By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch owners: how many of you would be buying an upgraded NS?

Would you buy a

Yes, even though my Switch still works fine 40 45.98%

Yes, I'm someone who woul... 8 9.20%

Yes, because my machine i... 2 2.30%

No, I'll stick with the OG version 15 17.24%

No, I have no interest in... 1 1.15%

Maybe, I'll have to know ... 21 24.14%

Total:87

I, for sure. My Switch is almost destroyed :(

Around the Network

Maybe. Depends on price, what sort of boost it gives to games, other features. Don't care about 4k so that's a non-feature for me. What appeals to me is bigger better screen, more battery, bluetooth, better performance in games (well at least the few that need it), more storage, stronger "rails" between tablet and joycons since I have been having disconnect problems with those. Possibility of a few high-end 3rd party multiplat games that are exclusive to the premium model due to better specs.

If the Switch is gonna be my game system for the next 5,6,7 years then I wouldn't mind upgrading in the next couple years depending on the things mentioned above, but I wouldn't pay more than $300 for it.

Slownenberg said:

If the Switch is gonna be my game system for the next 5,6,7 years then I wouldn't mind upgrading in the next couple years depending on the things mentioned above, but I wouldn't pay more than $300 for it.

Yeah, I don't think Nintendo is going that pricing route, at least for the current platform. I firmly believe that a "Switch Pro" would get the 300 dollar pricing while giving the opportunity for a tag reduction on the vanilla model. But selling the way it is currently, I don't really know.

I would buy a console version with a working controller in a heartbeat. No worry about having to charge the thing, or look for it after the kids played with it, or try to find the joycon thingie. And since the thing is currently used all over the place, the tiny little cartridge games are also all over the house....

Console version PLEASE. I'll play $500 for one with a 500 GB SSD in it. I have no interest in another hybrid pro whatever.

I already have the OG Switch and 2 Switch Lites so I'm good......

But.....if the gist of the upgrade Switch really about the new dock and can be bought separately then sure I'll buy the upgraded dock.

Around the Network

Depends on the upgrade and the price.

Yes, but only if it noticeably makes a positive difference on quality and performance. I stopped playing Age of Calamity because the resolution and especially the frame rate wasn't acceptable for me.

I'm somewhat waiting for it to be honest. Lately, my Switch has had some problems with overheating.

If the specs are attractive, then maybe I buy it next year instead of a PS5

But all rumours are letting me underwhelmed. I don't care for resolution let alone resolution only on docked mode thanks to some DLSS algorithm

So far I'm leaning 70% towards No 30% towards Yes

It all depends.

Switch 2 - Yes. I’d buy into the next chapter of the Switch without hesitation.
Switch+/newSwitch/Switch Pro/Switch Pron - No. Seems utterly pointless to buy a console at this point that doesn’t have much of a future.

I think the ideal next Switch is one that maintains the momentum of the original by supporting all Switch 1 software but, rather than being a hard generational cutoff, has a transitional period where the vast majority of new software functions on both consoles. So no differentiation between Switch 1/2 software, it’s just Switch software that functions on low settings with Switch 1 and high settings on Switch 2. This is typically how the PC, Mac, iOS, and Android markets have worked for decades.

How does the transitional period work? Typically there will be tiers of devices that have to be supported with justifications required for exemption - for example, if Switch 2 is powerful enough for FF7 Remake or a new/er GTA title, but there’s no chance of a low end version, then a game of that tier would be exempt. But any game that’s feasible on Switch 1 will be rehired to support it. EShop and Retail versions of games will do what PC games have done for decades and list the minimum requirements on the box/page - “Requires Switch 2” simple enough, simpler than PC/Mac. As the years move on, requirements relax, and are dropped, so that support for Switch 1 is now completely optional. In 2033 the only new game to support Switch 1 will be Just Dance 2034, the graphics will still look about the same, except in 3D projected 160K virtual-TV.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.