By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US rivers drying up, massive heat waves, devastating cold snaps

Can anyone please tell me exactly what the science is pointing to as exactly the thing to do to stop global warming?

Around the Network
snyps said:

Can anyone please tell me exactly what the science is pointing to as exactly the thing to do to stop global warming?

Here is a video by the future "Government" explaining global warming, imagine you are this little girl in the video 

Or you could just use Google  

Last edited by Rab - on 30 June 2021

Rab said:
snyps said:

Here is a video by the future "Government" explaining global warming, imagine you are this little girl in the video 

Nice. 

I just seen folks advocate the solution is to give government more income and land, trusting that they always fix every crisis (right?). 

People usually say “trust scientists” without referencing scientific studies. I’ve heard using google is, like, being very anti science. 

Im all for solving the problem. I just don’t see a solution… if giving blank checks to the government was the ticket, I’d do it. 

snyps said:

Nice. 

I just seen folks advocate the solution is to give government more income and land, trusting that they always fix every crisis (right?). 

People usually say “trust scientists” without referencing scientific studies. I’ve heard using google is, like, being very anti science. 

Im all for solving the problem. I just don’t see a solution… if giving blank checks to the government was the ticket, I’d do it. 

Google is just a source of information and a pretty good one, how you operate in that space is another question 

Climate Change has been talked about by Scientists for Decades, you would have to be trying really hard to miss their discussions on this topic that so happens to affect the future direction of human civilization, or maybe just a denier :/ 

Last edited by Rab - on 01 July 2021

snyps said:
Rab said:

Nice. 

When 98% or more of scientist in the field all agree on something, its rational to listen to them, and not doubt them.
Esp when the remaining 2% or so (that disagree), are payed by oil companies ect.

Global warming is real.
Its time to stop kidding yourself, and this "skepticism" towards science.

And can you not sidetrack this thread, with questions of "if its real"? ect, "which scientists to believe" ect.

From World-Meteorological-organization:
(a global collection of meteorologists, and their meassurements of global mean temp since 1850)

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-release/wmo-confirms-2019-second-hottest-year-record

And yes, if you go back like 50 million+ years, it was hotter on earth than it is now, and there were no icecaps, and there was still life on earth.

The question is.... how does mandkind (as it is) do, if things keep going the way they are?

We will be worse off.

Climate change will effect area's suitable for farming (less of it)
Water sources (underground) used for argiculture, are running out places, rivers are drying out..... this will again reduce places we can farm.

The amount of places we can live, will also change.
Riseing sea levels, will put some places inhabitated right now under (sea) water.
Which will result in migration.

coastal protection, is another issue altogether... with riseing sea levels.
The smart plan ahead, and avoid forseen issues.
The comeing decade, will see a mass industry pop up around coastal protection imo.
The smarter (and wealthy) countries in risk zones, will start en mass doing big projects to protect themselves.

As for places with underground water running out, rivers drying out..
To bad, cant farm there anymore if its become unsustainable.
People will just have to adapt to riseing food prices and water prices.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 01 July 2021

Around the Network

Some more videos about the theme, focusing on the American West:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruZYgYJ0oEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLBc_PXDaOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeJ3x-ur0cY

As for mega projects

The problem the Netherlands faces is not just the sea level rising, the major rivers like the Rhine need to flow into the rising sea as well. It's either building high walls along the entire river length or 'just' a wall along the coast and pump all the river water over the wall...

JRPGfan said:
snyps said:

Nice. 

When 98% or more of scientist in the field all agree on something, its rational to listen to them, and not doubt them.
Esp when the remaining 2% or so (that disagree), are payed by oil companies ect.

Global warming is real.
Its time to stop kidding yourself, and this "skepticism" towards science.

And can you not sidetrack this thread, with questions of "if its real"? ect, "which scientists to believe" ect.

From World-Meteorological-organization:
(a global collection of meteorologists, and their meassurements of global mean temp since 1850)

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-release/wmo-confirms-2019-second-hottest-year-record

And yes, if you go back like 50 million+ years, it was hotter on earth than it is now, and there were no icecaps, and there was still life on earth.

The question is.... how does mandkind (as it is) do, if things keep going the way they are?

We will be worse off.

Climate change will effect area's suitable for farming (less of it)
Water sources (underground) used for argiculture, are running out places, rivers are drying out..... this will again reduce places we can farm.

The amount of places we can live, will also change.
Riseing sea levels, will put some places inhabitated right now under (sea) water.
Which will result in migration.

coastal protection, is another issue altogether... with riseing sea levels.
The smart plan ahead, and avoid forseen issues.
The comeing decade, will see a mass industry pop up around coastal protection imo.
The smarter (and wealthy) countries in risk zones, will start en mass doing big projects to protect themselves.

As for places with underground water running out, rivers drying out..
To bad, cant farm there anymore if its become unsustainable.
People will just have to adapt to riseing food prices and water prices.

I did not ask if it’s real or which scientists to believe. I asked how do you solve it. The only answer I’ve heard is vote for any politician who says the right things. Which always works perfect, so… problem solved. 

snyps said:

I did not ask if it’s real or which scientists to believe. I asked how do you solve it. The only answer I’ve heard is vote for any politician who says the right things. Which always works perfect, so… problem solved. 

The entire planet needs to shift to a green economy, green transportation. - Or at-least carbon neutral bio-fuel or hydrogen.
We need to invest in carbon capture technologies (I.E. Micro-algae)... And we need to plant forests to absorb CO2. (Like what China is doing.)

The conspiracy nut jobs in the conservative part of society tend to be holding us back from many of these.. But it's happening, albeit slowly.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Jumpin said:
snyps said:

There is a serious challenge for people to see through in this. The challenge being “What will stop carbon emissions and deforestation?â€Â

Is it increased taxes?
- Nice to believe since it’s the easy thing. Consider, the wealthy will not stop carbon emissions, but will gain monopoly status through being the only ones who can afford this “pollution privilegeâ€Â.

Is it criminalizing excessive pollution?
- Can you through a CEO in jail for pollution… I don’t know. Would it be a deterrent or is it even possible (considering lobbyists).

Must we all stop long daily commutes?
- Obviously we all have to earn a living to survive as we inherited a huge beholding into society. We don’t cultivate our own food on our own land as nature intended.

Will anything stop deforestation?
- With the shade and oxygen of trees being rapidly replaced with tar and concrete, what can honestly be done.. it like taxes, is the price we pay for living in society.

1. Carbon taxation isn't going to work in itself without incentives to switch to energy efficient technology. If the US isn't already doing this, they should be, other countries have been doing this for quite some time. As well, carbon tax funds can be returned to the population, so the poor who don't consume much energy anyway actually benefit from it, while the wealthy pay into the fund. The US has been talking about UBI, a stiff carbon tax is a good way to fund it. Other things the US needs to do is end incentives for burning fuels, and increase incentives for non-pollution emissions. Nuclear power is one method for certain locations, but technology in other sectors is rapidly increasing, and even some third world countries have more sophisticated green energy generations than the US, which is kind of sad.

But I'm in favour of a carbon tax, because even if we do get the world on 100% green energy, many industrial processes still use a tremendous volume of fossil fuels. While things are improving drastically, countries like China and the US don't seem to want to budge on updating their manufacturing processes - they have to.

2. Aren't some kinds of pollution already a criminal offense? This isn't particularly a stretch.

3. Most countries have been working on this problem for decades by heavily increasing mass transit, electric vehicles, and increasing the amount of work from home opportunities - I've been working primarily from home for years now.

4. Part of the problem is the rapid growth in beef demand over the last century in certain countries. Most of the deforestation is to support this industry. Then there's this even stupider market "grass fed beef" that is even worse than the already highly destructive than other cow-based markets. Levy heavy taxes against beef, and tank the market, fund government buybacks of land. Fisheries is such an easy solution that it's hard not to facepalm at the brain dead approach of overfishing the entire world that civilization has taken. It's just a matter of protecting most of the oceans, and then fishing the spillover in much smaller regions. The ideology of neoliberal deregulation is like brain damage on civilization, and cancer on the world as a whole.

I want to say this is a well educated post. Thank you for offering up solutions. 

1. I agree that green energy is a proper goal. I won’t quibble on nuclear waste, but I do know some gets stored somewhere in Nevada. The fact is all oil is purchased with American dollar; America and western culture have an interest in carbon emissions. The reason English language is dominant in the world, is because oil is only purchased with dollars. If we give up oil, we give up world dominance. Which I’m fine 100% with, but the feds aren’t. Thus, a switch to green energy will take a back seat, sadly. 

2. It’s very difficult to corner a billionaire. They cover their tracks, buy the right people, and outlast expensive court dealings. I know a few who’ve been caught polluting waters, but none who polluted air. 

3. I agree zoom has stopped a lot of pollution. Electric vehicles will hopefully get cheaper and truly make an impact in a few years. Still, you can see, the freeways are only getting more congested; we are an undeniable source of pollution. Most of us are, essentially, too addicted to oil to take responsibility. 

4. I haven’t seen the same thing as you about beef industry causing deforestation. I was thinking about the roads, parking lots, neighborhoods, and commercial centers. I’ve only lived in metropolis’s, and their suburbs spread! I’m sure all of many factors combine to make mass deforestation. I personally like organic meats because I want the animals to have a decent life, not a caged/tortured life. Again, it’s hard for me to comment. Don’t think the government ownership of land is a solution. I am as concerned as you about the fish in the ocean. I know there are sea animals without food because humans harvest too much.