By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Question to former or current PS2 owners.

Which applies to you?

Owned a PS2 that I never ... 39 63.93%

Owned a PS2 that I replac... 22 36.07%

Total:61
mjk45 said:
EricHiggin said:

My fat PS2 laser burned out, mostly because it was mod chipped, plus a ton of play time between my bro and I. It lasted pretty long I'd say in retrospect. We ended up getting a PS2 slim that Xmas because the price wasn't much different than the cost of a new laser and repair fee back then. 

Earlier in 2019 I bought a new legit SNY replacement laser on Amazon or eBay and installed it myself. It was cheap, like $10 or something like that. I just watched 1 YouTube repair tutorial and that's all I needed.

Tearing down a PS2 is pretty easy, especially for the laser because once the outer casing is off, you get immediate access to the disc drive. All I had to do extra was adjust the laser height slightly, which is also no problem, and it worked great. (It's not a bad idea to clean the laser slider tracks and grease them with some new silicone or lithium lube while you're at it for good measure.) 

The fat PS2 works like new again, and now you can buy shipping boxes full of games for dirt cheap! I actually prefer it slightly now over the slim.

If you're handy at all, it's totally doable. 

I have a slim PAL PS2 and a fat NTSC that I bought from the US about 6 years ago for PS1 and PS2 games that didn't get a PAL release, the slim's fine but the fat NTSC model has a stuck drive tray, I hadn't used it for around 2 years and starting it up there was a lot of shuddering as the tray tried to open , and being me I naturally forced the issue and the result was the front fell off . now if I aid it with a small tug I can get it to open halfway before it sticks , so should I se about a  local repair and the associated costs or order a new disk tray and replace it my self ? 

Don't worry I put my elite youtube step by step copying skills to good use and now it' s fixed, but I could do with your help with what to do with the twelve screws and 3 plastic cogs left over .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
mjk45 said:

I have a slim PAL PS2 and a fat NTSC that I bought from the US about 6 years ago for PS1 and PS2 games that didn't get a PAL release, the slim's fine but the fat NTSC model has a stuck drive tray, I hadn't used it for around 2 years and starting it up there was a lot of shuddering as the tray tried to open , and being me I naturally forced the issue and the result was the front fell off . now if I aid it with a small tug I can get it to open halfway before it sticks , so should I se about a  local repair and the associated costs or order a new disk tray and replace it my self ? 

Don't worry I put my elite youtube step by step copying skills to good use and now it' s fixed, but I could do with your help with what to do with the twelve screws and 3 plastic cogs left over .

Snooze I lose I guess. Ya just a new tray was highly unlikely to fix anything. If the tray isn't opening then there's something jammed in there that shouldn't be, or loose/broken gears. I'd assume the easiest route would be to replace the entire disc drive instead of replacing any broken parts. Would be higher cost but also a much quicker and easier swap out.

Not sure whether to congratulate you or not. Dunno how it's working with so much out of place yet. Screws are one thing but leaving gears out is another. Unless they're the broken ones you replaced. Though if it ain't broke anymore, don't fix it, lol. 

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 29 July 2021

Been over a decade since I last used my PS2. I didn't replace it ever. It was working until I got my PS3 and stopped using the PS2. Sure sometimes it didn't work right away and needed to reboot the console. But I don't remember if it was this specific error (although I think it was).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I don't think I ever had a problem with the PS2 disc drive. PS1 and Xbox 360 are the only consoles I ever had disc drive issues (and multiple consoles at that)

I still have my PS2. It started to get disk read errors during 2006, mostly for DVDs, but for some games too,
I didn't pick up a new PS2 because I got myself a PS3 instead.

Around the Network

Still on my fat PS2, and no problems whatsoever yet

Had a PS2 slim from the get go, no dramas.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

EricHiggin said:
mjk45 said:

Snooze I lose I guess. Ya just a new tray was highly unlikely to fix anything. If the tray isn't opening then there's something jammed in there that shouldn't be, or loose/broken gears. I'd assume the easiest route would be to replace the entire disc drive instead of replacing any broken parts. Would be higher cost but also a much quicker and easier swap out.

Not sure whether to congratulate you or not. Dunno how it's working with so much out of place yet. Screws are one thing but leaving gears out is another. Unless they're the broken ones you replaced. Though if it ain't broke anymore, don't fix it, lol. 

the leftover pieces was only me having fun, it turned out to be the white slide at the front that moves left to right it has a knob that sits in a slot under the tray and can come out it seems to be common since the two videos i looked at with tray problems it turned out to be that problem

mjk45 said:
EricHiggin said:

the leftover pieces was only me having fun, it turned out to be the white slide at the front that moves left to right it has a knob that sits in a slot under the tray and can come out it seems to be common since the two videos i looked at with tray problems it turned out to be that problem

Ah. Ya I remember reading about that when I was researching what was likely wrong with mine. Though there they said it was more rare and tended to happen if you were often enough physically pushing the tray back in too hard/far. Not sure how true that is. 

Are you a tray pusher by chance? lol. I wasn't but my bro would when he was over excited or in a rush to game and I'd always give him heck about it if I caught it. Never had tray problems luckily. 

Either way good to hear you gotter all fixed up. Was worried I might have to, console you, over all the extra leftover parts. Congrats on a mission accomplished. Now, where's the trophy?... 

EricHiggin said:
mjk45 said:

Ah. Ya I remember reading about that when I was researching what was likely wrong with mine. Though there they said it was more rare and tended to happen if you were often enough physically pushing the tray back in too hard/far. Not sure how true that is. 

Are you a tray pusher by chance? lol. I wasn't but my bro would when he was over excited or in a rush to game and I'd always give him heck about it if I caught it. Never had tray problems luckily. 

Either way good to hear you gotter all fixed up. Was worried I might have to, console you, over all the extra leftover parts. Congrats on a mission accomplished. Now, where's the trophy?... 

Puns should only be used after you have run out of dad jokes, about the tray pushing no but I bought it second hand many years ago so it might have been owned by an inveterate tray pusher.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 31 July 2021