7 27 18.88%

6 14 9.79%

5 11 7.69%

4 9 6.29%

3 3 2.10%

2 0 0%

1 1 0.70%

Total:143

That's the rumor. Supposedly they'll be announcing it before E3, specifically to allow E3 to focus on software.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Exclusively on Switch software. So no Switch Pro at E3? Will it be revealed before that?

Oh no ....

"I can't believe these alledged "leaks" might have been false to begin with !"

Is what I'd say if I wasn't cautious about it

The leaks say it is being announced before E3, not during or after it, so they haven't been disproven yet.

SKMBlake said:
Illusion said:

As soon as they announce a 4K Switch with DLSS, the sales of the original Switch are going to tank (probably for the rest of the year). 

No, as soon as they announce a 4K Switch DLSS at 399$, the sales of the original Switch will remain the same.

At this point all the hardcore people have basically already bought a Switch (over 80 million sold). The vast majority of the remaining 30-50 million buyers are either repeat buyers (malfunctioning hardware so buying another one, made a silly decision to sell Switch and want to buy one again, want multiple Switch's for convenience/family) or casuals that take a long time to come around. Casuals don't care about Pro models, so they either won't wait to buy a Switch or, when the Pro comes out, they will probably just be like "cool, I guess I'll get that one" and not think about it too much.

If Nintendo announced a Pro model around the time they came out with Lite then this would be a problem. But we are now 4+ years into the life of the system. This can only help them propel Switch sales.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 02 June 2021

Mar1217 said:
Dulfite said:

The leaks say it is being announced before E3, not during or after it, so they haven't been disproven yet.

And now, some of them just announced Friday the 4th as the announcement day ...

I really can't approve of this piggy-backing for so long.

But yeah, if nothing happens tomorrow, we'll have to see if anything magically happens next week. 

I doubt it strongly however,personally I don't think Nintendo has any guts to announce a new hardware revision litteraly one week before E3

I read midnight on the 4th is when pre-orders go live (according to a leak from a major retailer). Now, whether that means 12 am on the 3rd or 4th I don't know, either way it would be before their E3 presentation.

The fact that the presentation at E3 is only "roughly 40 minutes" long is a huge indicator to me that they will not be showing off hardware there, even if they didn't say it would be about software exclusively. I'm sure they'd spend at least 10-20 minutes covering details about the new hardware if they were planning on showing it at E3, probably closer to 30 minutes. I think it's safe to predict at this point, based on how many leaks have been happening from so many sources, that in about a day and a half we will know what the Switch Pro is. Now, we wait.

All I want is Zeruda BotW2 footage! Everything ells is just icing on the cake

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

Looking forward to seeing Botw2 running at 4k60fps.

Dulfite said:
SKMBlake said:

No, as soon as they announce a 4K Switch DLSS at 399$, the sales of the original Switch will remain the same.

At this point all the hardcore people have basically already bought a Switch (over 80 million sold). The vast majority of the remaining 30-50 million buyers are either repeat buyers (malfunctioning hardware so buying another one, made a silly decision to sell Switch and want to buy one again, want multiple Switch's for convenience/family) or casuals that take a long time to come around. Casuals don't care about Pro models, so they want wait to buy a Switch before now and when the Pro comes out, and when the Pro comes out they will probably just be like "cool, I guess I'll get that one" and not think about it too much.

If Nintendo announced a Pro model around the time they came out with Lite then this would be a problem. But we are now 4+ years into the life of the system. This can only help them propel Switch sales.

There may be some truth here, but the 4K Switch Pro won't be like the New 3DS which is a bit faster but where most of the new software is still compatible with the original 3DS, this is going to be close to a 2 generation leap in graphics.  I don't see how the original Switch is going to be getting much (if any) of the software that is being developed for the successor as you will basically need to create 2 separate games.  I don't see how even semi-casual gamers will be as likely to want to buy a handheld that may not be getting new games in 2022 other than maybe a sympathy port of BotW2 like the way that the Wii U got BotW.

I am not saying I want to see the OG Switch get phased out.  In fact, I think that it is quite likely that Nintendo may not reveal new hardware at all at this point like people are expecting.  Nintendo may let the original Switch run its course and once sales start to dip below 300k per week, reveal the new model.  Keep in mind that this may not happen this year.

Illusion said:
Dulfite said:

At this point all the hardcore people have basically already bought a Switch (over 80 million sold). The vast majority of the remaining 30-50 million buyers are either repeat buyers (malfunctioning hardware so buying another one, made a silly decision to sell Switch and want to buy one again, want multiple Switch's for convenience/family) or casuals that take a long time to come around. Casuals don't care about Pro models, so they want wait to buy a Switch before now and when the Pro comes out, and when the Pro comes out they will probably just be like "cool, I guess I'll get that one" and not think about it too much.

There may be some truth here, but the 4K Switch Pro won't be like the New 3DS which is a bit faster but where most of the new software is still compatible with the original 3DS, this is going to be close to a 2 generation leap in graphics.  I don't see how the original Switch is going to be getting much (if any) of the software that is being developed for the successor as you will basically need to create 2 separate games.  I don't see how even semi-casual gamers will be as likely to want to buy a handheld that may not be getting new games in 2022 other than maybe a sympathy port of BotW2 like the way that the Wii U got BotW.

I am not saying I want to see the OG Switch get phased out.  In fact, I think that it is quite likely that Nintendo may not reveal new hardware at all at this point like people are expecting.  Nintendo may let the original Switch run its course and once sales start to dip below 300k per week, reveal the new model.  Keep in mind that this may not happen this year.

I don't think you understand how the Switch Pro would be able to accomplish 4K resolution. This isn't a "pure" 4K like the PS5 or Series X does. It would use DLSS, which is essentially a high-tech upres solution, and would only effect the Switch in docked mode. It would take the current Switch games in 1080p, and display it in up to 4K through DLSS.

In handheld, it will still only be up to 720p, so it won't be much more capable than the current Switch and Switch Lite. This is why I don't think there will be any games that will be compatible only with the Switch Pro.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Illusion said:
Dulfite said:

The new device, in my opinion, will primarily be nice for people that have 4k TV's. I don't think there will be many games released on it that take tremendous advantage of DLSS and, therefore, cannot be built for the OG Switch/Lite. The device will only be relevant for roughly 2 years (by the time it releases) before the actual successor to the Switch comes out, and by then the vast majority of 3rd party developers will have already moved on to making exclusive content for that way more powerful device. The average time between pro devices (GBA SP, DSI, New 3ds) and their successors (DS, 3ds, Switch) are less than 2 years and we have no reason to believe Nintendo would break from their historic pattern without evidence. I just can't see them designing something that is "2 generation leap in graphics" only 4+ years into the life of an incredibly successful device. If this was a Wii U situation that would be understandable, but it isn't. They will confuse and annoy many of their consumers if they essentially abandon the OG/Lite Switch platforms in favor of developing exclusive content for Switch Pro.

If Switch Pro really is that much more powerful, I don't think Nintendo will make any exclusive games for it. And if Nintendo doesn't do it, I really can't see 3rd parties doing it much either. They know they won't have the selling power without major Nintendo exclusives launching alongside them for said devices. There will be a few exclusives to the Pro, probably no more than 1-3 Nintendo games and 10-15 major 3rd party games, but that's probably it. They know they will only have 20-30 million Pro devices max by the time this generation is all said and done that they can tap into, so why bother developing many games that small of a market can actually play?

If Switch Pro doesn't get revealed until next year (such as in the hypothetical you stated near the end of your comment), then it probably won't launch until end of 2022 or perhaps Spring of 2023. If they launch it Spring 2023 then I suspect it will simply be their next device, rather than a pro model, as that will be 6 years after Switch's Spring 2017 launch. 

Very annoyed that this is on a Tuesday. I get that they want to do it on a weekday where the media will have more people actually working, but it means I'll be working, and I'll have to dodge any news for about 7 hours till I can watch it.