By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Just 16 minutes of the Xbox show was gameplay from upcoming exclusives + 10 minutes of CGI

JRPGfan said:
smroadkill15 said:

Umm the multiplayer they showed was 90% gameplay. Not always from the players perspective, but absolutely in-game. The only part that wasn't was when the spartan women was talk to the soldiers for maybe 10 seconds of it. They are doing a multiplayer overview today so I'm sure we will see more gameplay or even a full match. 

Didnt it say "in-engine" ? ei. not even taken from the actual game? or running on console hardware?

Its made to look like its from the game, and how gameplay multiplayer would or *could* look, but its not.
No one played that, recorded it, and then edited it to look like that.

Its like makeing a movie instead... ei. CGI... of multiplayer.

Why would they make a CGI trailer for multiplayer when they literally showed gameplay in their video they posted today? Your questioning of it being gameplay just makes me think you don't know what Halo gameplay looks like. I've been playing Halo for 20 years. I know gameplay when I see it. 

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Chris Hu said:

Flight Simulator has always been a Microsoft IP the first game was released in November of 1982 that is long time before Sony even tried thinking about getting into video games and even before the NES was released in Japan.

Lol, what does that have to do with that conversation? No one said the IP wasn't owned by MS. The point was both that game and AoE4 were farmed out to 3rd parties, not by developed internal studios, since smroadkill15 tried to use those games to argue their internal studios we're not mismanaged.

smroadkill15 said:

You think them showing the players vs players was cutscenes? Give me a break. How about watch the multiplayer overview that released today. It looks exactly the same and has gameplay. Halo Infinite | Multiplayer Overview - YouTube

You said, MS poorly manages their franchises besides Forza. Is Age of Empires and Flight Sim not their franchises? MS still has to work with these 3rd party developers just like if they were 1st party because it is their IP's afterall. Psychonauts 2 was delayed so they could add more content to the game and keep polishing it, now we are going to be getting a better game because of it. I would say that was a good call my MS management. 

In the actual E3 video, yes it was. That's why MS themselves labeled it as in-game. It's a little smoother and more polished than the vid you linked. Which is probably why they used it.

I said Xbox, as in it's studios are mismanaged. Why are these games being farmed out? Why aren't Xbox's internal studios handlling them? Even before the aquisition of Bethesda, they had just as many as Sony.  Yet, those games and something like Killer Instinct on the XBO was developed by 3rd parties.

If you really want to talk about mismanaged studios no Microsoft first or second party studio is as badly mismanaged as Sony's first party studio Polyphony Digital you have constant delays missing features that where promised etc. etc.  and all that already started on the PS2 with GT4.

Convincingly enough, this was one of their better showcase with a better pacing showcasing a slew of interesting and not-so interesting games overall. They managed to vary their gameplay showcases with those CGI trailers/in-engine segments better than they usually do.

Yet, most of their new exclusives here had only brief showcase with a logo or an idea put into a CGI trailer (Hello Red Fall, Contraband, Outer Worlds 2, Starfield !)

This kinda undermines part of the effort they had done this time. Also, this conference was in need of a BIG WOW moment that simply never happened.

A good conference notheworthy of a few elements but most of it will fade as time goes on.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Have any game Xbox series only? Do all have Pc counterparts launch?

I liked the event, but I don't buy a videogame if a can play all games on PC.

Better than Ubisoft ( 2 games good) and Square( nothing there to me)

Clearly Microsoft needs to purchase and build more studios if people are still criticizing their first party showing. Haha

Didn't mind it, was definitely a big step up over past years.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

So we've gone from "Xbox has no games" to "Xbox has too many games".

I agree that announcing a game too early can backfire if it ends up taking too long to come out. But that depends on why it took so long to come out. Crackdown 3, for example, I can excuse being revealed so early because it went through legitimate development hell. Everwild, on the other hand, was shown too early before they had much of a concept let alone a game, and now has supposedly been rebooted with a new creative lead and is now 2-3 years off.

HOWEVER, this is E3. It's basically the Comic-Con of video games. Yes, show us as many games as humanly possible. Showing more of fewer games? No thanks. Literally all of these games will be shown in deeper detail at further events. I'm perfectly content with getting just a taste in a showcase about what games are coming up.

Before this, we had no idea Redfall existed. Now we do. We got confirmation that Outer Worlds 2 is coming. We got gameplay of Horizon 5 and a release this year. We know a new Plague is coming. I don't need to see gameplay on any of these to be excited or know they are good.

Just bizarre that MS has a bitchin showcase chock full of games and somehow on teh Chartz is still a bad thing, lol.

Mar1217 said:

Convincingly enough, this was one of their better showcase with a better pacing showcasing a slew of interesting and not-so interesting games overall. They managed to vary their gameplay showcases with those CGI trailers/in-engine segments better than they usually do.

Yet, most of their new exclusives here had only brief showcase with a logo or an idea put into a CGI trailer (Hello Red Fall, Contraband, Outer Worlds 2, Starfield !)

This kinda undermines part of the effort they had done this time. Also, this conference was in need of a BIG WOW moment that simply never happened.

A good conference notheworthy of a few elements but most of it will fade as time goes on.

That is my biggest issue as well. They had a good balance of gameplay/CGI overall, but every new 1st part game they showed besides Forza lacked gameplay. It's cool they announced some new games, but it's hard to get excited for any of them. 

Mummelmann said:

This is the norm now at every show, with so much focus on CGI showings. I'm often left wondering what the basic concept of an announced title is after watching the first trailer, which makes the trailer sort of worthless to me.

Pretty much. The only ones I see showing actual full on gameplay these days within their trailers, are indie devs, but even then I've seen some indies recently following the not so great trend of "announcement trailers", where you only see a logo, no Alpha gameplay at all even. 

flint said:

What we seem to be seeing is a combination of the collective corner both Sony and Microsoft have pushed themselves into; namely announcing games too soon, and then having to repeat that cycle to avoid having nothing to announce at the next major showcase. 

I'm curious what makes you think Sony are stuck in this situation now? The last couple of years has shown that they have largely tried to avoid announcing too early (not that they have eliminated it completely). Besides Horizon and GT7 (1 year since announcement) and GoW2 (9 months ago), their future slate is unknown. 

eva01beserk said:
LurkerJ said:

The outer world 2 is a parody of MS recent conferences; especially the 2020 conference. They went as far as showing a concept of a game that hasn't been developed yet (everwild); a CGI fest isn't a good show.

I would add this event as well. That start and finish of the event pure cgi wad just sad. 

I didn't want to be a downer; but I overall agree. 

Forza single handedly saved the show. It's what NFS underground should've been if the franchise was maintained properly. It's crazy how SONY let Drive Club go and not found a replacement for them yet; they are one soldier down with Forza Horizon looking that fantastic.