By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy series appreciation thread

Tagged games:

Are you hyped for Final Fantasy XVI

Yes 19 46.34%

Maybe 9 21.95%

No 13 31.71%

Total:41

I discovered the Final Fantasy series when I was around 14 years old, with the SNES games. My favorite title is probably Final Fantasy IV, but I had a lot of fun with V and VI too.

Long story short, I played almost every mainline game, and I can say that this is a franchise where no title looks bad to me (I had trouble with FF2 gameplay, but the story was a huge improvement over FF1). In fact, I'm playing Final Fantasy XIII (One of the few I haven't played before) and I'm loving it!

The series went from top-down 8-bit JRPG to cinematic experiences in about 35 years of history.

Since I'm in the mood to talk about the series (Playing FF13 and in the hype train for FF16), I decided to create this topic so we can discuss our experiences with games from the franchise.

Talk about your favorite titles, your experiences, memorable moments, etc.

Please, that goes without talking, but avoid bashing other people's opinions.

Around the Network

Ah, Final Fantasy will always have a special place in my heart. I love the entire series very much and have played all mainline games except XI, XIV and XV so far as well as a lot of spin-offs like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles The Crystal Bearers.

Like you said, every game has so many good things going for, they all are very great games. I love how they all feel so polished and that everything from battle design to world theming to menu management to the soundtracks fit together so nicely. It just feels very good to play any FF game.

I could talk about this topic for days. I was even running a german FF wiki for a couple of years. My favorite games are VI, VII and XII.

I've played 7-15 except 11. My favourite is 7 and least favourite would be 12. It's the only one I didn't finish

The fact almost every mainline entry has a distinct story, worldbulding and character makes FF a very unique experience 

In a market where you have mascots getting games every year it's refreshing to play a games that always feels like something new 

FF as a series is one of the best things in gaming history 

I'm not really hyped for FF XVI still

Contrary to what majority of the fandom think I actually like Ff V gameplay, even though the fights can very bloated with information. VII remake gameplay is also good

I also loved the contemporary setting of FF XV, it's something that we never had before. It's not like the game is perfect, I honestly find it one of the weakest entries, but still a great game for me 

So if elements everybody complains in recent games are not my concern for FF XVI why am I not hyped for FF XVI?

I think regardless of whether I liked FF 13/15 or not, I can't disagree they were some levels behind what the series used to be. FF was THE best franchise in the industry. Nowadays is a franchise they release good games and that's about it

I also need each FF game to be unique in concept, and from the trailers I'm watching this new FF is looking like any RPG an western studio can make. When I see this hyper realistic medieval setting I can't help but yawn. It's not like I hate European history, but I'm overloaded with books, series, movies and games based on european medieval world, I don't need FF to be another one 

To finish, maybe I'm just not an hype-person. This FF XVI looking both graphically and gameplay-wise a boring western action adventure game is not helping me, as I have no interest in this kind of game, heck if it wasn't the FF brand fixed on the trailer I wouldn't even consider playing it

My guts are telling me I will just skip this one unless the reviews are overwhelmingly positive 

My first FF rpg was Ff7 and I remembered me and my next neighbour always competed as to who will finish the game first. We often helped each other out with secrets of the games that we have discovered or did research.  Eg was finding the Wmateria that allowed u to duplicate item until u get 99 of everything. That made getting gold chocobo so much quicker! Oh how to time ur mimic after knights of the round has been played so it keeps going in a infinite loop!.

From there it involved into ff8. I remembered living the intro and how cgi scenes and music at the start, makes u hyped up fot  the game. Also remembered how I love the flashbacks and how they linked.. Remembered fighting cerebus on my first go. I was probably 10. That was hard for me at the time. I did replay the game when u was in my early 20s and it was so much easier haha. 

Yea with each final fantasy game, I remembered loving the story and the music. The music really drew u in and it was so relaxing to hear while playing. Remembered downloading pages of faqs to try and get max stats and weapons for each series lol.

It was what got me into playing jrpgs.. Made me fall in love with jprgs that came after. 

In saying that, I hope one day they remake xenogears. To this day I have played all FF games except for ffxi

Around the Network

Final Fantasy has been my favourite video game series for around 20 years now. Final Fantasy IX is my all-time favourite game in general, and I've played every single mainline game in the series at least once, with the exception of FFII (my save file was corrupted near the end of the game, and I've never gotten around to replaying it), FFXI and FF XIV. I've also played through a lot of the spin-offs and sequels, including games like Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, World of Final Fantasy and Mystic Quest.

Generally speaking, I like every one of the FF games I've played, at least to some extent. I can't claim that they are all genuinely great, or even good games, but I have a soft spot for most of them. Even at their worst, they always have some elements that are genuinely excellent, like the music, or the battle system.

I'm very much looking forward to FF XVI. I thought XV was very good, and a nice return to form after XIII was such a disjointed mess, if not quite on the level of the best games in the series, and the FFVII Remake was genuinely great, and considering that the team working on XVI consists largely of the people who've made XIV such a hugely successful and beloved game since its disastrous initial release, I'm quite optimistic for XVI at the moment.

So, for those who have played it: what are your favorite job classes in the very first instalment? How do you set up your party?

I like to go with a Fighter, a second Fighter or a Monk (aka Black Belt), a White Mage and a Black Mage. Pretty balanced as i like to use magic quite often but also need a good physical offense. The Thief is the worst, I always avoid it, even though he upgrades to become a Ninja later on but that one isn't much better either. And I never use Red Mages because in the late game they become very bland.

GoOnKid said:

So, for those who have played it: what are your favorite job classes in the very first instalment? How do you set up your party?

I like to go with a Fighter, a second Fighter or a Monk (aka Black Belt), a White Mage and a Black Mage. Pretty balanced as i like to use magic quite often but also need a good physical offense. The Thief is the worst, I always avoid it, even though he upgrades to become a Ninja later on but that one isn't much better either. And I never use Red Mages because in the late game they become very bland.

In Final Fantasy III, I used to have two fighters, a black mage and a white mage.

However, I had some problems later in the game, because of a dungeon where you are forced to use magic to damage enemies. Then I switched the fighters for red mages for that section in particular.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

In Final Fantasy III, I used to have two fighters, a black mage and a white mage.

However, I had some problems later in the game, because of a dungeon where you are forced to use magic to damage enemies. Then I switched the fighters for red mages for that section in particular.

That's a good solution!

Final Fantasy is right up there with Zelda and Mario in my book. I started with VI on the SNES in 1995. The first time I played It I played it all night. My mother was pissed at me for doing that. Fortunately, it wasn't a school night. FFVII marked the first time I bought a non-Nintendo console since the Atari days and remains my favorite of the series. My other favorites are XII, IX, VI, and Tactics. I've since played all of the games.