By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch owners: how many of you would be buying an upgraded NS?

Would you buy a

Yes, even though my Switch still works fine 40 45.98%

Yes, I'm someone who woul... 8 9.20%

Yes, because my machine i... 2 2.30%

No, I'll stick with the OG version 15 17.24%

No, I have no interest in... 1 1.15%

Maybe, I'll have to know ... 21 24.14%

Total:87

I will get one, but keep my Original Launch Day Model Switch for Nostalgia.

Around the Network

With 59 votes so far, the "nos" and "maybes" together are getting very close to all the "yes" answers.

Jumpin said:

It all depends.

Switch 2 - Yes. I’d buy into the next chapter of the Switch without hesitation.
Switch+/newSwitch/Switch Pro/Switch Pron - No. Seems utterly pointless to buy a console at this point that doesn’t have much of a future.

I think the ideal next Switch is one that maintains the momentum of the original by supporting all Switch 1 software but, rather than being a hard generational cutoff, has a transitional period where the vast majority of new software functions on both consoles. So no differentiation between Switch 1/2 software, it’s just Switch software that functions on low settings with Switch 1 and high settings on Switch 2. This is typically how the PC, Mac, iOS, and Android markets have worked for decades.

How does the transitional period work? Typically there will be tiers of devices that have to be supported with justifications required for exemption - for example, if Switch 2 is powerful enough for FF7 Remake or a new/er GTA title, but there’s no chance of a low end version, then a game of that tier would be exempt. But any game that’s feasible on Switch 1 will be rehired to support it. EShop and Retail versions of games will do what PC games have done for decades and list the minimum requirements on the box/page - “Requires Switch 2” simple enough, simpler than PC/Mac. As the years move on, requirements relax, and are dropped, so that support for Switch 1 is now completely optional. In 2033 the only new game to support Switch 1 will be Just Dance 2034, the graphics will still look about the same, except in 3D projected 160K virtual-TV.

Such a transition might take a while with the vanilla model selling the way it is. How could they come up with a Switch 2 while not cannibalizing the older system's sales is what gets me wandering.

I might it would depend on how big of a leap the graphics would be. I did upgrade the ps4 to the pro when it came out for the 4k, and I might do the same for the Switch.

farlaff said:
Jumpin said:

It all depends.

Switch 2 - Yes. I’d buy into the next chapter of the Switch without hesitation.
Switch+/newSwitch/Switch Pro/Switch Pron - No. Seems utterly pointless to buy a console at this point that doesn’t have much of a future.

I think the ideal next Switch is one that maintains the momentum of the original by supporting all Switch 1 software but, rather than being a hard generational cutoff, has a transitional period where the vast majority of new software functions on both consoles. So no differentiation between Switch 1/2 software, it’s just Switch software that functions on low settings with Switch 1 and high settings on Switch 2. This is typically how the PC, Mac, iOS, and Android markets have worked for decades.

How does the transitional period work? Typically there will be tiers of devices that have to be supported with justifications required for exemption - for example, if Switch 2 is powerful enough for FF7 Remake or a new/er GTA title, but there’s no chance of a low end version, then a game of that tier would be exempt. But any game that’s feasible on Switch 1 will be rehired to support it. EShop and Retail versions of games will do what PC games have done for decades and list the minimum requirements on the box/page - “Requires Switch 2â€Â simple enough, simpler than PC/Mac. As the years move on, requirements relax, and are dropped, so that support for Switch 1 is now completely optional. In 2033 the only new game to support Switch 1 will be Just Dance 2034, the graphics will still look about the same, except in 3D projected 160K virtual-TV.

Such a transition might take a while with the vanilla model selling the way it is. How could they come up with a Switch 2 while not cannibalizing the older system's sales is what gets me wandering.

Honestly, and you have permission for thinking me crazy, I think the ideal situation would be to keep Switch 1 supported all the way through until Switch 3, and maintain a sort of economy vs high-end tier as often as possible. Having those two tiers - economy vs pricy - will maximize the number of customers and hardware income levels. That way newer people and people who need the top tier console will shell out a couple hundred or two-fifty extra will bankroll Nintendo while the lower tier continues to sell like crack-cocaine expanding the userbase.

The beauty of duel-support is cannibalization becomes a non-issue, because both Switch 1 and Switch 2 sales = Switch sales.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

MY Switch is from Launch so I need a new reason to get a new Switch so I can start playing 2 player Pac Man VS.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

I would get it day 1 personally. My launch Switch has served me well, and even the joycons it came with are drift free. But I would love a performance boost.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

JimmyFantasy said:

I, for sure. My Switch is almost destroyed :(

How did you manage to do that?!?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
JimmyFantasy said:

I, for sure. My Switch is almost destroyed :(

How did you manage to do that?!?

Maybe I exaggerated a bit since at the moment is still working in some way but..

Card reader is not working anymore so I cannot play any cart-based game I own or planned to buy. Also, I cannot connect to eShop in any way (tried with different users and several WiFi access-points) and so I'm unable to download digital games. Lastly, sometimes I find the system frozen after resuming a game from the dock.

It's a March 2017 Switch, ok, but I always handled it carefully, it never fallen to the ground nor it never hit on anything. Aesthetically it's in perfect condition, it stayed at home for the 90% of the time. 

Last month I contacted the repairing center available in my country but they requested me 150€ to repair the console XD
I said them "hey, with another 50€ I could buy a new one, are you kidding me?"

.. and now I'm stuck, can only play digital games already installed to the system.
For this reason I'm waiting to see if a Pro is real or not before buying a new one. 

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 24 June 2021

Most of the best FPS and resolution upgrades would be for third-party games. I have a PS4 Pro, so that would be useless to me.

The Pro would kind of have to be like the Game Boy Color. A platform that's included in the sales figures of the older model, and a lot of new features and a lot of unique software (namely first-party). If it's more like the DSi or New 3DS, I have little interest.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima