even the most oblivious Government official  

Scientists say we are just short years away from run-away climate change, once past the tipping point no human intervention will address it, the best most World Governments say they can do is zero net carbon by 2050, long past the point were it will matter :/  

All we can do as individuals, is make sure we support/vote for Governments that take this issue very seriously and reject the rest

Last edited by Rab - on 29 June 2021

Around the Network

There is a serious challenge for people to see through in this. The challenge being “What will stop carbon emissions and deforestation?”

Is it increased taxes?
- Nice to believe since it’s the easy thing. Consider, the wealthy will not stop carbon emissions, but will gain monopoly status through being the only ones who can afford this “pollution privilege”.

Is it criminalizing excessive pollution?
- Can you through a CEO in jail for pollution… I don’t know. Would it be a deterrent or is it even possible (considering lobbyists).

Must we all stop long daily commutes?
- Obviously we all have to earn a living to survive as we inherited a huge beholding into society. We don’t cultivate our own food on our own land as nature intended.

Will anything stop deforestation?
- With the shade and oxygen of trees being rapidly replaced with tar and concrete, what can honestly be done.. it like taxes, is the price we pay for living in society.

And if that weren't enough, some city planners and house buyers are absolutely insane.

• Building cities in the middle of the desert? Check!
  • Expecting green grass everywhere despite this? Check!
  • Building over a dozen golf courses in the desert who needs tons of water? Check!
  • Consuming 3 times the average water due to all this? Check!

And of course due to all this, they are using more water than they can provide. So what's their plan? Conserve water by pricing it higher since it's among the cheapest in the country? Nope! Trying to build a pipeline from the already low Colorado river basin to leech billions of cubic meters of water from there every year that the basin already doesn't have anymore? Absolutely!

As bad as this is, in say 50-100 years time, it might be a really horrible issue for mid-western USA....
Things are worse other places.

Australia as a exsample.
Time frame there is even shorter.

The outcome? they will have to stop certain farming sectors that rely on underground water sources, as there's soon to be none.
Also I suspect water prices will rise to the point, that you dont want to "water the grass" outsides.

Food & Water prices going up, as a result of global warming is also a issue.

Only ancient aliens can save us.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

Latest developments just in 

Green New Deal activists supported by Congresswoman AOC arrested after protesting the Biden Administrations lack of policy and broken promises on the issue of Climate Change  

Not good considering the weight the US has on this issue and what our species as a whole is up against :/

We are already past the point of no return. I am glad people are optimistic in thinking that we still have a chance to fight it. Another thing we can do is invest more money into NASA and other space things. A technological solution to extreme weather might be the only chance we get. Another solution is supporting Nuclear energy. The extreme efficiency could solve everything with minimal waste.

m0ney said:

Only ancient aliens can save us.

Its not that bad... worse case, people that live there, just move (away from mid-west USA).

Prices of food & water will rise, for sure (less land to farm, higher costs of water = higher food prices).
(because droughts in certain places, that used to just get by with pumping water up from underground ect)
(and because of riseing sea levels, some places that used to be farm land, will be flooded)

Thats actually one of the worries about Climate change.
Wars faught because of water/food and mass migration.

Farsala said:

We are already past the point of no return. I am glad people are optimistic in thinking that we still have a chance to fight it. Another thing we can do is invest more money into NASA and other space things. A technological solution to extreme weather might be the only chance we get. Another solution is supporting Nuclear energy. The extreme efficiency could solve everything with minimal waste.

Yes its wrecked the system we're used to.... its too late to stop temp rises to the point where it doesnt effect us.
At this point, its about learning to live and adapt to how the world will look 100years from now.

JRPGfan said:

As bad as this is, in say 50-100 years time, it might be a really horrible issue for mid-western USA....
Things are worse other places.

Australia as a exsample.
Time frame there is even shorter.

The outcome? they will have to stop certain farming sectors that rely on underground water sources, as there's soon to be none.
Also I suspect water prices will rise to the point, that you dont want to "water the grass" outsides.

Food & Water prices going up, as a result of global warming is also a issue.

Considering the water reserve dropped from 94% to 50% within 20 years, I'm pretty sure it won't take nearly that long before things go really south for the region. Also, keep in mind that over 40 million people rely on that water supply for their tap. 40M without water sound way worse to me than some farming sectors do, though I admit I have no idea how many people and would be affected by that.

Depending on where in Australia, they could possibly get water from potential desalinization plants along the coast, while the same would be close to impossible for most of the mentioned region in the US to to the distance and topography.