By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg's report: Nintendo Switch 'Pro' Reveal Expected Before E3

scottslater said:

Sounds like E3 is turning into a Nintendo event...

As always since 2017

Around the Network

I am not surprised that Nintendo is phasing out the older model.  This is standard for them.  They usually phase out the older model when the upgrade comes along.

GBA -> GBA SP
DS -> DS Lite
3DS-> New 3DS

I guess the unusual part is the price increase.  However, going this long without a price cut is also unusual.  Perhaps they feel they can get away with increasing the price?  If demand drops, then they can just lower it again or bundle in some games.  

I personally hope they take a while to phase out the older model.  They are having a hard enough time keeping it in stock as it is.  Once the shiny new model gets released Nintendo is going to have a hard time keeping all of this hardware in stock.  They need to be meeting current demand, before they can phase anything out.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 27 May 2021

Even if Nintendo releases a $300 4K model, I am sure that they will release something new to occupy the $200 pricepoint as well. There is a lot of space between 4K and the 720P resolution that the Switch portable currently runs at for an upgraded economy model to fit nicely into.

Otter said:

Its sounds like Nintendo is ditching traditional console generations

Switch is just four years and three months into it's 8 year lifecycle. DS and 3DS both got multiple hardware revisions, without abandoning traditional console generations. Switch is just doing the same.

SKMBlake said:
scottslater said:

Sounds like E3 is turning into a Nintendo event...

As always since 2017

Cerebralbore101 said:
Otter said:

Switch is just four years and three months into it's 8 year lifecycle. DS and 3DS both got multiple hardware revisions, without abandoning traditional console generations. Switch is just doing the same.

SKMBlake said:

As always since 2017

If this brings on a wave of switch pro exclusives and switch pro goes on to be forward compatible, it will be quite different I.e Nintendo releasing games in 2024 on Switch Pro+Switch 2 but not the OG Switch. 

Anyway all will be cleared up soon enough, the specs/price of the system will be telling.

Around the Network

https://www.resetera.com/threads/jason-schreier-suggests-that-the-switch-pro-could-be-announced-tonight.432362/page-3#post-65882963

It's happening : )

Darwinianevolution said:
Kakadu18 said:

It would avoid confusion.

You have no idea how confused my parents were by all the 3DS models back then.

I don't think most customers would get confused anymore. The only ones who might not get the concept are parents searching for a console for their children, and as long as they play the same games, there should be no problem.

And of all gaming companies, Nintendo has the most parents buying for their kids where the parents may get confused. If anyone was gonna do it for that reason, it would be Nintendo. They are the Disney of the gaming industry.

Otter said:

Only if they can figure out how to not cut off previous purchasers from games coming out on Pro models.

cool!! miss the times when E3 live events were actually a thing :S

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

If the pro comes out. how will that impact future releases for the existing console? Will developers even make games for that system? Is this a true upgrade or just a system that can output 4K using DLSS tricks meaning games for the original console will still come out?

Hopefully it makes sense when they announce it. I personally would have waited a couple years to have a true successor that blows out the original switch out of the water.