By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best experimental Nintendo project on Switch?

I think the best is...

LABO 7 14.00%

Ring Fit Adventure 32 64.00%

Mario Kart Live 2 4.00%

Game Builder Garage 9 18.00%

Total:50

Personally I gotta give it to Mario Kart Live.

It's core concept is just such a cool idea, combining AR camera tech with a real life remote controlled car, and while its core gameplay may not rise to the level of the very best dedicated series entries like Mario Kart 8, it still retains the same frenetic fun factor that makes the franchise so awesome.

I really enjoyed my time with it.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 June 2021

Around the Network

I would say ring fit is the best, but that's mainly because it's one that would actually appeal to me. Haven't played Garage yet, and MK Live and Labo are clearly geared towards younger people with more spacious living quarters.

JWeinCom said:

I would say ring fit is the best, but that's mainly because it's one that would actually appeal to me. Haven't played Garage yet, and MK Live and Labo are clearly geared towards younger people with more spacious living quarters.

You'd be surprised what you can do with relatively little space, my brother and I share a two person apartment and we were able to make some good workable tracks in MK Live.

curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

You'd be surprised what you can do with relatively little space, my brother and I share a two person apartment and we were able to make some good workable tracks in MK Live.

Maybe. It seems like something I would love when I was younger or if I had a kid now, but I feel like it's kind of along the same lines as Labo. The concept seemed so creative that I was taken in and I bought it, but while I still think it's ingenious, just not for me at this point. Of course, if you're enjoying it, then more power to you. 

I voted Game Builder Garage i don't have but i lack the talent to make something good from it.

Around the Network

I’m going with Ring Fit Adventure in turning a fitness ring into a literal interface for all the mechanics of RPGs, and becoming one of the most commercially successful in history… It’s already surpassed the top Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy releases… Yes, it passed Final Fantasy 7 on PSX.

I admit, I haven’t played the others, but I’m less intrigued by their concepts.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

LABO and Mario Kart Live are clearly the most interesting and experimental and unique of the games. Though both far more niche, as both are basically for young kids and tinkerers.

Ring Fit is still experimental because fitness games on video game systems are still pretty rare, but with the huge success of Wii Fit it wasn't a total shot in the dark experiment, and obviously will end up achieving close to the same level of success as Wii Fit, though it remains to be seen if Nintendo will take advantage of the opportunity to provide the many millions of people who own a Ring Fit with more games to play with it, like the providing a second game for those with the Wii Fit balance board. Also it'd be pretty epic if there was a two player mode and you could buy a second ring.

Garage Builder is pretty unique, but it is basically a generalized Mario Maker, or a less advanced Dreams. Still a rare game concept and experimental, and looks very cool, though without a way to browse games built by others it is hampered for no reason - perhaps an update will provide this crucial feature.

I think all four of the games are successes. I've only played Ring Fit which is pretty dang fun. Might get Garage Builder at some point. I can imagine LABO can be pretty fun for a bit for kids and MKLive as well. Overall I'd give best to Ring Fit or Garage Builder but LABO and MKLive are definitely the most interesting experimental concepts.

I guess LABO, in the sense that is the most experimental of the 4 options, Ring Fit is just another fitness game, but with more flavor than something like Wii Fit, Game Builder Garage is another title along the lines of Mario Maker, and WarioWare DIY. Live Circuit is an AR MK game.

My favorite of the bunch is Ring Fit, but I wouldn't call it experimental.

Chicho said:

How is ring fit experimental? There already are fitness games on switch and the Wii U.

Yeah, but ring fit actually is an RPG (with an actual story, boss fights and everything) with fitness mechanics. That seems novel enough to me.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

While LABO, Ring Fit, and Game Builder Garage weren't really for me, I still kinda like that Nintendo makes one of these side projects about once per year; they're not really costly investments so they don't really take away from the company's 'core' output and every now and then one of them pays off big time.