By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Question to former or current PS2 owners.

Which applies to you?

Owned a PS2 that I never ... 39 63.93%

Owned a PS2 that I replac... 22 36.07%

Total:61

I had a launch day ps2 back when u was living In Malaysia. It came with a chip to play pirated games.. Never had any issues of disc read error that I needed to replace it. If it didn't read, it was due to bad batch of fake games.

Around the Network

Have a slim PS2, it can't read discs for shit, except when it sometimes does. Never got it replaced though.

Bought one on Ebay, and its been perfectly fine. I sometimes get disc read errors on PS1 games, but rarely on PS2 games. Have much more trouble with Gamecube games.

mZuzek said:

Have a slim PS2, it can't read discs for shit, except when it sometimes does. Never got it replaced though.

Does it not recognize them? Like the disc is not even spinning? If so there is a insanely easy fix. It's one of the easiest systems to take apart. Tightened 1-2 screws on the inside and it fixes it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Between my Dad and I we went through 7 PS2s...

Disc read errors were insanely common! Especially annoying were when they'd just refuse to read blue discs. One of my favourite games was on a blue disc and became unplayable sometimes even though the PS2 would play any of the silver disc games fine still.

Around the Network

Pretty sure my PS2 units still work fine. I have a fat and slim. However, I never used them that much.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Leynos said:
mZuzek said:

Does it not recognize them? Like the disc is not even spinning? If so there is a insanely easy fix. It's one of the easiest systems to take apart. Tightened 1-2 screws on the inside and it fixes it.

I mean... I don't really care? Most of my favorite PS2 games are playable elsewhere anyways, and my PS2 controllers are in pretty rough shape these days. Plus, PS2 image quality looks hideous on modern TVs without a component cable, which I don't have.

It started getting really bad at just around the time we got an Xbox 360 back then. Think it still works decently enough if you're patient with it, but just not worth the effort anymore for me.

My phat PS2 never had a problem despite the abuse it went through.

My childhood PS2 fat still runs without any hiccups whatsoever.

I went through 3 PS2s due to disk read errors. For a while, I was able to prolong the life of the consoles by opening and cleaning them, but overtime it got to where that did not work.

My two phat PS2s had the biggest problem with disk read errors, and was a wide spread issue (even more than RRoD). Being that it happened years after the console was bought and the net was still a baby, people seemed less concerned about it as an overall issue. In my experience however, it was a major issue. And yes, I baby my electronics so neglect was not a factor.

I believe the slim model did not see this problem near as much, if at all however. Mine never had issues, but by then I was moved on to PS3.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261